My wishlist

Guest Snap

I hope this is the right area for it.. since it's v2.09 related I'll post it here:

My BC3K Wish-list:

I play in v2.09 in Free-flight mode mostly. These are things that I find annoying or wish was in the game.

Hopefully some will make it into BCM. Take it for what it’s worth…

Crew Rotations:

You should be able to have 3 8-hour watches for crew. Right now when you take your officers (or any crew) off-station to rest their station is vacant. You should have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Engineer for example. You should be able to assign officers and the rest of the crew to a watch rotation in the Roster. Then you can just select which watch is currently on duty.

Assignment selection:

Have a drop-down box or some way to assign many crewmembers at once. It’s tedious the way it is to assign each crewmember individually, having to click 7 times on each to get to the right selection.

Like changing marines from “searching” to “off-duty”.

Buying/Selling:

Ability to sell ALL of an item at once, or to hold Shift/Ctrl/Alt down while clicking to buy/sell 10, 100, or 1000 at a time.

Communications:

Just plain empty right now, the ability to talk to other ships, planets, stations, etc. would liven things up a lot.

Perspective/scale:

Capitol ships are too puny. I like the scale from Descent: Freespace, where your Interceptor has to use it’s afterburner for several seconds just to fly past a capitol ship. When flying up to a capitol ship or station in a shuttle or interceptor you should feel awe at the immense size of the ship.

Is that a Capitol ship or an interceptor?

A huge capitol ship should not be as maneuverable as an IC. When piloting my BC I feel like I’m flying an IC. I’ve even taken my BC down onto planets, and even landed. The only time you ever saw the Enterprise make planet-fall it crashed….

Well, other than these things I LOVE “The Game”! Keep up the good work!

P.S. A good quick reference screen for keyboard commands would be great!

mind if i pop in ?

>I hope this is the right area for it.. since it's v2.09 related I'll post it here:

i waited for someone to post a new thread and see if he gets deleted. you didn┬┤t, so i assume that it┬┤s ok to post here *grin*

>My BC3K Wish-list:

but wait, you don┬┤t really expect any of them coming to reality, do you ? if yes, take a deep breath and an aspirin or two: BC3K is no longer considered a legitimate product, so it will not be supported, and i doubt that the SC will provide any more patches. heck, that game is 3 years old.

you don┬┤t see any patches for civilization II any more either, right ?

>I play in v2.09 in Free-flight mode mostly.

same here :-)

>These are things that I find annoying or wish was in the game. Hopefully some will make it into BCM. Take it for what it’s worth…

Crew Rotations:

You should be able to have 3 8-hour watches for crew. Right now when you take your officers (or any crew) off-station to rest their station is vacant. You should have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Engineer for example. You should be able to assign officers and the rest of the crew to a watch rotation in the Roster. Then you can just select which watch is currently on duty.

i always keep some crewmen in the sickbay, so their officer won┬┤t assign them to posts. that way they are always fresh (no fatigue in sickbay) and can be assigned immediately when needed. that┬┤s especially helpful with marines, as you don┬┤t have to click much to get them on search-mode.

>Assignment selection:

Have a drop-down box or some way to assign many crewmembers at once. It’s tedious the way it is to assign each crewmember individually, having to click 7 times on each to get to the right selection.

Like changing marines from “searching” to “off-duty”.

great idea. true, the clicking on the arrows is tedious. there should be checkboxes instead. but alas...

>Buying/Selling:

Ability to sell ALL of an item at once, or to hold Shift/Ctrl/Alt down while clicking to buy/sell 10, 100, or 1000 at a time.

i don┬┤t even bother to sell minerals. i┬┤m too lazy to work for my money, hehe. so i go to the nearest debris field, launch all my shuttles and order them to sweep for cargo pods. once they sweep the place empty, i switch to some other screen and then back again, to get fresh pods spawning all over the place. when my shuttles can┬┤t take any more, i go and sell the expensive things (like numegas n┬┤ stuff ). you always find one of these things during a complete sweep.

but take care you jettison any illegal items before docking with the station.

if you want to keep them though for some reason, stuff them all into a shuttle and launch it before docking.

