I desperatly need assistance!

Concerning the config.sys file above. Aren't the himem.sys and emm386.exe supposed to be loaded first? In that order?

One or the other must be loaded first for other things to work. Right? Just can't remember which one.

There is a good article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base concerning freeing up conventional memory. microsoft.com>support>search page: win998se as the os, keywords: free memory, dos memory, conventional memory.

wish I would have posted earlier when I was looking it up.

Wold, do you remember that program that used to be included with win95 that would reconfigure your "startup" files for optimal performance? I do . I remember the folder it was in as well. Just don't want to mention it yet. Would that help?

Shouldn't it be

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSHIMEM.SYS

DEVICE=C:WINDOWSEMM386.EXE

DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO

FILESHIGH=80

BUFFERSHIGH=40,4

SHELL=C:COMMAND.COM /P /E:4096

DEVICEHIGH=C:WINDOWSSYSTEMCPQIDECD.SYS /D:IDECD001

DEVICEHIGH=C:WINDOWSCOMMANDDRVSPACE.SYS /MOVE

DEVICEHIGH=C:ESSAUDIO.SYS

???????? I see where you told him to move essaudio below the memory managers. Bad on me.

Load your memory managers first. Then define the environment. Then load high (devicehigh) other programs?

Heh, another edit, and you can't view previous posts.

Dude, don't do a thing until Wold or someone else confirms or denies my speculations.

I'd hate to screw your system.

Messing with these files can.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Charles Lindsey ]

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Charles Lindsey ]

I do remember that program w/ dos 6.X, but don't ever remember MS providing anything like that with Win9x. He is running Win98, so if you know of a util. that will do that, cough it up!

IMO, you are right about the environment settings, the devices should be after the environment settings, but for some reason (or not) Compaq or ESS puts that driver 1st in the list. That was why I hesitated on having him move it further down the list...

I could be wrong here, but HIMEM.SYS then EMM386.EXE must be loaded in that order and b4 the use of DEVICEHIGH.

Ecthelion II, what is your available free memory now? From the mem /c? Your change to the autoexec.bat file should be ok as long as you put a space after the LH or LOADHIGH. Setting up your config.sys file in the order that Chavik listed is the clean way to do it.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Wold ]

Here is what my Autoexec.bat looks like now:

LOADHIGH C:PROGRA~1NETWOR~1MCAFEE~1SCAN.EXE C:

@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

@ECHO OFF

C:ESSAUDIO.COM

I changed my config.sys to what Chavik suggested. But the line "Largest Executable Program Size" still reads: 553,856 (541K)

quote:

but don't ever remember MS providing anything like that with Win9x.

I do. And I finally found it on my win95 Companion CD. MEMMAKER.EXE!!!!! Couldn't for the life of me remember that last night.

quote:

He is running Win98, so if you know of a util. that will do that, cough it up!

I remember memmaker did a ton of good for the old system. Don't know if will work on win98 though. Seems like it would since 98 still has sdos support.

Anyone got an old system they willing to experiment on?

I have uploaded it to http://members.aol.com/chavik/memmake.zip <--- now a bad link . You will get an action cancelled page because I didn't make a web page but the download manager should pick it right up. Getright did on this end.

The zip file includes the exe, the help file, and the inf file. I seem to remember it had to be in the windows directory but don't know if it needed any .dll to run. I also seem to remember it will make a backup and restore to previous version if you don't like the changes but I could be wrong on that one.

If this doesn't work perhaps there are other memory "doctors" on the web.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: Charles Lindsey ]

That's the program from msdos 6.x., maybe even ver 5. Every now and then it would error and end up in a cyclic reboot. I'll experiment w/ it.

Ecthelion II , add that LOADHIGH in front of the C:ESSAUDIO.COM line. The other shouldn't matter 'cause once it's done scanning the system it unloads from memory.

