Need help starting..

Guest Tommy27

Guest Tommy27

Sorry bout this guys, but I wouldn't ask only I'm desperate. And don't flame me, because believe me, I have tried! Im having trouble with a few things.

1: Gathering cargo. At the beginning of freeflight, I go and have a look at the debris field near Earth. I send out a shuttle to gather the cargo pods, but when I bring it back (i have to do it manually, cos cargosweep doesnt seem to work for me) there is no extra cargo in the shuttle. Can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

2: Could someone tell me where the best place to buy things, what things, and the best place to sell them.

I know its a lot, but thanks in advance.

For number 2:

I *think* (I haven't done it for a long time so I'm not 100% sure) a good trade route is buying missiles at GALCOM and selling them at the station around Pluto. If I remember correctly, this has gotten me loads of money, enough for ship upgrades and Orbit to Surface Nukes!

Also for number 1: If there is no extra cargo in the shuttle after collecting cargo pods, perhaps the cargo pods are empty? You can see what items are in a cargo pod before collecting it by pushing the "L" key to cycle through the video window modes until you get to the "Cargo Manifest" mode.

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: LordDavid ]

Guest Tommy27

Thanks for helping me. I know a lot of people would of just said "READ THE MANUAL!" (which i did, in a round-a-bout sort of way. Its large!).

Thanks again !

quote:

Sorry bout this guys, but I wouldn't ask only I'm desperate. And don't flame me

There's no flaming on this board. So, don't worry about that. Just stick to the rules of posting, and you'll be fine. Thats just not tolerated on this board....unless of course I'm the one doing the flaming.

...and even then, the BC vets, won't let me get away with it, most times. B*astards!

You posted in the proper forum and thats the best thing you can do.

I learned how to use the shuttle in the debris fields tonight. Forgive me for not knowing the names of things or the correct terminology. I just started playing a few days ago. Anyway, fly the Battlecruiser to the debris field (you might not HAVE to do this but this is just what I do). Then, be on the bridge view (you can probably do this anywhere else, too) and click on the shuttle (it says SC1 or SC2 etc. on the far right) and send it out. Then click on it again and pick "orders" and click cargosweep. Then I go into the shuttle view by ALT F5 (for the first shuttle) and press 'A' for autopilot. The shuttle then goes around collecting cargo. You can speed the game up by pressing CTRL A and slow it down by CTRL SHIFT A. After the shuttle collects all the cargo, go back to your Battlecruiser bridge view (press ESC) then give "orders" to the shuttle to RTB (return to Battlecruiser). After it docks, go into either Logistic Computer or Tactical (I can't remember but it's one of those 2). You can get into them by clicking anywhere on the screen then click 'systems' then pick the computer. You wanna look for something that says "Loadout" then pick the shuttle then click where it says "Unload all cargo". This seems to work good for me. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If you want to get rich fast, read below the line. If you don't want to spoil the game, stop reading now.

---------------------------------------------

Buy Deflector Arrays at the Earth Spacestation then fly to the Pluto Spacestation and sell them there. Just keep doing this back and forth. I am now a billionaire WOOHOO!!! Took me a day to get this rich. Now to figure out how to upgrade everything on the ship...

Ronvatar: Buy things at GalCom and then sell them at Centron station in Polaris-1 (the wormhole to there is in Jupiter).

That's the even-more-mucho-cash method. You get way more payback.

Oh yes, the Galcom, Gazer run!! This is indeed what I do, after that, go into galcom, buy the upgrade that you want, and then all the deflector arrays you can handle, then head back to gazer, while enroute, start your engineers doing the upgrade, When you get to gazer, sell all the arrays, plus whatever the old component that you replaced with the upgrade, then go back to galcom, dock, and then tell galcom to finish the repair(upgrade), if you don't want to keep making money, (just want the upgrades) Buy all the upgrades you want at galcom, leave, tell your engineers to get started on the repairs(upgrades), and then dock with galcom again, and ask them to finish the repairs!! Voila, all the upgrades are finished, and you got a kickass battlecruiser, then load up with vagrants, LOAD UP THOSE SHUTTLES, top off your fuel and radine, and go kick some butt!!!

