Clueless Newbie Questions

quote:

Originally posted by PegasusJF:

Ok, I understand (I'm afriad I didn't consider the impact of time acceleration on multiplayer), thank you for replying.

God Bless!

PegasusJF

And thats no all. The game's NN AI kernel is designd to and runs in real-time.

Any form of time acceleration will create a space-time contiuum* shift with disastrous results.

*Thats the more colorful explanation

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, all my questions but one were answered, thank you.

The one that was answered is about orbitting. On pg 52 of the manual, second and third paragraphs (not including the cut-off sentence at the very top) it tells you how to orbit. But if you follow those instructions exactly you will planetfall at 150km, not 100km like it says there. (well, more like 149.3km, but whatever) And if you hyperspace to a planet you cannot stop yourself from planetfalling. I actually haven't tried this, but maybe you could then go straight up and out of the planet again and THEN do the things it says (shut off engines etc.) I'll try that, but I need some clarification, can you orbit or not.

quote:

Originally posted by Sadistic:

Alright, all my questions but one were answered, thank you.

The one that was answered is about orbitting. On pg 52 of the manual, second and third paragraphs (not including the cut-off sentence at the very top) it tells you how to orbit. But if you follow those instructions exactly you will planetfall at 150km, not 100km like it says there. (well, more like 149.3km, but whatever) And if you hyperspace to a planet you cannot stop yourself from planetfalling. I actually haven't tried this, but maybe you could then go straight up and out of the planet again and THEN do the things it says (shut off engines etc.) I'll try that, but I need some clarification, can you orbit or not.

1. The manual is correct

2. If you hyperjump to a planet (as NID target), you will be prompted if you want to make planetfall. Guess what happens if you enter N when prompted.

quote:

Originally posted by Sadistic:

When I press N for the prompt, nothing happens, at least the 1 time I tried it. I'll try it again when I go play in just a minute to make sure. Thanks.

LOL, yeah, that's the point. If you choose N then you are not going to planetfall. If you want to hyperjump to the planet just choose, "FLY TO" and choose the planet you want to fly to instead of targeting a planet and pressing "SHIFT-9" yourself.

Ahh Man!! I hope not. Look on the back of the box at the bottom 2 pictures (eeuugh..sounding geeky there. ) Looks like the Commander Portrait and he is equipped with a JetPack.

Oh well Lots of other stuff to do. Just wanted to put on some red underwear over my Enviro Suit and Fly around like Superman!! Think of how Inspiring I will be to those Marines....

*Private Jeff - Ughhh I'm hit..Think I'm not gonna make it man.

*Corporal Joe - Hey..Its just a flesh wound. You are gon...LOOK UP IN THE SKY!!!

By the Way SOBACK, Love your sig.

quote:

Originally posted by Skeletun:

Ahh Man!! I hope not. Look on the back of the box at the bottom 2 pictures (eeuugh..sounding geeky there. ) Looks like the Commander Portrait and he is equipped with a JetPack.

Oh well Lots of other stuff to do. Just wanted to put on some red underwear over my Enviro Suit and Fly around like Superman!! Think of how Inspiring I will be to those Marines....

*Private Jeff - Ughhh I'm hit..Think I'm not gonna make it man.

*Corporal Joe - Hey..Its just a flesh wound. You are gon...LOOK UP IN THE SKY!!!

By the Way SOBACK, Love your sig.

He has a jetpack because I took those shots in debug mode.

quote:

Originally posted by JelloKing:

where can i buy new fighters to replace the ones destroyed in combat? if its at any station, like imagine it would be, which trade items are the fighters?

any help for this newbie is apprieciated

From one n00b to another ...

you buy them from stations, like you imagined... they are called "fighter assets" in the spare parts category.

Hey all,

Another newbie here.... although I'm learning quickly.... but one problem.... Just like previous posts, I cannot get a shuttle to land and deploy an OC. I have followed the manual letter for letter. I can do it if I'm in control, but I'd rather not be I've even taken great pains to ensure the land is FLAT. When I set a single waypoint for my shuttle, one of 2 things happen:

1: The shuttle enters the stmosphere and then for no reason at all, hightails it back to the CC. So I try to tell it to 'flyto' an object nearby (to get it near the planet surface) and then reengage the waypoint. The shuttle then shuts down and gently floats back to earth where it'll sit there until I give it an order other than a waypoint.

2: OR I get this, the more "successful" behaviour.

The shuttle will enter the planet and head to the waypoint. But instead of landing it will just circle (ITS DEFINITELY FLAT LAND!).

Anyone got any ideas? I really hate having to fly the shuttle myself... as the SC says:

quote:

!!! Like the manual says, NEVER let your AE get in harm's way. He's not James T. Kirk you know

Nope.... Thanks for the suggestion Gomez.... My shuttle will fly to the first waypoint but will immediately RTB upon completing the first waypoint. It is definitely FLAT land I am setting the deploy waypoint on.... Anyone got any other ideas?

Two other things...

1: How come I can't set waypoints when my AE is down on the planet? If I beam down, (I want to see the shuttle land.. I just think that would be cool), I need to set the shuttle waypoints BEFORE I leave as the button is disabled (turns red) as soon as I transport off the CC... Should this be the case? I would assume I should still have full control over plotting waypoints irrespective of whether or not I am on the CC.

2: Collision detection on buildings only seems to work when I walk.... not run... I can run right through them...

I havent checked the known issues section yet so please don't shoot me if both of these are already mentioned!

But seriously folks, the shuttle deploy thing is my main concern right now... before I depart earth for a more hostile planet!