IF you are still getting the same results from mem /c then type the following at the prompt:

MEM /C > C:MEMORY.TXT (enter)

Now you will have a file called MEMORY.TXT that you can open w/ notepad. (From notepad File -> Open then type C:MEMORY.TXT then click OK)

Copy and past the results here.

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: Wold ]

I typed LOADHIGH in front of both lines twice and both times it only saved it on the first line. It would not stay in front of the ESS line.

Here is what notepad shows for MEMORY.TXT.(I had to look for this file using FIND. It did not find it when I tried to open it through notepad)

Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory

-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------

MSDOS 44,816 (44K) 44,816 (44K) 0 (0K)

HIMEM 1,168 (1K) 1,168 (1K) 0 (0K)

EMM386 9,856 (10K) 9,856 (10K) 0 (0K)

DBLBUFF 2,976 (3K) 2,976 (3K) 0 (0K)

CPQIDECD 9,168 (9K) 9,168 (9K) 0 (0K)

IFSHLP 2,864 (3K) 2,864 (3K) 0 (0K)

WIN 3,680 (4K) 3,680 (4K) 0 (0K)

vmm32 15,664 (15K) 15,664 (15K) 0 (0K)

COMMAND 11,120 (11K) 11,120 (11K) 0 (0K)

Free 553,872 (541K) 553,872 (541K) 0 (0K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free

---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------

Conventional 655,360 101,488 553,872

Upper 0 0 0

Reserved 393,216 393,216 0

Extended (XMS) 57,671,680 253,952 57,417,728

---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------

Total memory 58,720,256 748,656 57,971,600

Total under 1 MB 655,360 101,488 553,872

Total Expanded (EMS) 58,130,432 (55M)

Free Expanded (EMS) 16,777,216 (16M)

Largest executable program size 553,856 (541K)

Largest free upper memory block 0 (0K)

MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chavik, you didn't include all the needed files in that zip package. Run memmaker from a dos shell (make sure the box marked "prevent program from detecting windows" is checked) and a file list will show up.

Ecthelion II: I noticed that nothing is still being loaded in upper memory. Try removing the AUTO from the "DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO" line in the config.sys file.

Ok Wold. Complete file is at http://members.aol.com/chavik/memmake2.zip You may download the complete file with all additional files included

The additional files you need to add are at http://members.aol.com/chavik/memneed.zip if you only want to download those.

I added chkstate.sys and sizer.exe .

Hope that completes the file.

Do I hear guinea-pig?

Charles, you're a genius! I just happend to need a new 'lean' DOS bootdisk today. Guess what? Memmaker made me a solid 624kb with the usual cdrom, mouse, files and buffer drivers and thingies. Mucho gracias, my friend.

For the record, I used this WIN95b bootimage for the disk, as there's only Microshit's LoseMe around here. Had to kick MSD.exe of the disk to get enough space, and used Cutemouse and this universal cdrom driver.

Now, let's see if I can beat that 610kb (per SC's FAQ) of my win95a bc3k system in the comming days.

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

• 2 weeks later...

No luck. Here is what it still says in my MEM file:

Total memory 58,720,256 748,656 57,971,600

Total under 1 MB 655,360 101,488 553,872

Total Expanded (EMS) 58,130,432 (55M)

Free Expanded (EMS) 16,777,216 (16M)

Largest executable program size 553,856 (541K)

Largest free upper memory block 0 (0K)

MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

• 2 weeks later...

Another problem with sound, this time it's an SBLive! card.

I ran the Sound Setup program, selected Sound Blaster 16/AWE32, ran the test, and the program froze. The game also froze during its attempt to initialize sound. The game works when no sound device is selected, but (obviously) there is no sound.

I have checked the following things:

1. The SB16 Emulation is successfully initialized at system startup (I have Win98).

2. The IRQ, DMA, and I/O values in hmiset.cfg match the values for SB16 Emulation in Control Panel.

3. SB16 Emulation is not disabled in the hardware profile.

4. No MIDI device is selected in Sound Setup (the FAQ said something about potential incompatibilities).

Any ideas?