Universal Combat v2.00.31 Freeware

Supreme Cmdr

As per this announcement, the game has been released as freeware. Some notes to bear in mind...

1. The installer only contains the single-player game. If you want multiplayer, buy UC Gold ($9.99) or one of the recent games (UCAWA, UCSE, UCCE) depending on your system setup
  2. Docs included: 90 page manual, 3 page commands sheet, 60 page tutorial
  3. Supposed to work with Vista. If not, edit the shortcut to the UC.EXE file in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode
  4. 100% unsupported. If you need support, read the existing threads in this forum. Create a new [support] thread and (1) it will be deleted (2) you will be ejected from the forum

Post any/all issues, thoughts about this release in this thread only. Post it anywhere else and it will be deleted.

Can't run the game? Sorry, you're on your own. Read the forums, the faq and ensure that you actually did read the game's requirements.

The game works just fine. That last patch, v2.00.30 was released back on 09-07-05. In fact, the freeware version contains the latest v2.00.31 which was an unreleased patch version.

The freeware version was tested and runs just fine on every consumer OS since 2003 to now; including Vista (32 Bit) Home/Premium/Ultimate, though on the latter, you may need to run the UC.EXE and UCMP.EXE files in Windows XP SP2 compatibilty mode.

Most startup issues are related to the playback of the intro movie due to missing codecs on some machines. Read the FAQ on how to bypass it.

*moved*

While I had some issues with the "personalities" here... I still have some great memories of Universal Combat. Youtube still has a video from back in the day... it really shows some of the cooler aspects of the game. Ah... the old days *snickers*

Universal Combat video

*moved*

after taking about 2 hour to fully understand the controls via tutorial and manual it is my understanding that UCCE is the latest in this series. what is the difference, meaning what advancements have been made other than the muliplayer. also after finally learning how to play.....then realizing that mainatianing your ship (go megaron!!!!!) requires huge amount of money i started trading in my shuttle. and was finally shot down after building about 700000 credits. it said i was KIA then it wouldnt let me reload the save. is that intentional? if so has that been changed in UCCE?

after taking about 2 hour to fully understand the controls via tutorial and manual it is my understanding that UCCE is the latest in this series. what is the difference, meaning what advancements have been made other than the muliplayer. also after finally learning how to play.....then realizing that mainatianing your ship (go megaron!!!!!) requires huge amount of money i started trading in my shuttle. and was finally shot down after building about 700000 credits. it said i was KIA then it wouldnt let me reload the save. is that intentional? if so has that been changed in UCCE?

UC is four generations behind UCCE. So to list the changes would be a long, arduous and pointless venture

KIA = Killed In Action. You can't restore a game in which you were already killed. Read the manual.

Hi all! I just joined the forums!

I had never heard of the BC series before, but recently I discovered UC due to it being highlighted at the fileplanet weekly newsletter, and I thought, well... must be another space sim, so I gave it a try...

Whoa was I wrong! At first I just launched the game as soon as it got downloaded, and attempted to go and try to get some basic control skills, so I loaded up a roam scenario, seeing there was no tutorial option... My first glance at the HUD got me quite a bit confused(a bit like this guy but without the stupidity). So I quit the game and started reading the tut and manual...

Now after a couple of weeks playing non-stop(in my little free time) I have to say I just fell in love with it! The depth found in it just astonished me from the start. I've been looking around in Spain for a boxed copy of UCSE and it's not that easy to find. I suppose I'll just have to buy an online copy at D2D.

OMFG that YouTube video was hilarious. I mean, seriously, the guy took like, I dunno, a full freaking minute to come up with a name for his character.

...then he laments that the manual is 69 pages. LMAO!!!

Anyway BOA, enjoy the game. If you are looking to pick up a copy of UCSE, you can only get it online. Check out the BUY section of our website. If you have the computer to run it, you should get UCCE instead of UCSE. You can also buy the boxed copy of UCCE from most of the sites listed and have it shipped to you. Try Amazon or whichever one ships to your country.

thanks for the replies, I just bought UCCE online and hope to be playing shortly...

oh and:

OMFG that YouTube video was hilarious. I mean, seriously, the guy took like, I dunno, a full freaking minute to come up with a name for his character.

...then he laments that the manual is 69 pages. LMAO!!!

If he takes that long to come up with a name, I just can't imagine how long he'll take to read the tut and manual. LOL

I, myself find learning an new game the most enjoyable part of it, I always try to get to know every aspect in it. And with a game like this... I'm gonna get a pretty good challenge... XD

• 2 weeks later...

Everything about this game is great. Except for one thingà

I keep getting crash to desktop with no error reports and nothing in the XP event log.

I have always been a fan of the genre, ever since Elite (BBC Micro). When I found this freeware game, just a couple of days ago, I was over the moon. I printed all the docs and have tried several times to complete the tutorial missions but I always gat a CTD at some random point during the game. (of course itÆs probably not random, but it seems that way at the moment)

I know this version is unsupported, but random CTDs are making it unplayable. ItÆs a real shame, I would love to play this game if it only it were possible.

PC spec:

2.5Ghz AMD dual core.

2GB Corsair RAM

7800 GT GeForce GFX card

XP Pro SP2

I have no similar problem with other DX3D intensive games (MS FlightSim X, Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source etc..)

Any ideas?

The FAQ included in the download has some pretty extensive hints and tips for running and configuring it. The game was developed in 2002-03, so don't expect miracles. If you're getting crashes, my guess is they are most likely DirectX or video driver related. You can also try running it in a window (/w1) and see if you get any error msg when it does crash.

What could this mean:

Every time I make planetfall in my battlecruiser MK3 then use the TACOPS to set waypoints for deploying mining drone from SC1, when SC1 is launched, it somehow appears in orbit OUTSIDE THE PLANET many thousands of feet above the first waypoint.

What does it mean when the radar (set to SUL) shows the just launched SC3 and SC4 with a range of æ1.$Æ (numeral one followed by a full stop followed by a dollar sign)?

Why does the æ-jÆ command line option fail to disable my Saitek joysticks yaw axis? (It drifts left so IÆd like to do without it)

Why does my command crew ignore me when I select Command>CC orders>Attack>Enemy. It just does nothing.

What could this mean:

Every time I make planetfall in my battlecruiser MK3 then use the TACOPS to set waypoints for deploying mining drone from SC1, when SC1 is launched, it somehow appears in orbit OUTSIDE THE PLANET many thousands of feet above the first waypoint.

What does it mean when the radar (set to SUL) shows the just launched SC3 and SC4 with a range of æ1.$Æ (numeral one followed by a full stop followed by a dollar sign)?

Why does the æ-jÆ command line option fail to disable my Saitek joysticks yaw axis? (It drifts left so IÆd like to do without it)

Why does my command crew ignore me when I select Command>CC orders>Attack>Enemy. It just does nothing.

So many questions. My ONE question is why people don't bother to read the manual. Yes, believe it or not, its all in there.

And if you don't know how to calibrate your joystick or why the yaw is disabled, then you CLEARLY have read neither the manual nor the game's FAQ.

Please don't post again about problems in a freeware game - which works just fine - and to which you were given all the docs.