No sound

Guest baffled

Guest baffled

I have retail version 2.08. Whe I run sound setup inthe bc3000 directory in DOS the test works perfectly -Soundblaster Pro Port 220 DMA 1 IRQ 5. however when I try to run the game it freezes at Initialising Sound card (0x220,5,1) 11Khz and the a flashing cursor. I have looked at the Sound card properties within Control Panel in Win 98 and find Interrupt request-11 Memory range F4000000-F4007fff and a No conflict message.I have a Yamaha ds-xg soundcard Celeron 300 processor and am running the software version.FAQ and other posts suggest that if the sound test works in setup it should work in the game. I cannot get it to do so. Does anyone know how i can resolve this problem?

------------------

Quoting from the FAQ....

quote:

Due to some incompatibilities, you may have to disable MIDI if you experience loss of sound

or unexplained crashes when running the game. You can do this from within the game using the

CONFIG program.

Also, I noticed you saying that you run the sound setup from DOS? Did you mean to say that you ran it from the shortcut that you found by going to Start, Programs, BC3000AD v2.08, Sound Setup? If not, I suggest you try it from there. Just remember, if you haven't found the answer, look some more. Try using all the search functions here at this site also. Try disabling the midi from the above shortcut first.

Good Luck Commander, Shout if you are still stuck.

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"

Ok i had this problem when I first installed it too. I chose ensoniq sound card for digital sounds. and when i tested it, it played fine, but when chose ensoniq again for midi and tested it, it would freeze.

so i just chose sound blaster for midi and it worked. i didn't choose my card even though it supported it directly. you have to make sure your sound card has sound blaster emulation enabled though smile.gif

on my system this is done from, control panel, then double click system.

then look for your sound card double click its properties, siff through the tabs at the top till you get to this option and make sure it's ticked for enabled.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Hmm, you have a Yamaha card huh. Well so do I so try the following.

quote:

Q. I HAVE A PCI PLUG 'n PLAY SOUND CARD, HOW CAN I CONFIGURE IT?

A. Though the HMI sound system used by BC3K supports a lot of cards, there are some obscure ones

that are not supported. For instance, this example shows you how to hack it so that you can

make it work. No matter what card you have, if it does not have Sound Blaster DOS legacy

support or at least emulation support, it will NOT work.

quote:

From a full screen DOS session, go to the BC3K install directory and run SETUP.EXE for the

HMI sound system. Select the 'select digital' option and select all the defaults. You will not be

able to enter an IRQ. Do NOT test it. Click on OK to return to the menu. Go to 'select midi' and

do the same. Again, do NOT test it. Select OK to return to the menu. Finally, scroll down and

select OK to exit the menu and OK again to save the config.

quote:

Using C:WINDOWSNOTEPAD.EXE or similar text editor, open up the HMISET.CFG file in the BC3K

install directory. Make sure you set NOTEPAD to view all files because it defaults to *.TXT. With

the file open, it should look like BEFORE version below.

BEFORE (sample) A

[DIGITAL] [DIGITAL]

DeviceName = *ESS AudioDrive DeviceName = *ESS AudioDrive

DeviceIRQ = **-1 DeviceIRQ = 5

DeviceDMA = 1 DeviceDMA = 5

DevicePort = 0x220 DevicePort = 0x220

DeviceID = 0xe019 DeviceID = 0xe019

[MIDI] [MIDI]

DeviceName = ESS AudioDrive DeviceName = ESS AudioDrive

DevicePort = 0x388 DevicePort = 0x388

DeviceID = 0xa002 DeviceID = 0xa002

*It should be Soundblaster, the default in setup.

**change this to your own IRQ

Run game, now you have sound.

BTW, DOWNLOAD the latest drivers from the Yamaha site. If you don't, BC3k will NOT work with your Yamaha SG-XG soundcard.

[This message has been edited by SpacePhish (edited 02-02-2000).]

check the new commanders forum and read the topic that's titled all new commanders read this

------------------

Commander J.Smith

GCV-ENTERPRISE

WRAITH FLEET

"Choose your allies wisely, for they may turn against you"

Guest baffled

I have attempted configuration without MIDI to try and simpify matters.I have attempted config. both from DOS as suggested in FAQ and also from Win 98 shortcut. Test in DOS produces sound OK. Test in Win98 freezes.

I tried ensoniq as suggested by "CRUIS.IN" but no success.

I have tried PLUG 'n PLAY for PCI card routine -no joy. Default appears to be "NO DIGITAL DEVICE" not soundblaster. When I select Soundblaster or SB Pro IRQ is 5. Many thanks for all suggestions but I am still stuck. Posts state my card must have DOS legacy support or emulation support. I am no expert and not sure how tho check this on my system. I have DOS games that work fine with sound. When I check my card within Control Panel/System I find a line- Yamaha ds-xg legacy support system. Would all this suggest my system meets requirements? Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

I didnt suggest using ensoniq. how could you use ensoniq when you have a yamaha card.

I said just choose the 'sound blaster' option for music or midi. if your yamaha card is supported for digital. click that. but it seems like you got your digital sound tested ok. but its the midi. just do like i said and it'll work. but you have to have 'sb' emulation enabled on your YAMAHA soundcard. dog legacy or whatever.

you can check this from control panetl>system>sound video and game controllers

and scroll along the tabs of the properties for that, and see if you have sb emulation enabled on your card. if you dont, enable it, then go Bc3k and choose soundblaster as your midi device.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Guest baffled

Could find no reference in soundcard properties to SB emulation or DOS Legacy support. However in the soundcard game port properties in DeviceManager/Systems there is a check box "disable in this hardware profile" When this check is cleared the sound now works within the game.

Glad you found your problem. Good Job Commander! smile.gif Not going to ask how that profile got disabled, don't want to know. Just remember where you found the problem, just in case it comes back sometime AFTER someone else has been playing around with your computer! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"