Sudden slowness

I've looked through the readmes and the manual and the online documentation but I can't find anything specific to this problem I have been having for quite a while:

Every time I launch a probe, or sometimes when I give a support ship orders to jump at a fluxfield (what i would normally use a probe for), or even in some rare random occurances, the game suddenly drops to an alarmingly slow framerate. It becomes so slow, the mouse only moves every 3 seconds. Normally, the game runs just fine but when it slows like that, I have to go back to a saved game and avoid doing whatever it was i did to cause it to slow like that (if possible) or spend the night with a turtle machine. I've gone over it and even fiddled with some of the properties of the file to fix it but that doesn't seem to work, so I've just gone back to using the default settings. I've already considered that it might be my system configuration even though i have more than the minimum requirements (P-233, 96mb ram, Voodoo2). If anyone has any ideas that might help, please let me know. Other than this minor annoyance I haven't had any problems.

Do a search for 'slowdown' or 'fluxfield' and you will find the answer.

Hint: Read your manual in the section that deals with fluxfields and how they operate and why you have no business sending a probe or any craft into a fluxfield.

What version are you running?

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 12-31-1999).]

I am using version 2.08

I heard about a 2.09 version but I haven't seen it on the download page when I last looked. I didn't think it was worth mentioning since I will probably just find it later anyway.

As for the fluxfields, I decided to manually pilot a shuttle through the fluxfield in question and ended up in places I didn't want to be so I'll just ignore them from now on. The reason I was interested in it is because I saw a fleet of heavily damaged galcom ships emerge from it on thier way to the starstation in the region. I thought that it would be worth investigating further, but just got lost in the end. So unless I have any specific reason to, I'm not going to be bothering with them again.

Hey one time, I entered one of those orange things. BUt by accident, the ship was on auto pilot near it or something. Anyway I entered NUllspace, and I tried flying back through to return to normal space, but it just would not go.

Anyway, which fluxfield were you at? And how many ships were in this Galcom fleet? Do you remember?

append: yes I know you can get otu of nullspace, I just couldn't get out at that time.

[This message has been edited by Cruis.In (edited 01-01-2000).]

Up at the top of this topic page, right under the "post reply" button is the search function ...

profile | register | preferences | faq | search.

Search the topic "fluxfield".

Read. Understand. Enjoy! smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. CorpseGravy

Serenity Seven