3dfx versoion with a voodoo 3 3000

Hey, after three years here, you gotta ask. wink.gif

Just for kicks, try running without your config.sys and see what happens. Let Windows use its defaults (unless you need your config for something else).

Other questions:

You patched up to version 2.09, right?

You ran the sound setup, right?

You are running with the latest mouse and sound drivers, too, right?

What's your DOS memory?

[This message has been edited by Steve Schacher (edited 12-30-2000).]

I ran the sound setup yes and its 2.09 and I have no idea about mouse and sound drivers... teh ones straight from the company wont work with mine sense mine is a gateway and the drivers gateway supplys has 404 links so you cant get anyof them so as far as I can get them these are the latest drivers I can get...I have run it before although it kept crashing on me in the middle of the game in 3dfx mode(that was before the upgrade to win me. oh and also my mem is set on auto and I will try it with higher mem. does that answer

your questions????? please I am not some computernewbie who thinks their cdrom drive is a automatic cupholder(that has happened before, although not to me) I code a mud(multi user dungon) online. so I know a thing or two about computers...I was raised on dos and then later hyperdos. so you can dispense with many of the newbie questions on me oh and also my config sys is vital...I dont know why but I had a problem and tried to not use the config sys and it totally crapped up my system...

------------------

My crew says "Our Commander is like a mule with a spinning wheel no one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it....."

[This message has been edited by Commander Blake (edited 12-30-2000).]

OK. I also have a Gateway. Mine is a P3 550 with a Voodoo3 3000AGP. My soundcard is the onboard Soundblaster 64PCI.

You are more PC literate than I am, but the only mem requirement is that the initial environment setting must be 4096. DOS memory above about 590k should be plenty.

I've heard of problems with WinME, since it came out a few years after BC3K. Your problem may lie there. Search this forum on WinME for more info on other's experiences.

For me, I'm running Win98. After much tweaking, I finally resolved my (different) problems by updating all my drivers, eliminating the config and autoexec, and while the glide2x.ovl worked, I finally got a stable platform without having to use it.

I am currently running the BCM beta, so I not active with BC3K anymore. This is about as far as I can help you. Maybe someone with WinME can take you further.

Sorry, but welcome aboard. If you are into space sims, you found the right product. I'd suggest you try to get BCM as soon as possible since BC3K is dated (as you are finding out).

Good luck.

quote:

please I am not some computernewbie who thinks their cdrom drive is a automatic cupholder

We treat every newbie as a complete and total newbie, until proven otherwise.

In any case, since you think knowledge of DOS is a qualification for being an expert....

1. How'd you miss the memory suggestions in the FAQ, since you claim to still have your memory in the shortcut set to AUTO?

2. If the FAQ lists barebones config.sys/autoexec.bat settings, they are there for a reason. Did you use them?

3. Why did you not provide your system specs, including OS used?

4. Did you install the game using the defaults? i.e you didn't install to a folder with longfilenames, did you?

quote:

I've heard of problems with WinME

Apart from the fact that BC3K is not supported under WinME, I didn't see where he said that he was using that OS

I must have missed that. Thanks Steve!

At any rate, I guess he didn't see the entry I made on 12-14-00 in which I added WinME to the list of unsupported operating systems.

So, for folks like this, I just, this minute, added its own Q/A entry in the BC3K v2.0x version control file seeing that lumping it in with WIN2K, Linux et al, didn't seem to get the message across the first time.

I am sorry I didint mention this but I tried the memory suggestions in the faq...although I think it might help if I run it in pure dos mode windows me has no way of getting into pure dos mode that I have found yet...nothing in the shutdown menu and even in startup the hit f8 thing doesnt seem to work...oh...also just last night for no apparent reason the normal(non-3dfx) version crashed on me...I was in tacops...iirc(if i remember correctly)when it crashed...never happened to me before on the normal version(note:I do realize you said win me is unsupported... oh well oh and sorry about not listing my system specs I thought that because I had no prob with it before win me It wouldn't matter except for the voodoo 3 part thanks for everything and SC goodluck with that guy at apu's hardware...forgot his name...and I am planning on signing up for the beta...just one thing do you think it would run on a 350 pentium II 96 megs ram and a voodoo 3 card( of corse)

------------------

My crew says "Our Commander is like a mule with a spinning wheel no one knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it....."

BC3K will not run in a pure dos environ to my knowledge. I also run WinME and just about everything inbetween. So far the only problems I had was it not running on Win2k... Course I had a pretty good idea it wouldn't but I wanted to try for the heck of it. As for the crashes: BC3K 2.09 is farily stable, but I've had quite a few crashes in my playing time. I usually just save often, however I was usually able to go for about 2 or 3 game hours between each save.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

I am talking about 10-15 mins into the game this thing crashes...and it has always been stable before. oh yea i forgot about it not running in pure dos. oh well off to play...hopefully

------------------