VERY specific, repeatable crash

The game crashes on my system whenever I give "BC ORDERS" to attack when A/P is on AI mode. I get the dreaded "General Protection Fault" and am kicked back to DOS. This is the only time the game crashes on me now.

I've tweaked for days and days, and it works fine, except for that. I have also searched recent posts on this board for similar posts.

My system specs:

PII-350

64Megs Ram

SB-64PCI sound card

Voodoo2-1000 8-Meg 3DFX

Win98

My shortcut settings are EXACTLY as the FAQ suggests, with Initial Environment set to 5120 (that's where the crashes stopped) and DPMI set to 32768.

After going through the FAQ about a dozen times (with it in one window and a DOS session in the other to make sure I had everything exactly right) and a clean install & patch-patch-mappak-patch, I got the game running great, except for that crash, which is very repeatable, on my system.

I am assuming this is a DPMI problem, from what I see on other posts.

Question: Is it safe to set DPMI to 65535 with 64 Megs RAM? If so, might this help?

Anchises

GCV Dawn Treader

[This message has been edited by Anchises (edited 01-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Anchises (edited 01-10-2000).]

I just tried it, no problems. BC follows orders and attacks correctly.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

ICV-Eclipse

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival."

I'm running 2.09. I'm fairly sure the crash is something specific to how I've got my machine configured, probably in the shortcut. I'm absolutely certain my AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are set to FAQ specs.

The only thing I can figure is that it's either the Initial Environment or DPMI settings. As I posted above, I've got initial environment set to 5120, and DPMI set to 32768.

Honestly, the more I play the game the more I like it. I want to get this worked out.

Anchises

GCV Dawn Treader

Try setting DPMI to Auto and start a new game (do not try old saved games). Or try DPMI 49152. Also, make sure there are no other programs running while you run battlecruiser. Btw., please also post the output of the "mem" command out of a dos box.

Thomas Siemens (a.k.a. Gudihl)

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Hey Thomas,

I just noticed that he said "Kicked back to DOS?" Is/Could his problem be that he's running it from pure DOS instead of using a shortcut within Windows? I think I had the same problem WAAAaaaaaaaaaYYYY Back there when I was new also? I know that current instructions and such, unless you go in and modify the shortcut, will kick you back to Desktop if it fails, rather than DOS. Just a thought. I'll go back to hunting Galcommies now! wink.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"

Guest freecycles

I am having the same problem and I am running from windows 98. I turned off the 'close on exit' checkbox in the shortcut for the game but it still exits clear back to windows. The specs on my machine are:

Pentium 233 mmx

64 megs ram

Awe 64 Sound Blaster

Voodoo3 2000 PCI

The game runs real smooth until I try to attack an enemy in AI mode. It doesn't always crash immediately, sometimes it waits until I make a hyperjump to close with the enemy ship and will crash immediately after I exit the hyperjump.

Did you check that you're not running any programs that are running under every windows session ie virus protection programs. Usually you can terminate those by left clicking little icons on the right down corner of your display beside the clock.

It's worth trying anyway.

And once more check FAQ, usually the answer lies right under your nose. wink.gif

CMDR Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining

This is very similar to my experiences documented in the thread "Game Crash With Errors" http://www.bc3000ad.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000369.html (I did not start the thread -- read down the list until you find my entries).

Most people have been able to resolve this problem with memory tweaks. Perhaps your solution lies there.

I wasn't going to get involved, but here goes.

Usually something like this is indicative of a bad install, bad patch, non-tweaked configuration or even playmod hacks.

I would suggest installing from scratch and then patching up to the latest version. Then tweaking your memory settings as per the FAQ. I would also disable MIDI music too, just in case. That chews up a lot of cycles all by itself and uses additional memory.

Also, use the Glide driver that is on our site instead of the one that came with your 3Dfx card. Check the FAQ.

btw, checking the close-on-exit box is not supposed to fix anything (*sigh* do people actually read my instructions?), it is just a tip to show you how to trap and view the error without the window closing automatically when the session exits with a crash. Thats all its used for.

Thanks for the suggestions, I fixed it, with your help.

Just on a whim, after checking the replies the other night, I set DPMI to 65535, and VOILA! No more crash.

Rattler, when I said "kicked back to DOS," I meant out to Windows, where the error message was in the DOS box.

Incidently, SC, I did have a problem with MIDI causing crashes, so I turned it off.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and help!

Anchises

GCV Dawn Treader

Guest Cmdr Josh Dilvorn

Never fear sir! GCV Conquest would take a hit for you any day!

------------------

GCV Conquest - ISS-08

ISS Fleet - Tactical Support Arm

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone"

What the *)&OY+##@? Looks like I need to rein in some Insurgents here. This is not the forum for fighting talk Gentlemen. Take it outside, down the corner a bit, and stop in the RP for a little blood letting if you please! wink.gif

But to be honest though, The SC's right! He's gonna need all the help he can get. biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"