Need help starting..

Guest Tommy27

"No. To my knowledge in the Free BC3K 2.09 the game starts in debug mode to disable the CD check. This is in the bat file and has nothing to do with you pressing keys."

You're right. I took out that /d1 in the BAT file and it asked for the CD. I guess there is no way around this? If the work around has already been posted, please forgive me for asking again.

You could try editing the BC3K.ini file so that the CD path is the path where you installed the game. I know this works with the CD version, but I don't know about the free.

Yes, changing the .ini files to point the CD to the same directory as the free game works, IF you apply the patch that was made due to a corrupted introfile. (if I remember correctly.) After you installed that patch and set the CDrom dir correctly you can delete the /d1 option and it will run in normal mode.

hmm...this is what was in the ini file when I first opened it:

[bC3000AD]

;cdrom drive letter. Set by INSTALL or if user relocates game after install

cdrom=c:BC3000AD

;Home directory. Set by INSTALL or if user relocates game after install

home=c:BC3000AD

;current game version. Usually updated by install and patch updates

version=2.09 + map pak

;installation type. Full, Medium, or Small

install=Full

;location of PTE config & texture files. If blank, Home directory is searched

ptefiles=bc3lib3.res

;Installed language

language=english

It seems to be already pointing to the right drive. Yet, when I take out the /d1 in the bat file, it asks me to place the cdrom into the c drive. Does anyone know of a "crack" I can download and place in the BC3k folder?

If you paid attention you would have seen I said that you had to apply a patch and THEN it will work.

You can download it from here http://www.theunderdogs.org/game.php?id=2754

now, download the patch/fix from there, move it into your BC3K folder, and run it. Then set your .bat file so it doesn't include the /d1 option, then run bc3k. This time it shouldn't complain about the CD.

Guest Tommy27

Why are u going to all this trouble. It occurs to me that you could just not use it. Wouldnt that be better than fiddling. I understand you not wanting to use it. I have it, but i just dont use it!

Originally posted by R_wilco:

quote:

For getting rich fast, I found that GalCom HQ is the worst place to start trading from, ...

To each his own I suppose. But GalcomHQ and one Gammulan station somewhere (and their accompanying starbases ofcourse) have the lowest prices for AD items compared to anywhere in the entire galaxy (in a fresh game anyway). And other type items are only 22% more expensive. I couldn't consider Galcom the worst place to start from. Admitted, some nearby stations sell the other types of items somewhere in between that. You just have to know what to get where and where to drop what off.

Check my old treasure for a clarification on BC3k's trading principle. (but forget the last part of that topic)

quote:

Only now I wish I could get the artifact upgrades, but I'm not sure how you get them in Free Flight mode.

Artifacts are not available in free-flight. Except for the HSD that you get if you run in debug-mode. Also, you can introduce them into the game by using the playmod cheats. BUT, that may lead to corrupt games eventually. Use at your own risk. Not to mention it is considered 'faul play' by many.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

You guys / girls who really want the Alien Artifacts in Free Flight mode have look at the GBS that's included with the free version and can be downloaded from the download files section.

You will then be able to modify the Free Flight Script and give yourself the Artifacts.

Any questions or problems concerning GBS should be posted in the GBS section of this forum

If your really lucky I might even modify the script and post a link but I think I'll let you have ago first.

What is it with people that doesn't read the included text files really? I understand that some don't read the manuals or extra file documentation before trying out the game, but seriously if they read them it would save a lot of time and effort.. (atleast after trying the game for a few hours..)

Who are you guys talking about? Noone in this thread wants the Artifacts (by cheating). If anything, I asked about how I can get out of debug mode so that I can play the game in an "honest" way...

By the way, I'm trying to download the patch from Fileplanet.com now.

There isn't a patch to get out of debug mode. You just have to edit the .bat file, and remove the /d1 command from the file.

If you have the problem where it searches for the CD (after you take it out of debug mode), then you do need a patch.

I'll post the link here:

File Planet: BC3K 2.09 Freeware intro anim fix.

I suggest everyone download this, because it fixes a small error in the Opening Video, which makes the video say an error, in the middle of the Interceptor run in the asteroids.

If you combine this with removing the /d1 tag in the .bat file, you will successfully remove debug mode, and it should increase some FPS on systems.

---

Also, the GBS and Playmod programs are in the GBS and GBSCheats folders, respectively. Note that you have to copy the playmod.exe file, and the bat, and cmd files to the main BC3K folder, to get it to work. See the documentation for info.

But, warning! There is a glitch, if you activate the flag, "set cheat 1", on the Playmod program, that makes all units get stuck in the SDeck Aft Corridor. You've been warned. Playmod 1 uses that cheat, so I wouldn't use it if I were you, unless you edit the .bat file yourself. You'll have to resort to raising the AI of your troops individually with their own "set [officer/marine/pilot/.......] [(unit #; as in officer 1-8, marine 1-20, pilot 1-8)]intelligence 100" flags. I only did the officers, just because I didn't feel like using the time.

I also love using the "create guest "(name)" [1-58]" flag. I put myself in my own characters ship!

For those who don't advocate cheating, try this: Set the "create intruder [1-58]" flag, where 1-58 is a location on the ship, numbered 1-58. See the playmod.txt if you want. Adds some early suspense to the game. Add multiple copies of the same flag for more intruders (up to 40)! Got myself killed by making 8 intruders in the bridge!

Damnit, I spent half of this post talking about the playmod program.... Hey, I just learned about it today! You should too!

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

[ 08-11-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Originally posted by R_wilco :

quote:

Only now I wish I could get the artifact upgrades, but I'm not sure how you get them in Free Flight mode.

Originally posted by Ronvatar:

quote:

Who are you guys talking about? Noone in this thread wants the Artifacts (by cheating). If anything, I asked about how I can get out of debug mode so that I can play the game in an "honest" way...

R_Wilco might. We/I just didn't know how desperate he was about them. Anyway, issue solved I guess. You can't have them unless you put them in manually.

All this time I wanted to play the game out of debug mode just to find out that I can no longer change the speed of the game. I don't mean to sound picky but X1 is just way too fast and doesn't seem realistic to me. I like playing at around /2 or /4. Guess I'll just have to keep it in debug and not use the HSD. :- Thanks to everyone for their help.

quote:

I don't mean to sound picky but X1 is just way too fast...

You're kidding, right? You are allready waiting a complete day before a game-day passes. A prerequisite for this game is to have patience. And you're saying it's too fast?

Oh well, nobody runs as fast as the other, I guess. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in time. What exectly is running you over?

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

I meant to say when going through space battles. I just can't imagine a BC spinning around as fast as it does in X1. And then, when I go cargosweeping with the shuttles, I like to speed it up to X8 to get it over with. Or when I travel far places and use the AI. I slow it back down when it's time to fight. I just like that convenience.