A few Questions to you lot if I may........

JAY

1. Made a landing on a moon, and it was almost pitch black when viewing outside the ship, got myself out there and noticed it was just as black. Are there any landing spotlights that can be projected from the ship at all to illuminate the general landing area??

2. Why is it that when my Commander (me) got outside I wasn’t wearing any Helmet? surely it couldn’t have been a breathable Atmosphere ?

3. I saw while on the Bridge, small flashes or explosions on the screen when viewing outside, plus these was on the display when planning Waypoints, still there when I got back into space...what are they?

4. SAS Diode... Can’t seem to get it cleared, as soon as I started the game my ship was boarded! The ship seems to be constantly being boarded from the word go. Isnt this a little overkill on the boarding thing???... If shields are up, like in Star Trek or something shouldn’t this prevent transports to and from the ship?

Thanks...right back to work..

1. What time zone did you land in? It's usually quite dark on the backside of a moon.
    2. Some moons do have atmoshperes.
    3. It's an anomaly and is currently under investigation by the SC and us'ns.
    4. Find some quiet little corner of the galaxy and train up your crew. A smarter crew is better able to deal with intruders.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Wolferz ]

quote:

A smarter crew is better able to deal with intruders.

You forgot to mention that as the game progresses, the intruders get smarter, too. See this thread.

SAS diode- that reminds me, if you're at condition red or evacuate, shouldn't that little light on the bridgeviewer be red, like the CAS? As it stands, it just blinks dull green (as opposed to not blinking). It does blink yellow, however.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

yeah, only those starfleet pajama holiday excursionists need to see a blinking red light to know they're in trouble.

Us BC'ers know something's up when stuff starts to blow up.

• 2 weeks later...

My marines, stupid as they seem, still find the intruders and kill them. But the problem is i have so many people on my ship (100+ on my Firestorm) that they don't fit on one screen of my perscan. I can't find any where in the manual where it says how to flip to the next screen in the perscan.

quote:

Originally posted by SailorX Network:

Get the the patch 1.02 then just click on a the heading of each section adn drag them up or down.

heh, you can do that in all versions of the game. Its queries like this that caused me to put the advisory text in the 1.0.02 patch.

quote:

Originally posted by ooJAYoo:

1. Made a landing on a moon, and it was almost pitch black when viewing outside the ship, got myself out there and noticed it was just as black. Are there any landing spotlights that can be projected from the ship at all to illuminate the general landing area??

You're most likely on the dark side of that moon. If you wanna know where you are going on that planet/moon, look at where you set that waypoint in TacOps. If you didn't set a waypoint for your planetfall, you'll end up at 0-degrees. (Intersection of Prime Meridian (spelling?) and Equator.) Also, TacOps should display a "local time" when you hover your mouse over an area of a planet/moon. You can also work from that.

IIRC, only Fighters/Interceptors have the little image enhancer... (But I can't find the command in the Keyboard Quick List... Maybe I'm wrong.) But you can illuminate the ground while in first person, by activating your DIE (darklight image enhancer) by pressing "SHIFT-O", and changing it's mode by pressing "O" (not zero ) until you get to the darklight capability mode of the DIE.

quote:

2. Why is it that when my Commander (me) got outside I wasn’t wearing any Helmet? surely it couldn’t have been a breathable Atmosphere ?

Try exiting your craft on a planet with a violent atmosphere/weather system.... Like a gas planet (i.e. Jupiter). Be sure to save it first, though..... *evil grin*

quote:

3. I saw while on the Bridge, small flashes or explosions on the screen when viewing outside, plus these was on the display when planning Waypoints, still there when I got back into space...what are they?

Hm... I had this, too. It was fixed around 1.0.02 RC7. What version are you running?

quote:

4. SAS Diode... Can’t seem to get it cleared, as soon as I started the game my ship was boarded! The ship seems to be constantly being boarded from the word go. Isnt this a little overkill on the boarding thing???... If shields are up, like in Star Trek or something shouldn’t this prevent transports to and from the ship?

It used to be that intruders could always get in, but 1.0.02 RC8 added this bit: "Intruders will no longer board your ship if the EMD is on or you are in hyperspace".

Anyway, when I'm in battle, I use my PAD instead of missiles, and keep the EMD on the whole time. But it doesn't help when I'm boarded by a ship that's cloaked..... Then I'm screwed. (Super Cruiser-10 Marines..... All incompetent fools.... *sigh*) If you're boarded by more marines than you can handle, dock at a neutral or friendly station ASAP! The intruders are instantly transported to your brig. Just make sure to recruit more marines, if you lost any. (This was the step I forgot, until I realized I didn't have any next time I was boarded... ^_^;; )

Nova, over and out.

Hehehe.... I'm a forum admin for this Newbie Forum; after all, I'm the Newbie Welcome Wagon...... ph3aR //3!!!! me_0wnz_j00 n00bs now!!! (Step away from the medpacks, Nova...)

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

I understand the "dark side of the moon" concept. What I don't understand is why the surrounding starfield goes so dark as well..that seems to imply that our own Sun provides illumination to all other stars!! (Copernicus rolls in his grave). Unless I'm just having a video problem

quote:

Originally posted by Thermidor:

I understand the "dark side of the moon" concept. What I don't understand is why the surrounding starfield goes so dark as well..that seems to imply that our own Sun provides illumination to all other stars!! (Copernicus rolls in his grave). Unless I'm just having a video problem

Nah, don't worry. From this point your video card is fine. It's just the way it works. Don't know, but it might be possible to create a generic starfield for the dark side of moons/planets, but then the next guy would be crying that he wants to land on the moon and see earth. Too much trouble to go through to try and do that, and it might be too much for the video card.

quote:

Originally posted by Thermidor:

1. You can't see space from the planet because I don't render it. If I did, most won't have the machine to run it. In fact, I DO have that in the code, its just disabled. I put that in when I was putting in the new PTE-II SDK engine.

2. Light is not emitted from planets, so, even if you could see the Moon from Earth, it won't cast a light. Only the Sun casts a light.

I've got some serious and absolutely insane plans for XP1 in the graphics dept. Not saying much at this time, so don't ask.

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. Wahooo!

Oh trust me man. If you played BCK3000 AD v2.0, then BCM you see how much better it gets. Also, look at some of the screenshots for the upcoming titles, it's just too much to think about. It only gets better. I for one can't stop thinking about WWII add on, and BCO.

quote:

Originally posted by [PCA]Pheonix:

Agreed, XP1 will be kewl!

why is it EVERYONE is naming EVERYTHING XP nowerdays!

Dunno. For me its Xtended Play. For MS its Xperience. For AMD its....uhm, I don't even think they have a clue what their XP is for.

Of the three, I think mine has more merit.