thruster failure - stuck in jumpgate

hello everyone

i┬┤m playing v2.9 on software mode. no significant problems so far, except that i sometimes get stuck with my ship on certain locations. these were so far: a jumpgate to uranus2 and the immediate vicinity to saturn. the ship will stop moving, the speed indicator will get stuck on the last actual velocity (it changes when i turn into different directons though), and when i press F10, the ship is invisible.

is this a bug or a feature ? i.e. can i do something to escape or not let that happen ?

and some more questions:

1. what are playmods ?

2. is the number of hostile ships given, i.e. will they decrease when i clear enemy some bases ? is it possible to pacify a patrol zone more or less permanently ?

3. is there a way to alter the appearance of my ship by replacing some 3D model files ? i saw a ship model flying around that i like much better than the standard BC

thank you SC for giving us this wonderful game ! if only the interface was a little less confusing it would be the best game ever produced. but even so it is one of the best games i played yet

best wishes

cmdr apollon, GSV haenelonia

I'll answer as best I can, most likely another poster will grab the rest or make you RTFM on a few of those q's.

With the hyperdrive thingy, I dunno because I don't have that problem and I actually dug out a old voodoo card at a flea market (15$ hehe) specifically for BC3000ad :-)

As for your questions:

1) Cheat programs. If you've got the zip with them in there I suggest you read the text files that came with it.

2) a. Well the ships may decrease if you capture say a starbase and it starts blowing stuff outta the sky for you, otherwise I doubt it

b. No.

3) I know it's possible in BCM, and another post in this forum said it's possible in BC3K, I suggest you go look at the modability post.

Not sure if this is it or not, but you may be stuck in "nullspace" try targeting another object (planet,ship, starstation, jumpgate) setting it as your flight path and jumping to it.

Playmods are cheat programs that edit your saved games to give various bonuses. They can cause unpredictable results and even corrupt saved games.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If you capture or destroy an enemy starbase it will stop launching fighters and capships at you, so yes in that way you can decrease the numbers of enemies. However, BC3K is dynamic so there is no stopping an enemy fleet from waltzing through your patrol zone, so no you can't permanetly clear an area, though if you spent all of your time there you could keep it clear. Of course that still leaves a few dozen or so other areas you aren't keeping an eye on.

It might be possible in Bc3K, but not likly that you can figgure out what to do to change the models, so I would say, no you probably can't do it in BC3K.

See? Another newbie, and a polite one at that. Even though the demo and free versions are NOT supported, don't you just want to help this guy?? I sure as hell do (unlike those two other idiots I just banned)

Anyway, you may be in nullspace. Just target the single jump point in there, and fly out.

thanks all for trying to help (even if to no avail )

targeting and trying to jump out of nullspace didn┬┤t work. i just will have to accept the danger of hypertravel. "jump at your own risk"

i visited saturn today, and at first i was disappointed, because there were no rings. only asteroids flying around... until i zoomed out and realised that the rocks are actually the rings... i was struck in awe ! i only expected them to be some sort of textured decoration, but they were actually there ! and i was inside them (the rings i mean)

i would love just to explore this phantastic universe, if there only weren┬┤t so many hostiles roaming around

i wish there was a way to make this spawning out of nowhere less frequent. well, i┬┤m off to try my luck with the GBS... maybe this will rid me of those worthless insurgents

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: Apollon ]

Apollon,

Your best bet is to find some quiet spot and train up your crew. Smart (no pun intended) crews help you live longer.

Also, get those mining drones working full time. Once you get enough GalCreds you can buy many nifty upgrades for your CC, not to mention the artifacts you can relieve the bad guys of, once your ship has enough guts to take a beating.

Welcome to the BC universe and good luck.