Having trouble playing the MP3s...

Ancharon

(I just typed up a rather long and detailed post concerning my problem, but I got some bloody error saying:

quote:

Could not find any forum_thread_data files! Please tell the board administrator to Rebuild Forum Stat Files for forum: 19

and so now my post is all gone. I'm attempting to rewrite it, but my short-term memory doesn't hold much so I'll probably forget some stuff. A good swift kick and a query for info should help if I forget anything, though. )

Anyway, my problem is that many of the MP3s do not play in-game. I added a bunch of MP3s to the SoundFX/Music folder so I could listen to them in the game, but it doesn't seem to work right.

When I start up the game, the intro music plays and then the first track plays when I actually get into a scenerio, but all the tracks after that just come out as soft static. I hit the Alt+, and Alt+. button combos to switch tracks, but none of the others play.

Looking at the FAQ, it might be that some of my MP3s (or quite a few of them...I hit the Alt+. button combo many a time) are VBR format, and not CBR. I have absolutely no clue how to check, though... (I'm a total newbie when it comes to music files... )

It could be that the game randomly chooses a CBR file when it starts a scenerio, which is why that one plays, and then there's just a long line of VBR ones, but, as I said, I have no clue how to check. All the MP3s work fine in Winamp and Media Player 7.1, and I have no other sound problems at all.

Everything else in the game works as perfectly as it could with a Voodoo 3 card and a 350 MHz processor *sigh* ('cept for that no-automatic-quit-upon-death bug mentioned in one of the other forums, but since the SC said he's got a fix for that I'm not concerned).

If you play a VBR file through WinAmp, for example, you will notice the the "kbps" display changes whilst the music plays, whereas with CBR it remains constant. Also, if you look at the ID3 tag editor in WinAmp, it says if it is VBR under the file info.

First off remove all music files that you put into the SoundFX/Music folder. Add 1 at a time to the folder and then run the game, this will help you isolate which MP3's are causing the problem.

Second VBR's do work but you can not use any with a bit rate over 128. I would suggest that you use a Music converter such as Music Matchto convert your music files to the proper format.

Once converted add one at a time to make sure that they are working first.

Last but not least if you have Winamp running, check the faq, you can not have this running while playing BCM. Hope this info helps.

User created or just user added? Heh, I couldn't create an MP3 if my life depended on it...

As far as I can tell, I followed all of the rules for adding MP3s listed in the FAQ, and, watching the kbps reading and looking at all the ID3 info things for the MP3s I have in there, none of them are VBR...

Sorry to bug you, maybe it's just my piece of utter crap computer... When I get my new one I'll see if I have the same problems.

All my MP3s are 128 kbps or lower (one's even 48 kbps ), and Winamp is indeed not running (and I force quit the little "Winampa" program Windows automatically starts when Windows boots up.)

I'll go try adding them one by one, though, to see if it's only a few of them.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Ancharon ]

If you do create MP3's, make sure you turn off any copy protection options your MP3 creator uses. I had a problem beta testing when I created my MP3's with Real Jukebox, and they wouldn't play in BCM. After I turned off the copy protection, and recreated them, everything went smoothly.

Have fun.

Oh, and I've found that spaces and/or symbols (like the dash "-") usualy run, but sometimes don't. Really long names also might not run, but don't know. (All of this I'm saying is from my demo experiences, and might be changed.)

Try renaming the filename, or just typing in "a.mp3" "b.mp3" or so on, because you won't even need the filenames once in game. Also, do what everyone said above. See if this helps.