Thanks for the tips guys. But I have a major problem now. I know there isn't any support for this game but maybe someone might know how to alleviate this. My problem is the game keeps closing. It closes and goes to windows all by itself. I have it saved with most of my crew on off-duty because a lot were tired (after colliding with another ship while in route to a jump station) so I have my Battlecruiser set to defend the Galcom Spacestation so it just flies around. Well, after a few minutes, the game closes. I don't have a clue why. I have tried loading it back and it seems to close around the same time. I even reseted my pc thinking it was windows doing it. Here are my specs:

600 Celeron

128mb pc100 SDRAM

W98se

Voodoo 3 2000 PCI

no sound card (uses a Crystal Labs sound chip and midi is disabled)

Any help would be MOST appreciated.

I don't feel like searching for the thread, so I will tell you how to take out a station, all by your lonesome.

First fill up with all the vagrants you can carry, INCLUDING SHUTTLE, you want LOTS of the little buggers. Go into the system cloaked, and stay cloaked.

Go to the north pole of the station, 7 clicks or so away, yes, VERY close. Launch every vagrant in the magazines, STAY CLOAKED!! Then move to the south pole, reload and do it again, keep moving reloading and launching, until the station is real low, then put your PTA at 50% or lower and start blasting with your energy weapons, one shot at a time, and when she starts screaming, take her over!!

Or if you just want to blow her up, just keep launching vagrants 'til she blows. If you take her over, you will have every ship that she has onboard, because as long as your cloaked, she won't launch any of them against you!!

There, it is not as easy as it sounds, because you have to get in there and do it just perfect, or she blows!! So, good luck!!

For getting rich fast, I found that GalCom HQ is the worst place to start trading from, I reccomend Orion station in orbit around Europa(jupiter region). I basicly did the same thing, except I sold Medibays and Laser Arrays at Orion, then Deflector Arrays at pluto. It took a few hours, but EVENTUALY I got about 40 mil credits!

Only now I wish I could get the artifact upgrades, but I'm not sure how you get them in Free Flight mode.

I made over 1 billion credits in one day just trading between Earth and Pluto (deflector arrays). It was real easy. Only one jump. And you don't even have to fly to the station. Just get in the sector, target the station, press ALT D and you're in.

I tried taking on that enemy station again. This time my nuclear core bit the dust and I didn't have a housing core :- All my peeps got radiated LOL. They were tired as hell (100%) and wanted to evacuate BAD LOLOL! I thought it was the end of me but then my solar panels kicked in and gave me enough juice to get back to HQ. It was too much of a pain to have to wait for everyone to rest so I just restored my last saved game before I took the station on. I lost all those experience points, though. It sure is fun trying. I'll get that sucka. If I remember correctly, all I have to do is board the station to take over it right? One more question, what is the diffence between AI and Direct for autopilot? They seem to do the exact same thing.

I took over that spacestation. It took me 3 tries. On the 2nd try, I fired a bunch of vagrants at it thinking it wouldn't be destroyed and then I saw an SOS so I docked in it. Well, as soon as I left it, it went BOOM! lol. I guess those missles have some sort of AI in them and they waited till I left hehe. Anyway, the 3rd try was easy. Thanks for the tips

There is one thing I am wondering. On the left side of the screen, there is something that says HPD (I think that's what it says, I have a small monitor) and when I click it, I can go directly to any system anywhere without actually flying there. I thought this was kinda odd. Did I find some kind of special hyperdrive that can zip me anywhere in the universe? It's almost too easy and takes the fun out of having to fly to places.

"I must've found it then. I've been doing a lot of cargo sweeps in debri fields. Kewl I don't even know how to go into debug mode. No need to tell me. Thanks."

If you are running the free bc3k v2.09 then chances is that you already run in debug mode. Examine your bc3k.bat file, if it got the /d1 on the last line then you're in debug mode. (or just press F8 while ingame, and if there is a lot of text printouts then you're probably running in debug mode.)

No. To my knowledge in the Free BC3K 2.09 the game starts in debug mode to disable the CD check. This is in the bat file and has nothing to do with you pressing keys.