Reingard and Salamanda

Guest New Shadow

Well I took a look at my old notes for this mission I archive everything

although parts of these note no longer seem to make sense I seem to have a couple of techniques I've used to find the Salamanda

From reading the script file I can see that the Salamanda is using AI to control the cloak not the script,if it detects you it will always attack, and from my notes It would seem that it is not always cloaked??

code:

!detect bc

attack bc

I seem to have used several methods of taking out the Salamanda depending on what I find and conbinations of all 3

a)

This trick works on any ship you want to capture / destroy

This one is best with all the main upgrades to max slightly higher risk than some but works well when mastered.

unload missiles and place in SC or ATV crew will reload them if not

PTA off

Radar passive

Cloak on in safe region and hyper to search region

If your lucky enough to locate your target (Salamanda) with cloak off you can tow (hence the weapons off)

I know what your going to say you'll be shot to piece with the shields down but

1) The towed craft cannot fire on you or launch fighters and missiles

2) power will bleed back into the shields to give partial protection and the cloak is still up

3)until you are right ontop of the target no one knows your even in the region so cannot attack

You will receive some damage very little 1 or 2% to the odd system but with practice and sometimes using manual control the damage you receive is minimal

But you must hyper out of the region fast and decloak when safe

If you like launch a fighter and take potshots at the towed craft but remember to collect its cargo.

B)

When searching (cloak off) don't just hyper through the region if the targets cloaked you must give it time to attack you so loiter around and pick off any enemy craft that approach don't hyper from one location to another within the region

c)

Occasionally the Salamanda will decloak when this happens you must get it in the target priority list via attack enemy Salamanda. then when it cloaks again just use attack - priority - Salamanda and although you can't see the Salamanda the HUD will give the location for a few seconds (15 to 20 sec)

keep repeating the target bit and fire into the "empty" space the HUD is targeting

once you get a hit if memory serves me right the craft is silhouetted or partially decloaked so you can close in for the kill.

[ 06-21-2001: Message edited by: Pugwash ]

Thank you, Pugwash! Your message by #ICQ bringing to me with a 'little delay' - cause we have a difference in time zones! I have Internet ONLY at my office - not at home.

About deal: I have a question for you... WHYs You doing all that things with SC & ATV - for its reload? something depending on it? if YES - tell me please about it some more...

If you unload the missiles to the weapons pod and order "attack" instead of "Fly to" or "tow" by mistake with the AI engaged then you will find that the crew reload the missiles and the TO will fire this will give your location away and alert all enemy craft in the region.

It will be impossible to use the cloak tow tactic.

This is a high risk tactic and all possible precautions should be taken.

Missiles in ATV's, Shuttles or transporter will not be reloaded

PTA if off for the same reason it will start to fire at any enemy within range

I turn all weapons off for safety incase I accidently press the trigger when manoeuvring

Once you have captured your target always switch the weapons back on line

Thanx a lot! I'm find Salamanda by using your advice B) you Right! I'm too rush before! Salamanda attacking me after a 15-20 second after my jumping in system! (but not each time it is present in this system! so good idea - to save before jumping in there)

Thanks again!

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: Aleksey Kichigin ]

Use the Flux Luke use the Flux

Anyone having time problems in this mission should try the Flux fields

If you don't know how it's in the Bc3Kman.pdf Intra-system course plotting (page 80/81)

Flux-06 (Sygan Majoris or Ramis) is totally safe but others aren't check out Navlink.pdf

My route is start mission in LV-130 jump to Marjoris, - Flux-06 to Sygan, - jump to Polaris 1

then back to Majoris via Flux-06 and jump to Ylisia, now Flux-12 to LV-104, jump LV-104 to LV-105.

To find the Salamanda I jump to Lv-103, Flux-11 to LV-115 and finally jump to Gamma-2 with over 1hr left to find the Salamanda.

I found that 30 minutes after arriving in Gamma 2 The Salamanda arrived by this time I had destroyed all craft in the region and the space station had no more assets to launch.

Once I had located the Salamanda I was able to cloak and with the target priority trick capture the Salamanda manually in the tractor without taking any damage. Towed it to a flux field supernova and collected all the cargo jumped in a fighter and destroyed the Salamanda for maximum points .

One the way back I stopped off at Xylan to pick up the Warmage.

Guest Shingen

hmmm... I go exploring through Gam space all the time in a shuttle and they never attack. Raiders don't attack my shuttle either, nor do insurgents. Only my BC and ICs get attacked.

Sometimes when I try to tractor an enemy craft they will open fire on my shuttle, or if I get too close to them.

Of course with the salamanda, if it's cloaked, it won't attack your shuttle so it's really hard to find!

The answers in your post its all about distance.

Flying through the vastness of space you may not come into weapons range of an enemy so it may seem they are not attacking you, they may also be engaged with a higher priority threat.

How many times have you seen a cargo pod and thought I'll have that it's got high value items in it only to suffer the destruction of your shuttle or heavy damage once the shuttle slows to collect it?

Shuttles are quite fast if your hyper jumping from one point to another the aggressor may not catch up with you.

Have you ever chased a NPC with your BC in AI only to find it hyper jumping short distances with your prey long gone by the time you get there?

Guest Shingen

Yeah, the AI is pretty dense that way. I don't use AI expect for general travel/patrol and halt commands.

I don't think that you get any points for targets when you're in AI mode, do you?

but as far as the shuttles, I don't know about distance or not. I've gotten pretty close to Gamma1 starstation in a shuttle and it never launched anything at me, but if I just JUMP into the region in an IC or BC, all hell breaks loose almost instantly!

The little buggers really hate when I shoot in a probe! That's sends them all scurrying around like mad!

quote:

Anyone having time problems in this mission should try the Flux fields

Appearantly my IQ is less than or equal to that of my Nav officer. I know AI can't or don't go through fluxfield, but I should have considered that myself.

Duhh!! Back to being a newby again.

I had to read the docs again myself

quote:

If you don't know how, it's in the Bc3Kman.pdf Intra-system course plotting (page 80/81)

In BCM it's much easier.

CYA

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Pugwash ]

• 4 months later...

Nope, the ENM enters the stage in mission 5 of the 2nd tour. (TOD2 M5/5) No need to worry about it yet. (It's of no use anyway until your RO learns how to put on her glasses. )

P.S. Oh, and I'll just be blunt and ask. Incase you are playing the freeware version, are you by any chance playing in debug mode? If so, you won't get the chance to nick those artifacts from the ships. Then search the forum for the cdrom check issue.

• 1 year later...
Guest jascatar

Sorry guys

One ask : Where it is the sos prob located ???

Yes because I have founded all what I wanted, but not this probe