Clueless Newbie Questions

OK, I'm not a newbie, but these questions seem to fit here:

1. I remember reading that leaving your CC for long periods of time can and is harmfull for the CC. (It's true, I've tried it) Would you be willing to share exactly under what circumstances your CC will start taking damage when no other ships or intruders are a factor?

2. I was able to deploy Space marines using a shuttle, (I read above you're not supposed to) in space, Is there any way to retrive them? I could not for the life of me do it. Maybe the SC could make a way? Perhaps the transporter could be altered to retrieve space-borne objects? Could you imagine the look on an enemy marines' face when he just materializes in your transporter room facing about 8-9 guys with guns? Also I would like to be able to target a ship and give them a few intruders to deal with.

3. I've had some cargo pods sitting on Moon2 in Lyrius for about 2 hours now, will they remain there indefinatly?

and finally ...

4. Is there any way to hide your craft in space so that it doesn't get intruders when a big ship pops in? I've tried sitting in out of the way places well out of radar range, with my radar turned off. The reason I ask, is with all the searching my marines have to do, they don't get a lot of time to sleep, and they get cranky, and one even took a potshot at me the other day...

Thanks,

WetWare

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Schmendrick:

I'm aware that their use of weapons is dependant upon their AI. Are there some types of missile guidance systems which my pilots are just too dumb to use effectively yet?

Their use of missiles has nothing to do with the missile's guidance system.

quote:

Originally posted by Count_Sessine:

Gents,

A quick, newbie kind of question. I'm not sure it's a bug - but I don't think so. My game is
completely
bugfree. Brillant.

Here it is: I deployed 9 marines on the surface After some shooting around, there was only 4 left. I promptly Evac'ed them to the BC. On the BC I looked at Perscan, and there it said that my 4 remaining marines were now on the ship, and that I had an additional 4 left behind on the planet who were radiated, injured and poisened with an alien disease. When I checked, and then rechecked, the planet mission area, there was no sign of them anywhere. I sent a shuttle on a extract team mission, but it returned empty.

Is this a feature or something else?

Can you see their TTD on the map? If not, did you try to zoom to one of them using the Tacops/Zoom To option?

Do you even remember where you left them?

quote:

Originally posted by WetWare:

OK, I'm not a newbie, but these questions seem to fit here:

1. I remember reading that leaving your CC for long periods of time can and is harmfull for the CC. (It's true, I've tried it) Would you be willing to share exactly under what circumstances your CC will start taking damage when no other ships or intruders are a factor?

2. I was able to deploy Space marines using a shuttle, (I read above you're not supposed to) in space, Is there any way to retrive them? I could not for the life of me do it. Maybe the SC could make a way? Perhaps the transporter could be altered to retrieve space-borne objects? Could you imagine the look on an enemy marines' face when he just materializes in your transporter room facing about 8-9 guys with guns? Also I would like to be able to target a ship and give them a few intruders to deal with.

3. I've had some cargo pods sitting on Moon2 in Lyrius for about 2 hours now, will they remain there indefinatly?

and finally ...

4. Is there any way to hide your craft in space so that it doesn't get intruders when a big ship pops in? I've tried sitting in out of the way places well out of radar range, with my radar turned off. The reason I ask, is with all the searching my marines have to do, they don't get a lot of time to sleep, and they get cranky, and one even took a potshot at me the other day...

Thanks,

WetWare

1. A cloaked ship for one

2. Not sure how you did it (you must have used the shuttle cockpit menu), but no, you can't retrieve them. And no, there are no features going into BCM. Maybe in XP1 the ability to deploy and retrieve SFMs will be supported.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how you got them out there in the first place. I need to plug that hole.

3. Yes. At least until someone comes along and steals or destroys them.

4. Yes. Buy a lot of Iridium and stay cloaked

OK, please could someone clear up a few points for me:

Mining drones: The Zoom To function will not list mining drones on uninhabited planets unless you have some other presence (shuttle/fighter/marine/OC) on the planet. The drones are there, and mining, but you cannot find them. Is this the correct behaviour?

Also, when ordering a shuttle to recover the drone, if the Retrieve Drone X waypoint is the only waypoint set on the planet, will the shuttle make planetfall where the drone is, or where the waypoint is set (which may be miles from the drone as per the above paragraph)?

Perscan: On my Nightstar, the Intruders section of PerScan just lists the number of intruders and has a couple of up/down arrows (which apparently do nothing), with no details as to their locations etc, which makes sending marines to intercept a little bit harder. Is this the correct behaviour?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer the above.

