Game Crash with error

Phased

After about five to ten minutes of play, the program will crash out and report the error

"GD error (glide): grTexDownloadMipMap:MipMap Cannot span 2 Mbyte boundarygd error (glide) grTexDownloadMipMapLevelPartial:MipMap level cannot span 2 Mbyte boundary".

Since this is my first post in the tech support forum, I'll include my system information.

P2 400

128 Megs Ram (128% true allocate load)

Model MP440BX Mainboard

Intel 824438x/ZX Chipset

Primary Video Card STB Velocity 128

Monster II 3D Accelerator

FBI Revision: 4

Frame Buffer Memory: 4 MB

Texture Mapping Unit(s): 2

TMU Revision: 4

Total Texture Memory: 8 MB

FxMemMap VxD Version: 4.10.01.0207

WinGlide 2.x Driver Version: 2.54

WinGlide 3.x Driver Version: 3.03.00.0667

Direct3D Driver Version: 4.10.01.0207

Direct3D 32-bit DLL Version: 4.10.01.0207

Direct3D 16-bit DLL Version: 4.10.01.0207

Using Glide2x.ovl off Downloads page

Telepath 56k Winmodem

SB AudioPCI 64V Soundcard

D-Link DE220 ISA PnP LAN Adapter

My Memory Configuration looks like this.

Memory Type Total Used Free

---------------- -------- -------- --------

Conventional 636K 55K 581K

Upper 39K 39K 0K

Reserved 0K 0K 0K

Extended (XMS)65,485K ? 129,752K

---------------- -------- -------- -----

Total memory 66,160K ? 130,333K

Total under 1 MB 675K 94K 581K

Total Expanded (EMS) 64M (67,108,864 bytes)

Free Expanded (EMS) 16M (16,777,216 bytes)

Largest executable program size 581K (594,784 bytes)

Largest free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)

MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

That error will only occur if (a) you are not using the provided BC3K3DFX.BAT file which limits the Glide card to 2MB or (B) you don't have the 2MB limit set in your card's properties.

Read the FAQ, thats why it was written.

Thank you, limiting the texture mem to 2 megs for glide aps has solved this problem. The game runs great for about an hour now. After about an hour (give or take 15 minutes) the program will exit back to the desktop. Reading through the FAQ (SEVERAL TIMES) I have a feeling the 581k free conventional memory might be the cause of this problem. I am using the config.sys settings suggested by the FAQ. Can anybody suggest a way to free more?

First, remove the close on exit tick mark on the shortcut so that you get to see what error message is displayed after it exits. Did you not see this in the FAQ?

As for 'freeing more', nobody here has a crystal ball, so how the heck do you expect anyone to know what you have in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files?

I quite literally meant I was using the config.sys displayed in the FAQ

CONTENTS OF CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSHIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=64 /VERBOSE

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE RAM VERBOSE

SHELL=C:WINDOWSCOMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P

DOS=HIGH,UMB

FILES=50

BUFFERS=40

STACKS=9,256

LASTDRIVE=Z

CONTENTS OF AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2

SET SNDSCAPE=C:WINDOWS

As for the crash error report, give me about an hour and I'll have that to you also.

------------------

Commander Phased

GCV Indomitable

ICQ 125478

"Follow me if I advance, kill me if I retreat, avenge me if I die!"

Ok, here my crash error report.

DOS/4GW Professional error (2001): exception 0Dh (general protection fault) at 1

27:0000080F

TSF32: prev_tsf32 6B10

SS 2C3 DS 0 ES 0 FS 127 GS 0

EAX 83FC174A EBX 217 ECX 0 EDX 0

ESI 14F EDI 127 EBP 0 ESP F9C

CS:IP 127:0000080F ID 0D COD 0 FLG 10206

CS= 127, USE16, byte granular, limit 5F8F, base 83931C90, acc FB

SS= 2C3, USE32, byte granular, limit FFF, base 83931C90, acc 40F3

DS= 0, USE16, byte granular, limit 0, base 83931C90, acc 0

ES= 0, USE16, byte granular, limit 0, base 83931C90, acc 0

FS= 127, USE16, byte granular, limit 5F8F, base 83931C90, acc FB

GS= 0, USE16, byte granular, limit 0, base 83931C90, acc 0

CR0: unavailable

Crash address (unrelocated) = 5:0000080F

Also, for some strange reason after I exit BC3K or it crashes, I can no longer open up a dos box. Instead, my system will either a) Present me with a black screen and my monitor will tell me it's recieving no signal, or B) it will lock. Perhaps this is somehow related to the crash problem?

