Clueless Newbie Questions

quote:

Just 1 question (although I think I know the answer): the Earth and Moon are so far away from each other. Is this because it would be too much work for the cpu if they were together? It would be awesome to see the Earth from the surface of the Moon (or vice versa)

The moon is actually really far from Earth Can't remember the exact figure, but it's something like 300,000km from earth. Now, compare that to say the circumference of the earth (at the equator), 41,600km, and your standard carrier size, less than 1km . If I'm not mistaken, the moon in the game is actually at it's appropriate distance.

EDIT: WOOHOO! Just noticed I just made post 102!

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Gomez ]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by powercrazy:

Nope.... Thanks for the suggestion Gomez.... My shuttle will fly to the first waypoint but will immediately RTB upon completing the first waypoint.

1. Read what he wrote again.

2. Read the manual and the tutorial.

Once you've done the above, you will see that the craft will ALWAYS do an RTB after performing the order at the first waypoint.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

SC, I understand that you have a wish list. Is this for future Expansion packs (which you buy, like XP1, ext) or for a downloadable patch? Thanks.

Read the Products and Dev Pages. BCM XP requires purchase.

TTFN

EDIT: Wohoo, my 50th post! LOL

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: rhett ]

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Greetings, here is my Clueless Newbie question:

As a Terran/Scientist I am in command of a Transport class vessel. How do I recharge my support crafts? Or is this even something I need to worry about?

The reason I am asking is because I make extensive use of my shuttlecrafts and they all seem to be running low on "juice".

Do they eventually get automatically recharged, or is there something I have missed in the manual?

When I tried to play a Terran/Military/Commander career and used my fighter crafts, they appeared to be recharged automatically as per the manual. The shuttles and OCs, however, were not.

I suppose it is possible I have not been playing long enough if time is a factor but I figured I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any answers,

Gamaliel out.

quote:

Originally posted by Gomez:

The moon is actually really far from Earth Can't remember the exact figure, but it's something like 300,000km from earth. Now, compare that to say the circumference of the earth (at the equator), 41,600km, and your standard carrier size, less than 1km . If I'm not mistaken, the moon in the game is actually at it's appropriate distance.

Then how come I can't see the Earth from the Moon?

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbringin Mofo:

Then how come I can't see the Earth from the Moon?

Because it is culled* out by the rendering engine because it is BVR**.

Go to Jupiter or Saturn and there are more moons within close proximity of each other. Some are with the BVR limits. for e.g

* excluded from rendering pass

** Beyond Visual Range

In a high pitched, plainitive, small child voice:Could I please get my questions answered too..Pretty please?

Gamaliel proceeds to imitate a small dog panting and begging in the heat of a Southern Arizona summer day (hey it gets to 115 degrees plus here ).

Gamaliel out.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Gamaliel ]

quote:

Originally posted by rhett:

Read the Products and Dev Pages. BCM XP requires purchase.

TTFN

What I meant was will there be any downloadable updates (not patches). I understand about the XP purchase thing. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Uhm..here is another CNG (Clueless Newbie Question ).

How accurate are the weather forecasts in the NID's NIR mode. Just curious - I love landing on planets just to see the weather effects.

Gamaliel out.

As accurate as what is displayed in the forecast

quote:

Originally posted by Gamaliel:

As a Terran/Scientist I am in command of a Transport class vessel. How do I recharge my support crafts? Or is this even something I need to worry about?

Unless they dock at a station, they won't be recharged since transports and cruisers don't have FEs.

However, now that I think about it, I will just add some FEs to transports and cruisers.

You can add so many things to the CC craft oh mighty one, but yet my CC can't install the artifact shield upgrade. I want to be the baddest bad @ss in the galaxy, do you think it can be possible to make a kind of unofficial/undupported "patch" so that all ships can use all artifacts and upgrades?

The SC wrote:

quote:

However, now that I think about it, I will just add some FEs to transports and cruisers.

WTG, SC! I was just about to ask whether Sys Engrs could be ordered to prep the shuttles the same way Flight Engrs can for FCs in Carriers. Adding a few Flight Engrs definitely would be best, tho, IMHO.

BTW, can Flight Engineers be ordered to prep/recharge SCs in Carriers, too? I thought I could only do that for FCs, and then I only needed to if the FO was off station or failed to give the order... Guess it's time for a few more experiments

Man, I love this game

quote:

You can add so many things to the CC craft oh mighty one, but yet my CC can't install the artifact shield upgrade. I want to be the baddest bad @ss in the galaxy, do you think it can be possible to make a kind of unofficial/undupported "patch" so that all ships can use all artifacts and upgrades?

My guess right off hand is, he will say no. However, I would also wager a guess that a modder might be able to do the requested modification...Check the GBS Discussion part of the forum....

Just a question post about design (newbie question in a way). Okay as a Military Commander docked with an exact match Race / Caste starbase, why do you have to pay for everything out of your pocket? (Is it for gameplay related reasons?) Traditionally (in the sense of Military), certain things will be provided to you, loadouts, crew, provisions, and the etc. I know you get initial assests issued to you, even a pay check, but it struck me as odd that the commander has to pocket for missiles and other basic goods that you would think a military commander would have instant access to.

Basically a stupid newbie question where wraith get's incurred.

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Conscript ]

quote:

My fighters never seem to use more than 5 missiles. I can't recall ever seeing the number of remaining weapons on them below 5. Is this normal?

Early game = Low AI = Pilots do stupid things

"OMG! It's a SF Marine who can barely scratch my shields! I better launch a multi-million credit missile at it before it shoots me!"

"Pah! It's just a tiny STORMCARRIER...I don't need to shoot at it."

"Hmm...that fighter I'm chasing just flew towards that Starstation that is hostile to me. I think I'll chase him down. After all, Starstations don't shoot at fighters...right?"

In other words...expect your pilots to die a lot early on. It's probably better to train them up in a safe place (leave the game running all night, but remember to shutdown the reactor and use solar)....

quote:

Originally posted by Mitchell:

The SC wrote:

WTG, SC! I was just about to ask whether Sys Engrs could be ordered to prep the shuttles the same way Flight Engrs can for FCs in Carriers. Adding a few Flight Engrs definitely would be best, tho, IMHO.

BTW, can Flight Engineers be ordered to prep/recharge SCs in Carriers, too? I thought I could only do that for FCs, and then I only needed to if the FO was off station or failed to give the order... Guess it's time for a few more experiments

Man, I love this game

Check today's VCF update

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

No. Not ever.

quote:

Originally posted by Gomez:

My guess right off hand is, he will say no. However, I would also wager a guess that a modder might be able to do the requested modification...Check the GBS Discussion part of the forum....

No. They can't.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

It is rubbish. Just as I said. If you don't know that their use of weapons relies on their AI and skills, then you need to play the game some more before cluttering my board with USELESS posts.

I'm aware that their use of weapons is dependant upon their AI. Are there some types of missile guidance systems which my pilots are just too dumb to use effectively yet?

Gents,

A quick, newbie kind of question. I'm not sure it's a bug - but I don't think so. My game is completely bugfree. Brillant.

Here it is: I deployed 9 marines on the surface After some shooting around, there was only 4 left. I promptly Evac'ed them to the BC. On the BC I looked at Perscan, and there it said that my 4 remaining marines were now on the ship, and that I had an additional 4 left behind on the planet who were radiated, injured and poisened with an alien disease. When I checked, and then rechecked, the planet mission area, there was no sign of them anywhere. I sent a shuttle on a extract team mission, but it returned empty.

Is this a feature or something else?