Smiley

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

1. A cloaked ship for one

2. Not sure how you did it (you must have used the shuttle cockpit menu), but no, you can't retrieve them. And no, there are no features going into BCM. Maybe in XP1 the ability to deploy and retrieve SFMs will be supported.

Anyway, I'm curious to know how you got them out there in the first place. I need to plug that hole.

3. Yes. At least until someone comes along and steals or destroys them.

4. Yes. Buy a lot of Iridium and stay cloaked

1. hehe your not gonna tell me the parameters are you? that's cool. I just gotta get away from the ol CC sometimes, I'll just have to experiment.

2. Just tried it with 1002 RC2 There were some Marines chasing a Base around Lyrius (poor guys just couldn't catch up) so I created a waypoint for a SC to deploy, loaded a bunch of Space marines, and launched it. I had an Elite flying it, and he got out too, but he didn't die. Actually worked fairly well, but some of the commands such as GOTO and Halt didn't work, and Evac would not stay selected. I hope you add this feature to a future patch or XP. As open-ended as this games is, (and fun)I always feel disappointed when I run up against a games' boundaries.

4. Can you cleanup Cloaking radiation while cloaked?

Thanks, SC

WetWare

quote:

Originally posted by SmileyMan:

Mining drones: The Zoom To function will not list mining drones on uninhabited planets unless you have some other presence (shuttle/fighter/marine/OC) on the planet. The drones are there, and mining, but you cannot find them. Is this the correct behaviour?

Also, when ordering a shuttle to recover the drone, if the Retrieve Drone X waypoint is the only waypoint set on the planet, will the shuttle make planetfall where the drone is, or where the waypoint is set (which may be miles from the drone as per the above paragraph)?

Deploy your mining drones near a friendly mission area so you can just zoom back to that mission area when you want to recover them. If there are no friendly mission areas, just look for a feature on the face of the planet that you can remember and deploy them there. And if that doesn't work for you you can always just jot down the map coordinates of where you deployed them.

quote:

Perscan: On my Nightstar, the Intruders section of PerScan just lists the number of intruders and has a couple of up/down arrows (which apparently do nothing), with no details as to their locations etc, which makes sending marines to intercept a little bit harder. Is this the correct behaviour?

Can't say for sure, but I don't think their location will be displayed unless someone in your crew has located them. Hence the need to search.

quote:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer the above.

Smiley

You don't need to remember where you deployed the mining drone. Once you deploy it, it will ride around the planet mining minerals. To pick it up, set one waypoint as "proceed to next" (you can set it anywhere on the planet) and then next waypoint about 1 or so kilometer away as "retreive drone #x" and it will pick up the drone no matter where it is on the planet.

quote:

The Intruders' locations and stats are definitely viewable in PerScan. I believe this can happen when the PerScan list grows too big relative to your display setting/capability. You can drag the border of the section of the PerScan window with the Intruders in it to make it bigger and thus display the hidden information. Depending on how much screen real estate you have, you may need to do this at the expense of another window.

Hope this helps...

Thanks Soback, although I know that the shuttle can find the drone wherever it is on the planet. But overland travel is sloooooow, what I want is for the shuttle to planetfall right on top of the drone and then head back to the CC. I can do this by sending a fighter into the atmosphere with "Wait For Orders", allowing me to Zoom To the drones and then set Extract Drone waypoints targetted at the drones themselves. This is what I do at the moment, and it works fine (the shuttles get back to the CC real fast) but the initial sending a fighter bit seems a bit superfluous (because my scanner could detect an enemy ATV for instance without needing a presence on the planet). Setting the waypoints as you said would mean a long overland flight for my shuttle (might get those marine AIs up though )

Mitchell - thanks ever so much for your info. I didn't realise the areas were configurable like that.

Cheers all,

Smiley

quote:

Can you see their TTD on the map? If not, did you try to zoom to one of them using the Tacops/Zoom To option?