------------------

Commander Phased

GCV Indomitable

ICQ 125478

[This message has been edited by Phased (edited 10-08-1999).]

You have a standard bad install, bad patch, bad configuration issue going on.

Go read the FAQ and start from scratch with your install.

Also, only use the Glide drivers from this site if you have the latest drivers for the 3Dfx card and the game still won't work.

Ok sir, I deleted all my patches save for my 1.0 to 2.01 upgrade and downloaded them again. I then deleted BC3K and installed following the direction in the FAQ to the letter. The game seems to be running fine, however I still have the before mentioned problem with the dos box not opening again after I quit BC.

Is this a system configuration problem on my part? Or is it possible my 1.0 to 2.01 patch could be corrupted? In which case I'm guessing I'm SOL?

------------------

Commander Phased

GCV Indomitable

ICQ 125478

If the patch were corrupted, you would not have been able to play the game.

I suspect that you are still screwing up somewhere and I'm not going to guess where.

So, you're on your own because all instructions are in the FAQ.

If the software version behaves fine and the 3Dfx version doesn't, it signals a driver problem. Did u try the Voodoo drivers on this site? Did you go into the display properties for the Monster card and limit the texture memory, disable triple buffering etc? Did u adjust your config.sys file in order to free up more conventional memory?

Knowing I have the most current drivers for my video card, I removed all of its drivers completely and then re-installed the standard drivers that came with my card then updated them to the most current. This has fixed the problem with the dos box.

So now I have a perfectly working 3DFX version of BC3K. Looks like it's about time to go put the hurt on those annoying Insurgents.

Thank you for all your help. I feel I've read that FAQ through so many times I'll someday be able to repeat it back to my children.

------------------

Commander Phased

GCV Indomitable

ICQ 125478

You know, I've been getting the same crash:

DOS/4GW Professional error (2001): exception 0Dh (general protection fault) at 1

27:0000080F

TSF32: prev_tsf32 6B18

SS 1FB DS 0 ES 0 FS 127 GS 0

EAX 85EA474A EBX 217 ECX 0 EDX 0

ESI 14F EDI 127 EBP 0 ESP F9C

CS:IP 127:0000080F ID 0D COD 0 FLG 10206

CS= 127, USE16, byte granular, limit 5F8F, base 8340FC90, acc FB

SS= 1FB, USE32, byte granular, limit FFF, base 8340FC90, acc 40F3

DS= 0, USE16, byte granular, limit 0, base 8340FC90, acc 0

ES= 0, USE16, byte granular, limit 0, base 8340FC90, acc 0

FS= 127, USE16, byte granular, limit 5F8F, base 8340FC90, acc FB

GS= 0, USE16, byte granular, limit 0, base 8340FC90, acc 0

CR0: unavailable

Crash address (unrelocated) = 5:0000080F

I wondered if I had a bad install, too (having read many historical postings that invariably concluded in bad installs). However, I can't recall getting anything other than the Congratulations pop-up boxes during my installs. I am starting from the 2.0 CD, then I applied the 2.0 to 2.07 patch, then the 2.07 to 2.08 patch and then the map pack.

Besides crashes, what else could I look at to verify a good install?

The problem you have encountered here as Derek would say is:

quote:

You have a standard bad install, bad patch, bad configuration issue going on.

Go read the FAQ and start from scratch with your install.

So there you go, delete the game with the method given in the faq and the install again using the directions in the faq. Follow the directions to the letter and this problem should be cured. Then, go through and read the whole FAQ, don't just skim it.

Good luck.

------------------

Commander Phased

GCV Indomitable

ICQ 125478

Guest Captain Ron

I fought with this problem for 2-3 weeks also and the solution really is in the FAQ.

It is just that there are soo many things to try and then you don't know if you have solved it for an hour or more of game time.

My solution was as follows:

1. Delete entire BC directory(again)

2. Install from V2.0 cd. DONT RUN IT!

3. Install V2.0 to V2.8 upgrade from BC directory

4. Install Mappack

5. Edit .bat files, and properties etc.

6. Setup sound

7. Close every resident program you have running.(icons at bottom right)

well, I left the clock..

OK.This would get the game running for about an hour or 2 untill a GPF reared its ugly head. I finally fixed it by:

1.Edited my config and autoexec to bare minimum.

himem.sys, emm386 and dos=high,umb

autoexec has set blaster, and windows loads a few drivers that my system requires.This took my low dos free mem to 613k from 609k,which should have been enough but wasn't.