>Communications:

Just plain empty right now, the ability to talk to other ships, planets, stations, etc. would liven things up a lot.

i suppose that feature is of a certain importance in the campaign, as part of the plot. don┬┤t know yet.

>Perspective/scale:

Capitol ships are too puny. I like the scale from Descent: Freespace, where your Interceptor has to use it’s afterburner for several seconds just to fly past a capitol ship. When flying up to a capitol ship or station in a shuttle or interceptor you should feel awe at the immense size of the ship.

i disagree here. i think the proportions are just right. capital ships are already quite big compared to ICs. don┬┤t try to compare a battlecruiser, with its 118 crewmen, to a stardestroyer, with 37.000 men on board !

>Is that a Capitol ship or an interceptor?

A huge capitol ship should not be as maneuverable as an IC. When piloting my BC I feel like I’m flying an IC. I’ve even taken my BC down onto planets, and even landed. The only time you ever saw the Enterprise make planet-fall it crashed….

again, why not ? in space there is no atmosphere to hinder rapid movement, and inertial dampers are doing their part as well. while on planets you can see a significant difference in maneuvarebility between a BC and an IC.

and lets not forget that the enterprise is probably much larger than the battlecruiser, and of a far more inferior technology, being built some 700 years earlier

besides, the voyager does have the capability of landing on planets

>Well, other than these things I LOVE “The Game”! Keep up the good work!

couldn┬┤t agree more !

>P.S. A good quick reference screen for keyboard commands would be great!

got a printer ? use it

good thing to see us newbies populating this forum

maybe it┬┤s just my bad english, but isn┬┤t that what the SC considers it ? it┬┤s no longer a product, so you can┬┤t treat it like you would treat one. it┬┤s a gift now instead of a product, which means that no demands or reproachments are legitimate in any way.

at least that┬┤s what i understand.

Apollon, it just seemed to me that the use of the word 'legitimate' in the context that you described meant 'worthwhile'. It is something I strongly disagree with. Perhaps I just imposed a view that wasn't necessary.

I'll shut up now. I apologize if I jumped on you too harshly.

You guys should check out BC:M demo.

1.Drop down menus for easy and convinient personel assignment.

2.Capital ship does not behave like an interceptor. Slower turning rate.

3.Go ahead and try launching a shuttle and parking next to the space station and then zoom out. Always get a kick out of that one.

Guest jhnphm

No offense to anyone and sorry for writing long posts, but one more thing. Since plutonium is so easy to obtain, would'nt most missles have the power equal to or greater than OTS weapons, since the difficult thing in building a nuke is obtaining uranium or plutonium. Anyways, plutonium is an artificial product of uranium bombardment with neutrons, so would'nt plutonium be more expensive. Also, most artificial elements like fermium decay within, at most, a couple of months. Yet they are so cheap, and can be found naturally on mars. It would be better just to invent elements out of thin air, like what the star trek designers did when they

invented dilithium.

Another thing. Missles miss like 80% of the time, even when the target is sitting still with the EMD off. For example, missles crash into the ground in front of the target consistantly. They should have a proximity detector that self destructs the missle when there is a close miss, like the sidewinder missle. Am I supposed to believe that 31st century tech is inferior to 20th century technology. Also, chips in the missles would probably be optical, making the EMD totally useless. Would'nt it be easier just to fry the missle with a laser, more accurate but slightly less powerful than the PTA? Missles are'nt really too durable, since they're designed to get destroyed anyway. Or just get rid of the EMD all together, to make the game more realistic I hope this gets fixed in BCM, although I can't buy it because my hardware stinks.

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Borg12 ]

Guest jhnphm

How come there's no nuclear fallout when using OTS. And is'nt the blast area for the ots a little small for such a costly amount of plutonium?

Seems to me that Snap needs to download the BCM Demo Ep2. He'd reallllllly like it.