Yes sir, I do remember where I left them (mission zone1 on Trion during the CO training scenario), and no there was no TTD on the zoomed-in Tacops map.

quote:

Thanks Soback, although I know that the shuttle can find the drone wherever it is on the planet. But overland travel is sloooooow, what I want is for the shuttle to planetfall right on top of the drone and then head back to the CC. I can do this by sending a fighter into the atmosphere with "Wait For Orders", allowing me to Zoom To the drones and then set Extract Drone waypoints targetted at the drones themselves. This is what I do at the moment, and it works fine (the shuttles get back to the CC real fast) but the initial sending a fighter bit seems a bit superfluous (because my scanner could detect an enemy ATV for instance without needing a presence on the planet). Setting the waypoints as you said would mean a long overland flight for my shuttle (might get those marine AIs up though )

Mitchell - thanks ever so much for your info. I didn't realise the areas were configurable like that.

Cheers all,

Smiley

If you set your waypoints from TACOPS before launching the shuttle, then when you are done setting waypoints, come back to the bridge and lauch the shuttle, tell it "RESUME WAYPOINTS" order and see what it does. It should fly to the planet and drop right on top of the drone (or pretty close to it) pick it up and bring it back to CC in no time. Try it.

quote:

Cheers all,

Smiley

I'll see about adding the drones to the Tacops Zoom To menu.

Actually the extract drone waypoint doesn't have to be anywhere near the mining drones and they don't fly to the drone either. They fly to the way point then the drone pops on board. I even did a little playing around and droped drones 1 and 2 on one of Mars' moons and the drones 3 and 4 on the other moon. Next I entered the atmosphere of the second moon, placed extract drone waypoints for all four shuttles on this moon, and launched the shuttles. When they got to the waypoints they picked up the drones, even the ones from the other moon. Not terribly realistice but it sure makes extraction quick and easy!

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JelloKing:

Actually the extract drone waypoint doesn't have to be anywhere near the mining drones and they don't fly to the drone either. They fly to the way point then the drone pops on board. I even did a little playing around and droped drones 1 and 2 on one of Mars' moons and the drones 3 and 4 on the other moon. Next I entered the atmosphere of the second moon, placed extract drone waypoints for all four shuttles on this moon, and launched the shuttles. When they got to the waypoints they picked up the drones, even the ones from the other moon. Not terribly realistice but it sure makes extraction quick and easy!

That should only happen in debug mode because it makes testing easy. heh, some debug code must still be active. Will look into it.

quote:

Originally posted by Barron Morris:

Lets say a launch a probe and program it to make 3 jumps...then dock at a station...will the probe continue on its way while im docked...I assume yes...but then again Im just a clueless newbie

No because when you are docked (in single player) for gameplay reasons, world processing stops.

I was planning on changing this but I ran out of time and didn't do it.

ahhh...

No need to worry about having the station blown to bits while getting repairs from said station?

Just to clarify then, you could get in a dogfight with another vessel, dock at a nearby station for repairs, exit station and attack the same vessel which will still be at the same damage level as when you docked (assuming you damaged it)?

Another newbie question...

When you transport your self to a planet, is there a way to get back? It should be easy from tacops but I can't access tacops from first person. Maybe there is a way but i can't figure it out.

I hope this hasn't been covered somewhere else 'cus I couldn't find any posts on the subject. Then again, that could be because the answer is obvious.

quote:

Originally posted by Stroman:

ahhh...

No need to worry about having the station blown to bits while getting repairs from said station?

That, and a bunch of other nasties. It had the potential of opening a massive can of worms I didn't want to deal with (though I have no choice but to face them in the mp patch). So I opted not to touch it. If the recent post-Gold fixes and tweaks aren't an indication of just how massive this game is and how easy it is to miss stuff, I dunno what is. *shudder*

quote:

Just to clarify then, you could get in a dogfight with another vessel, dock at a nearby station for repairs, exit station and attack the same vessel which will still be at the same damage level as when you docked (assuming you damaged it)?

Yep

quote:

This is also in regards to Count_Sesine's question. SC, I could not find their TTD on the map and was unable to find them using the zoom option. Yes, I did remember where I put them. The computer says they are there but I just can't see them...

Also, Is there any way to deploy an ods? Thanks for the help!

I've noticed that when creating a new game you can select a number of Asset Classes and Types. I.E.: you can start with a Super Carrier AESTROM. I'm not sure I understand why you would want to start with a lesser ship. Also does this mean that upgrading to a better carrier in mid-game is not possible?

Also within the Tactical Computer, Loadout. I notice that there is a "Drone" loaded by default on each of my shuttles. I am assuming that this is not a mining drone as I've already tried to mine and was unable. If not, what is its purpose?

Last question: since you apparently do not start with a mining drone or enough cash for one, what's the best non-combat method of acquiring enough to buy one?

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Thermidor ]