Help: Locating BC3000AD v1.0x

I've scoured the 'Net looking for a download of BC3000AD v1.01D without success. I've tried Google, Usenet (through Google), even the Internet Archives.

Apparently all the sites that used to have it no longer exist, or no longer carry it.

Am I wasting my time looking for it? Is it different enough from v2.09 to be worth acquiring, or is everything in v1.01D in v2.09?

I think one of my friends has one of the really really old demo CD's from some computer magazine I think that had the original demo... I can try and find it and if SC has no objections (I don't think he should since the game is freeware now) I can upload it if it's the correct demo.

My friend is cross country right now, so I'd have to get in touch with him to see if he still has the old cd...

Technically though you can download the patched version from Underdogs...

quote:

Originally posted by dbhankins:

Am I wasting my time looking for it? Is it different enough from v2.09 to be worth acquiring, or is everything in v1.01D in v2.09?

BC3K 1.0 has very little in common with v2.x. You can find the freeware v2.0x all over the net.

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Technically though you can download the patched version from Underdogs...

Actually, technically you can't. Underdogs doesn't host the file, and their download link points to electricgames.com. Electricgames.com no longer exists (redirects to cd-hut.com)

My attempts to use the Internet Archive to retrieve the files failed; I think the Archive has a size limit on files it saves.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

BC3K 1.0 has very little in common with v2.x. You can find the freeware v2.0x all over the net.

Thank you. I am in the process of downloading v2.09 now, to see what the game is all about. Actually, most of the places that used to host v2.09 don't any more. FilePlanet was the only place I could find that officially still has it, and Tucows still has it on their site but has no path from their games page to reach it.

Since v1.0 has little in common with v2.x, does that mean it's worth my while to continue to try to find v1.0? Is it possible that if I visit one of the fleet sites, I might find someone willing to (say) seed a BitTorrent of it? Or do you no longer wish to make it available as freeware? In which case I'll stop looking.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Aside: Were you influenced at all by Elite or Frontier in making BC3000AD? If your game meets or exceeds the playability of Frontier, I'll definitely buy the latest version; I've been looking for a good space sim ever since my Amiga died and my copy of Frontier joined it on the dumpheap.

Pardon me for jumping in here, but you might want to try the demo of BCM, as it's massively updated from BC3K and is definitely big enough to show you everything the game can do.

Also, don't give up hope on Frontier, I'm pretty sure it's widely available for free on the PC. Just have a quick look on the Net.

Well guess what I found? My BC3K version 1.08a on a sony cd recordable that I bought directly from Derek back in the day. Got his hand writing on it and everything.

I'd have to install the copying software that came with the cd burner I have and bum a cd-r from a friend but maybe I could burn a copy and send it to you.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Well guess what I found? My BC3K version 1.08a on a sony cd recordable that I bought directly from Derek back in the day. Got his hand writing on it and everything.

I'd have to install the copying software that came with the cd burner I have and bum a cd-r from a friend but maybe I could burn a copy and send it to you.

wow! That has got to be a collectors item!!!

• 4 months later...