Missile performance question

Do the various types of missles (especially STS or ATA) have varying performance/maneuverability characteristics in BCM?

The way it is at the moment, I cannot really tell which type of missle is more suitable for FC to FC combat.

ie I've listed STS missles as follows

Anti-Fighter (lower damage)

LR CTL Starflash

LR CTL Starseeker

MR CTL Analog

General Purpose (medium damage)

LR ATL Starchild

MR ATL Firestar

MR ATL/V Questor

SR ATL/V Pereus

Heavy Hitters (higher damage)

SR ATL/V Vagrant

SR ATL/V Ralix

Given the appendix info, I cannot tell if any of these missles are more/less maneuverable, ergo perhaps more likely to hit a fast moving FC, than any other.

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by Guardian452:

Do the various types of missles (especially STS or ATA) have varying performance/maneuverability characteristics in BCM?

Yes. ALL missiles have different characteristics.

In fact, I just checked and noticed that Gallion did not include the max speed/pitch/roll/yaw values for missiles in the missiles.html appendix file. Will ask him to put those in.

UPDATE: A few hours after I sent Gallion the info for this, he just sent me an updated appendix file which now contains the info. This will be added in the final 1.0.04 patch due out later today.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

"Sir, incoming missiles...they're those highly manouverable ones!"

"shut up ensign, turn on the ECM and bank the ship slightly to the right, they'll miss"

"yay!"

Dont waste your money on any missile except the ralix, vagrant or questors.

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

Hey thats great new SC! I was wondering about the missiles myself! I didnt think they all had the same turn rate.

They don't. And the faster the turn rate, the more effective the missile. Missiles with higher PRY rates are highly dangerous.

e.g.

The Sunflash has a PRY rating of 15/18/20* degrees/second

The Vagrant has a PRY rating of 105/120/45 d/s

If you go in a vertical climb with a Vagrant up your pipe, if you don't jam it, you are going to get hit because its P rating is way higher than yours. And if you are in a turn, its going to hit you that much faster.

And since the R(oll) rating is higher than the P(itch) and Y(aw), the missile will always perform a roll first if it can; since it is faster. Crafts do the same thing. Which is why you can out turn some of them and vice versa.

Don't forget that missiles don't have to hit in order to cause damage. Even if you keep evading a missile, it will self-destruct when its timer expires. And it will self destruct once its proximity alarm goes off (similar to mines). The proximity breach range depends on the size of the target. And once it self-destructs like that, its the fragments and shock that damages you.

*I just noticed that Gallion got this wrong in the appendix!

Out-of-game, it would be possible. (RP) Like attatch a nuclear warhead to a conventional missile.

But you know..... Why not try and position yourself so that your OTS's flight path to the planet, brings it straight into the heart of a station? Crude, and probably won't work, but who can blame me for talking?

quote:

Originally posted by XenoZohar:

I think he just means being able to use missles with the DAMAGE capability of an OTS... which is stupid, in my opinion. "OOp, that station's trying to kill me! Better lob a few nukes at it."

heh, considering that he's always clamouring about the game being too easy, the stations too easy to destroy/capture etc, one has to wonder what he's thinking at any one time.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I know what OTS mean, but after all it's a nuclear warhead, and nukes CAN blow in space, since they don't need air, and it can go in space (since it's launched from space and I've seen it make U-turns, so it can manoeuver in space.

Siddown!