Clueless Newbie Questions

quote:

Originally posted by JJ:

how do you know when the station releases an sos, does yuor comm officer tell you, do you get on the target sceen?, cause i tried capturing new america but i accidentally blew it up

You will see the Blue SOS emitter in Tacops. You can't miss it.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, heres my story...

I decided (since I was waiting for my drones to fill up) to blow up a naval fleet (they come back later on after you blow em all up right?)

.. Now I was going to do it alone since I figured my pilots were too stupid to do the job. So I loaded up my ATS msl's and went on my merry way ..(BTW: to all you other people.. Dont buy cheap msl's.. they suck..) But anyway when I finally finished off the carrier and was attacking the cruisers... I had a little problem.. You see.. Your alt thingamawatcha tells you your alt from the bottom of the seafloor 'i think and you cant really tell sometimes when your about to hit the water ..(the only thing that tells me im about to hit the water is those two things on your hud that get closer and turn into an X when youz about to hit terrain' So I slammed into the water... Lucky me I wasnt going fast enough to kill myself ..(though I did mess up my S24-Raven pretty bad but not bad enough to keep me from going back to my ship) Anyway is there a way to turn your craft back on? I can understand if I cant for reasons but what about exiting the craft? I couldnt exit the craft and ejecting just blows you up..

Ok, 2 clueless newbie questions:

1) Can you deploy Spcae Marines in Space?

2) I have a science vessle, the Star Gazer and I noticed that there was no Research officer on board. SC, can you make it possible to have a RO onboard? Wouldn't they be right at home on a science vessle?

Thanks!

Can't seem to find this in the manual. What are the advantages of the upgraded systems? Armor and Shields are pretty obvious (more HP), but engines and reactors aren't. Could someone enlighten me a little on this?

Why I ask is because I have installed a much fancier engine (2nd best) on my ship. Yet I don't seem to have -significantly- more acceleration or top speed...

quote:

Originally posted by schoch1:

Ok, 2 clueless newbie questions:

1) Can you deploy Spcae Marines in Space?

2) I have a science vessle, the Star Gazer and I noticed that there was no Research officer on board. SC, can you make it possible to have a RO onboard? Wouldn't they be right at home on a science vessle?

Thanks!

1. No

2. No

Next!

Guest dnoyeB!

How do I know what minerals, etc. a planet is likely to have before I deploy my mining drone there? I checked the appendix and didnt see any information and couldnt find any in tacops. I must be overlooking something, but what?

2 clueless newbie questions:

[*]1) How do you read messages that you recieve.

[*]2) What is the usefulness of things like Cigarettes in the misc. items of Tradcom.

[*]1) Refer to page 44 of the manual; COMMLINK.

[*]2) Refer to page 63 of the manual; Trading

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Okay thanks. I got 2 more questions now.

[*]How do you orbit?

[*]Can you exit without saving, and if so, how?

1. You can't Orbit.

2. Read page 20 of the manual; Craft Status Control > Systems or press ALT+Q then Y

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Sell what you cannot use on your CC - no brainer

Well, see that's my point. If there's absolutely no use for Cigarettes and whatnot then why did Mr. Smart even put em in the game?

Show some respect when referring to the SC.

TTFN

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Sadistic ]

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Reread page 44, pay attention to the
UP
and
DOWN
Entries.

Well, after playing a little I noticed that after 'Urgent message recieved' it usually has things following after. Is that the urgent message? But see, sometimes there aren't things after it, that's why I'm confused.

quote:

Originally posted by Sadistic:

Well, see that's my point. If there's absolutely no use for Cigarettes and whatnot then why did Smart even put em in the game?

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Sadistic ]

He put them there so that traders can buy them at one station and sell them at another for profit. It adds variety to the ammount of items you can trade. How would you like to trade an item named "ITEM 1" and "ITEM 2" and so forth.

I was thinking of posting this as a new topic, but I suppose questions (and yes, mild gripes) about certain conventions of gameplay would be safer to post here. Having played the demos and the new game for a moderate amount of time. I overall do like what I see, but there are a few things I would wonder might be altered in the future? Also, I would like to note that I have checked this board in the past year for other discussions of this nature.

1. Survivablity- I was in a Battlecruiser Mk III and made an attack on the Tulon station in Tau Ceti. My first attempt I didn't even bother to cloak, and got wasted as I jumped out of hyperspace. But my second attempt I cloaked after I jumped in, hypered over to Tulon, and uncloaked when I was only 30 km away from it, Tulon was destroyed quite quickly. Granted, I suppose some luck was applied because I didn't come off unharmed, I had significant damage in fact, but I did leave under my own power. In BC3K, tackling a station by oneself with IOD and PTA was a very daunting task and took at least 10 minutes. In BCM it could be accomplished much much easier. I think this is mostly due to the fact that the rate of fire was increased substantaily for a fully charged bolt. (I guess 100 IOD in BCM fires at the rate of 10-30% I0D in BC3K). I suppose that this isn't the only balancing issue involved regarded to survivablity (a consequence of this that fighters are more potent weapons now, perhaps they could retain their potency if an alternative was avialable?). But would it be rude to ask that there could be an option open to people who wish to make ships and stations more resilient, or reduce the rate of fire for the main guns of ships?

2. I must insist, we need time acceleration. I apologize, but I can be an impatient man and wish to get to the action in all haste.

3. I mentioned this in more detail in my post regarding planetside tacops in the general issues in the tech support forum, regarding the inability to create waypoints on the planetsurface for craft currently in space.

I believe that is all the major points I wish to comment about gameplay. I would greatly appreciate a response by anyone in the BC3000AD company on these points. And I imagine I will enjoy BCM for some time.

God Bless!

PegasusJF

quote:

Originally posted by PegasusJF:

2. I must insist, we need time acceleration. I apologize, but I can be an impatient man and wish to get to the action in all haste.

No way. On this I completly dissagree. Not only does the game take enormous ammount of resources to play as it is, can you imagine what would happen with time acceleration. Not only that but I really like the feel of the game when you actually have to PAY for the mistakes you do instead of messing around and if something doesn't work out you can start a new game, deploy mining drones, sit in some safe sector and acumulate tons of money for upgrades. This game is not aiming for some arcade wanabe or some brainless attempts at space simulation that are out on the market right now. It's a SIMULATION, and a DEREK SMART SIMULATION at that.

quote:

Originally posted by PegasusJF:

Thats not going to happen. Ever. I will let the other vets explain why, because after explaining it for almost six years, I'm kinda worn out.

Ok here is a clueless question, Can you use the planetary defence systems that you buy from the stations? or are they just trade items? I have tried to set these things up and have had no luck at all, please let me know, thanks

NO, these can only be used as trade items.

TTFN

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Pegasus->Question 2.

In multiplayer, time acceleration wouldn't be possible. The multiplayer patch more or less won't completely change any other game systems. (It'll just add one.) So if he enabled time accel, then there would be a conflict in it when multiplayer came out. No time acceleration. It works as designed. Live with it.

And what are you gonna do with it? Mine faster? That'd be cheating, IMO.

when i just hit p , to activate my pta turrets, will all eenmey ships in range be automaticaly targeted, and fired upon, is that all i gotta do>, cause when i hit f9 and switch to the outside view it doesen't look as if ne of my turrets are firing, yes my weapons are charged