2. Set DPMI all the way up to 60440M. (was getting desperate) I have 64meg.

3. I setup my yamaha sound card to emulate SB pro for digital but used mp401 for the midi. sounds better on my system and seemed to help, uses different interupt.

Bumping the low memory to 613 seemed to be the final solution on my system but cant be 100% sure. Once you get it set DONT TOUCH THEM AGAIN! smile.gif

YOU MUST START A NEW GAME !!EVERY!! TIME YOU change your settings because for some reason a saved game will still crash even if not for an hour.

Good luck all, I'm off to Gammula.

[This message has been edited by Captain Ron (edited 10-12-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Captain Ron (edited 10-12-1999).]

I lost count of how many times I've done what you said. Everything seems to be going fine in the early game.

I start out by ordering the BC to defend Galcom HQ while my shuttles go off on trade routes until I get my bank account up to a couple hundred million or so. Then I upgrade everything, fill up the tanks, check the oil, save the game,and then I'm off to clear out the raiders and insurgents.

This is when the problems start. The game doesn't seem to crash until I take an aggressive posture with the enemies. It usually happens after I set an enemy target in the FPD, but not until I switch to A/I Autopilot. That's when it crashes.

For example, with the autopilot active, if I order the BC to attack the game will crash immediately. If Autopilot is deactivated when I order the BC to attack, it will crash once the autopilot is turned on. Sometimes it will hyperjump towards the enemy and then crash once it gets there.

When this happens, I have to restart the computer (sometimes powering it off) to resume play from a savegame. If this gets me past the immediate crash (meaning I can now attack the enemy that was previously crashing), then sooner or later it will happen with another enemy.

I really enjoy this game, but I am becoming an expert in early trading but not getting to try the more advanced features of combat because I can't play long enough to get there before having to delete, reinstall, and start over again.

quote:

1.Edited my config and autoexec to bare minimum.

himem.sys, emm386 and dos=high,umb

autoexec has set blaster, and windows loads a few drivers that my system requires.This took my low dos free mem to 613k from 609k,which should have been enough but wasn't.

My memory is hovering around the 600k level. Does your config.sys also include the files=50 and buffers=40? My config.sys and autoexec.bat were both empty before I installed the game. They currently contain the statements from the FAQ and nothing else.

It's the buffers entry which takes the mem away. Try buffers=8, and, say, files=90. In a dos box within windows (which provides its own buffers), the dos buffers setting does not affect performance pretty much, i.e. you can keep it rather low.

The trick is to play with the entries in the config.sys file, and to add the entry "LH" in front of those in the autoexec.bat, who load programs (like keyb). A minium config.sys is not what you want, you need the emm386.exe ram line.

Example: my scsi controler is an adaptec 2940, which eats a lot of memory. I use the line

devicehigh=c:windowsemm386.exe ram x=a000-ccff

along some other lines, as proposed in the FAQ, within my config.sys, which excludes a certain area (which is occupied by the adaptec controller), but gives my a total of 601Kbytes lower memory, even with EMS memory activated.

Thomas (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

[This message has been edited by Thomas Siemens (edited 10-12-1999).]

Thanks for the tips. I will try reducing the buffers and increasing the files.

quote:

A minium config.sys is not what you want, you need the emm386.exe ram line.

I have the emm86.exe line, as per the FAQ. My minimum config contains all the lines from the FAQ, and only the lines from the FAQ.

quote:

The trick is to play with the entries in the config.sys file, and to add the entry "LH" in front of those in the autoexec.bat, who load programs (like keyb).

Certainly, you must recognize my uneasiness to tinker with ANY statement that is addressed in the FAQ, what with RTFM and all that. I would not, on my own, have done what you did because of all the admonishments that BC3K works as per the FAQ and all you have to do is follow the FAQ and all will be well. I don't mean this to be a flame or anything. I guess that I've just taken all the warnings not to tinker very seriously.

If this turns out to be a conventional memory problem and not an install problem, then hopefully, your suggestions will work.

Thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok the SC got a little peturbed at me in another thread i started on the EXACT problem that has recently been listed here. So here i am now in the thread i belong in and requesting help on freeing memory. Im at

569k and obviously need 40k or so more to be at spec for lower memory. IF the game still crashes after this is solved then i will know where else to look for problems much easier. I am quite sure it is a memory problem as it is a crash that happens relevent to combat and having the AI do thing for you in combat. HyperJumping to target will do the game in too. This is just as the fellow above has stated. Now I have done what the person who stated changing the files=90 and buffers=8 done but that did not seem to make any change to lower memory. I have a on board SCSI controler on my AZUS (i think thats whats its called)mother board. The tester that posted stated that this eats alot of conventional memory. If this is true, the how the heck do I get lower memory with out disrupting its function? I need the scsi controler active for my scsi cd-rom. Also here is my config sys. and autoexec.bat files:

config.sys contents are:

DEVICE=C:SCSIASPI8U2.SYS /D

DEVICE=C:SCSIASPICD.SYS /D:ASPICD0

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSHIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=64 /VERBOSE

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE RAM VERBOSE

SHELL=C:WINDOWSCOMMAND.COM /E:4096 /P

DOS=HIGH,UMB

FILES=90

BUFFERS=8

autoexec.bat is :

C:WINDOWSasp4dos.com

rem - By Windows Setup - C:WINDOWSCOMMANDMSCDEX.EXE /D:ASPICD0 /M:12

SET BLASTER=A240 I2 D1 T4

And here is what mem tells me:

Memory Type Total Used Free

Conventional 640K 71K 569K

Upper 87K 87K 0K

Reserved 0K 0K 0K

Extended (XMS) 65,385K ? 129,716K

Total memory 66,112K ? 130,285K

Total under 1 MB 727K 158K 569K

Total Expanded (EMS) 64M (67,108,864 bytes)

Free Expanded (EMS) 16M (16,777,216 bytes)

Largest executable program size 569K (582,528 bytes)

Largest free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)

MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

if 569k is really ok to run the game on and it must be another problem that i have not realized yet then please let me know. I have read the faq and manual and really cant think of anything else that could be causing the problem.

thanks for anyhelp that pinpoints a solution.

Read the thread again. Those who did, solved their problem from it.

I have two computers with Asus P2B-LS boards, which have onboard SCSI and Ethernet controllers and they work fine. Those settings in your config.sys are bogus and not required. You've obviously gone screwing around in your files and somehow ended with two SCSI drivers in the config.sys and one in the autoexec.bat. Then you wonder why you have no memory? What do you think? You can just add drivers (bogus ones at that) to those files and not run out of conventional memory?

Further, WIN9x comes with built-in SCSI drivers and there is no need to have those drivers in your config files.

Jumping to a target has nothing to do with memory anyway.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 11-12-1999).]

Guest Captain Ron

Along with what SC just mentioned, You *might* be able to free more memory by using Devicehigh, Buffershigh,Fileshigh,etc.

Worked for me. Also I found that the number of buffers and files in the faq works best so only change them as a last resort. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Captain Ron (edited 11-12-1999).]

For the record, I haven't had a chance to verify that I fixed this problem for me, since I had to go out of town for several weeks since posting to this thread, and I haven't had a chance to get back to it yet.

Since the early conclusion was a bad install/patch/config, I found this thread (http://www.bc3000ad.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000379.html) that contains a list of critical files that I compared to my files. They all matched up in size and dates (except for the few that came from the v1.0 disk, which had earlier dates). From this, I concluded that I did not have a bad install, since there were no messages to the contrary and my files matched up to the critical file list.

Since this thread is active again, I will have to make this a priority for me. I've been temporarily sidetracked by Red Baron 3D, but I see that it's time to park the Camel in the hangar and leave the holodeck for the real world.

More on this later.

Thank you so much for a quick response. I must defend myself though SC and say your tone is a little hostile and you are making assumptions that "I" set up my scsi. However the scsi was set up by the people i bought the computer from. I do not understand scsi much at all so thats why i did not notice anything wrong in the way it was set up. I know you are a very very busy person and im sorry to have upset you in anyway. I never expected the games actual designer to respond to my question.I just thought veteran users would answer the question. Thanks for personaly responding though. I wish more games designers/programers would respond to their fans. So now for the final question(s) then.

so if the config.sys and autoexec.bat have scsi drivers that dont belong which of em do i erase?

Also someone responded with saying to use the load device high etc.. which lines do i use it on?

I'm sorry im not as good as some of you verteran users in understanding these things, but I learn quick. I just need a bit more explaination in that particular area regarding what the sc said abour the scsi.

This is one of the best games I own and i like to enjoy it in every aspect it has to offer. Thanks again for all the help smile.gif