As to the comment about "fallout"...

Rumor is, that in BCM when you OTS something, it's a crater. Instead of like BC3K, where it was just merely destroyed. Correct me if I'm wrong...

What still gets me is, BC3K being a now 3 year old product, is getting the MOST downloads of anything on File Planet. Can't wait to see what happens 3 years after the release of BCM......

And before anyone gets too torched...

Borg - BCM is in Beta phase. Beta, as in, very minor changes which can be done easily, or correct a bug of some sort. This is not to be confused with Alpha stage, or any other stage, where bigger things can be added in.

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Gomez ]

Yup. Here's the basic scoop on the different phases of testing, though the actual definitions are lax (i.e. some people never even use a gamma).

Pre-alpha. Designers are coding the product's main code base. Buggier than crap, and if you test it you can fully expect it is less feature-filled than a can opener. Plus, unless they've got really good coders you're going to get lots of illegal operations. Especially in Windoze.

Alpha. Designers have now completed most of the gruntwork of creating the basic engine, and are now in progress of trying it out to see what additional features would be warranted. Lots of bugs, though, and it probably has less features than your microwave.

Beta. Now that most of the features are in, beta testing begins. This is where they poll average people, either from within the company or from outside the company, to see what they want, and in addition ask them to find as many bugs as possible, and stress-test that sucker more than the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Depending on when you arrive during a beta test, it will be anywhere from buggy to almost perfectly smooth. More features than a Ferrari with heated seats.

Gamma. This is the final phase of development, though most people just skip this part and switch it over to Release right away. Gamma testing is final playtesting where they try and see how well the game fits together, and they all enjoy themselves playing their masterpiece before they publish it. Naturally, most people don't have enough time for this, what with those publishers and all.

Release. The final product, with more features than a battleship. Whether that's a good thing is up to the player to decide.

Go figure...

I've been having this crash bug with BC3K. I just now caught why. Apparently Norton Image decided that 2:10pm every day was a good time to image my HDs. It begins to image D:, which is where BC3K is, and bam. I crash to desktop. Nothing wrong with BC3K AT ALL! In fact, it had sort of occured to me that it was only crashing in the afternoon. But I couldn't figure out why. Now I know. *kicks Norton* I love it when problems resolve themselves, especially when tech support is no longer available. Unfortunately, this means I have to re-run that ACM mission AGAIN for the third time....

LOL< those newbie wishlists and suggestions are SO funny. Where were they 3 years ago when the game came out? And DON'T tell me that only now did they hear about this wonderful game, with all the controversy surrounding the game you have to work overtime to not hear about it.

To be honest, I hadn't heard about it. Cause it's original release was 1996, back when I didn't have a PC at all (I had a Mac back then). And then in 98, I was busy playing on UO. Didn't notice anything much in the gaming world. Had to keep track of my UO life. Trust me when I say this, that you will be in exactly the same boat as I was, when GCO comes out....And so will I.

MMO(RP)Gs are rocks which you get stuck under, and lose track of everything (including whether you've eaten, slept, etc).

So in effect, I didn't know about BC3K till about March *points down at when he joined the forum*....

Guest jhnphm

I only found out about this game at "the underdogs" site a month ago. And forget the fallout. The important thing that I said was in the comment above the comment about the fallout. I'm just talking about possible improvements, not ]asking for features.

Here's more comments:

How can a spare shuttle fit inside a shuttle. Yet when I play, the spare fits with room left over. And don't tell me the shuttle is obtained as a build it yourself kit. As soon as I buy one and replace it, it is ready.

It's not possible to assemble a shuttle in 2 seconds. If it was, it would'nt last very long (No wonder my shuttles get destroyed, even when they don't hit anything). Better AI to keep your fleet from ramming itself to pieces would help. A way to order multiple ships at a time would help a lot. There are layers of menus you have to go through to get a ship somewhere. And thats A ship. You have to do that for each one. Thats annoying.

That's about it. I think BC3k is otherwise good the way it is