Problems Upgrading...

Dunedan

Alright, I have been trading via Genesis and Galcom for a few hours now, and I have roughly 30 million bucks. I have already upgraded the Engine to Numega, and the Armor to TitaniumV. I bought the "Special Cargo" at Galcom for Upgrading the Shields, and Reactor. However when I go to try and upgrade them, it seems like they are not there. So I figured that I might need the celestial orb. Went and bought that, but it dosn't seem like it makes a difference.

Any help would be great...

Also does anyone know that one website with all of the detailed info pertaining to BCM? I think Gallion, or Cmdr. Nova created it???

I would bet that your shiny new artifacts are sitting in the cargo hold waiting for your RE to finish researching. Once that is accomplished, your SE's should be able to install the upgrades.

note: Do not dock with a station during artifact installation.

It is highly possible that your ship class is unable to use the special Shield and Reactor upgrades. I know for a fact that Firestorms, Stormcarriers, and Aestroms can NOT use them. I think the rest of the carriers can though, and I dont think any cruisers or smaller can either. Buy something smaller.

Have a question along the lines of the Special Upgrades...

According to the fine appendix and what was said above, the RE has to have a certain AI to be able to install the upgrade artifacts, correct? However, I am able to start a new fully patched game, do one mining op to get about 6-8 mil galcreds, buy the Karanian reactor AND the Tachyon Anagram Shield, and I can install them immediatly. Is this normal(being able to install them immediatly, not getting enough money for them so quickly...)? Do I need to report this?

Thanks. Great game, by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also been having problems upgrading my systems for my Firestorm, but with regular upgrades, not artifacts. After mining and selling minerals, I purchased the Numega engine upgrade, Tanis Spec, and Linear Spec IV. I launched and then immediatly installed both the engine and reactor upgrades from logistix with no problem. However, the upgrade light does not activate when I select the shield and it will not allow the upgrade. The same thing happened a bit later when I purchased Titanium V armor. The upgrade is in my cargo hold, but the light will not illuminate. I've tried waiting for over an hour with all officers on station. I've also tried docking and selling the upgrades, then repurchasing them somewhere else. Nothing will illuminate those lights. This is the second game in which I've encountered this problem. In my previous game, only the armor refused to install. I'm very confused and i believe that I have followed proper upgrade procedures. Please help.

Athlon 1333

256MB PC2100

Geforce 3 64MB (23.11)

Pioneer 16xDVD + Plexwriter 16/10/40A

2x60GB HDs with Promise Fasttrack Raid Controller

SB Live digital

Win XP

I think this is how you find the information:

Open the 3000ad/bcm/data folder and open these two INI files: assets.ini and items.ini. The assets.ini file details what ships can take what upgrades by listing the upgrades as numbers. Look up the numbers on the items.ini file and you will find what upgrades a ship can have. If the upgrade is not listed on the ship in the assets.ini file, then that ship can't handle the upgrade.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]

I looked up the assets.ini and items.ini as instructed and cross referenced the upgrade item numbers. According to those files, the Firestorm can equip all non-artifact upgrades, including Linear Spec IV and Titanium V. Still, the game refuses to let me install them.

Here's something else interesting. I tried restoring my very first saved game, which was created before I had purchased any upgrades period. I sold some spare parts and such to get cash for a shield upgrade. I bought a linear spec IV and guess what? The light illuminated and it allowed me to install the upgrade! However, upon restoring my current save file, the same situation is present again. Upgrades are on board, but no illuminated upgrade light. I think this situation is very peculiar. Also, no systems are damaged and the crew is healthy.

Athlon 1333

256MB PC2100

Geforce 3 64MB (23.11)

SB Live digital

Win XP

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Gorgunzola ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gorgunzola:

I looked up the assets.ini and items.ini as instructed and cross referenced the upgrade item numbers. According to those files, the Firestorm can equip all non-artifact upgrades, including Linear Spec IV and Titanium V. Still, the game refuses to let me install them.

Are you attempting to install them while docked or not?

Because upgrades cannot be started while docked.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

I've tried to install the upgrades in space and not while docked. I edited my previous post to explain how the upgrades worked with an old save file. Is it possible that something is wrong with my save files? Remember, this is the second individual game (character profile) that has given me this problem. Some upgrades will install, then other ones will not. I've tried everything that I know to do and followed all advice. I have not tinkered with any of my files or done anything that might otherwise corrupt them.

Well, I got kinda antsy and decided to take out a INS city/base on Earth, come to find out all those pretty weapons I have on my ship and all my powerful fighters can't put a scratch on a ground target.. neither can my ground troops! Besides OTS weapons and ATS missles, what else can damage a ground unit? My ship loves to fires it's PTA system at those buildings but to no effect. Is this supposed to happen?

I have found a strange solution to my upgrade problem. As I said, I was able to upgrade my Firestorm's engines and reactor to the best availble level, but the armor and shield upgrade lights would not illuminate. I have read and followed all advice to no avail.

My solution was initially purley experimental. Since I was able to install the shield upgrade when i restored an old save file, I figured that maybe the variable that was causing my problem could be the already installed numega engine or tanis spec reactor. I repurchased the weakest engine and reactor and installed them both. This somehow caused the shield and armor upgrade lights to illuminate. I then upgraded my armor and shields to maximum levels, followed by again replacing my reactor and engine with their respective upgrades. No other problems have been encountered.

Obviously, I am not in the position to say that this situation is the result of a bug, but there may be an issue here worth investigating. I have not seen anything in the manual or appendix relating to whether or not installing certain upgrades prevents other, unrelated upgrades from being installed.

Athlon 1333

256MB PC2100

Geforce 3 64MB (23.11)

SB Live digital

Win XP