error message on start-up

Sorry for not answering the messages, i've been away on business. thanks jaguar for the Advice on builing my own PC, i am going to look into that very seriously. sorry SC about not finding my prob in that FAQ's i thought that i had searched it good, for a solution. i'm not very computer literate like most of the guys that are on here, but i will do my best to figure it out. to be honest everything about VGA cards and BC3k.bat files sound like latin to me. but there is nothing like the good ole college try. thanks SC thanks again everyone for ALL of you help and your advise. hopefully i will find what i need in the walkthru in FAQs an be up and flying again

[This message has been edited by Commander Deener (edited 02-05-2001).]

OK i'm taking the SC's advice, i read the the FAQ's the first time, and i don't know how i missed that info about editing BC3K.BAT file. that is my mistake, but now my prob is finding that particular file. i used find files and folders, but it only showed me the BC3K file, not that BAT file that i asked it to look for. i also look in the BC3K folder, but i still was not able to find the BC3K.BAT file. what am i doing wrong?

Sounds like you have "HIDE FILE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES" enabled.

If your runnig win9X

Open up windows explorer

Left-click on View

Left-click on Folder Options

Left-click on View Tab

remove the X or checkmark on "HIDE FILE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES"

Left-click on Apply

Now try and find your file.

------------------

Commodore Wold

ICV-Drakr, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Commanding Officer, Spectre HQ

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

OK WOLD I DID THAT. AND I DID WHAT THE SC SUGGESTED, I CHANGED THE /V1 TO /V74, AND NOW I'M ABLE TO GET INSIDE THE GAME WITHOUT IT BLINKING ALL CRAZY, BUT I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO ANY OF THE PLANETARY OPTIONS IN TACOPS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY OF THE MISSON ZONES. I MEAN THAT IT SHOWS WHERE THE ZONES ARE, BUT WHEN I CLICK ON THE ZONES, THERE IS NOTHING THERE. NO MATTER HOW CLOSE I ZOOM IN. I CAN ZOOM IN FAR ENOUGH TO SEE THE GROUND, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THE CITIES ARE. ALSO MY SCREEN IS STILL WAY TOO BIG, I CHANGED MY SCREEN OPTIONS AGAIN AND IT STILL DID NO GOOD, ITS NOT THAT KINDA PROBLEM I DON'T THINK. I THINK ITS STILL A VIDEO PROB. BUT I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA TO BE HONEST. IF ITS ANY HELP, WHEN I'M ON THE INTRODUCTION SCREEN, WHERE IT SHOWS THE OPTIONS TO START A NEW GAME, OR CONTINUE, OR EXTREME CARNAGE, EVERYWHERE I MOVE THE MOUSE, THE SCREEN PEELS AWAY. I BELIEVE IF YOU HELP ME FIND A WAY TO FIX THAT, IT WILL FIX ALL MY OTHER PROBLEMS. BUT THEN AGAIN, I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT ANYTHING. PLEASE HELP ME. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THOSE REALLY LARGE SMILIES AT THE END OF THIS, BUT IF I COULD MINE WOULD BE THE ONE WITH ALL THE TEARS OF ANGUISH.

[This message has been edited by Commander Deener (edited 02-08-2001).]

quote:

ALSO MY SCREEN IS STILL WAY TOO BIG, I CHANGED MY SCREEN OPTIONS AGAIN AND IT STILL DID NO GOOD,

Did chipinfo return your card as a 74?

According to the link that Gallion posted you have an Intel Direct graphics card.../v74 is for Integraphics. I'm not sure if Integraphics is Intel or not. You may try /v76 as that is for the Intel i740, not exact so don't know if it will work.

You may also try, if you haven't, setting your desktop video to 640X480 16bit before starting the game.

Hope this helps...

------------------

Commodore Wold

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

Yes WOLD, chipinfo said it was 74, and i have adjusted my screen sizes thru all the available options. and i have installed the mappak, i installed it on top of the 2.08-2.09 patch. i just thought it was a patch because i apply it when i apply the others. can someone tell me if there is something that i've missed in the FAQ's? i have read it several times. its hard to believe that i missed something, but let me know if you think i have.

[This message has been edited by Commander Deener (edited 02-09-2001).]

Okay, I will. If memory serves me right it was 2 bandaids, a roll of duct tape and a bottle of superglue, that's how I applied the map pak!

Uh, wait, was that question for Deener?

------------------

Commodore Wold

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

ok here's Exactly what i did. i installed that game. then i ran the sound setup. then i installed the 2.00-2.08 patch, then the mappak, on top of that, (i know i said otherwise but i was just typing and thinking to fast) then i applied the 2.08-2.09 patch. after i ran the chipinfo, and changed it to (74), the crazy blinking stopped. but it leaves me where i am now. thx again guys for helping me cwm45.gif

To see if the map pak took, try looking at Earth. click on a mission zone and you should see some tiny, blinking squares. Zoom in on that tiny, blinking square and you should see something. IF not, reread Gallion's earlier post and reload the game (I know, you've done it many times already) per Gallion's list. Note: As Gallion stated do the sound config last even though you aren't having sound problems.

If your display is still having problems then read the faqs and follow the instructions about installing the Sci-Tech Display Doctor. It is included on the BC3k v2.0 cd.

------------------

Commodore Wold

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

yes i did aramike, i installed it right into the folder and ap[lied it in the folder. i also re-did everything the way Gallion said to again, and it didn't work. i guess its time to finally put the game away. i can't believe that after two years, two months i have to put my game away. its depressing. thx everyone for your help. i give up. cwm45.gif