Engine upgrade problem

Heya everyone. After lurking here for quite some time, I finally had a problem that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere else, so I registered for the forum and I'm asking it myself. I've had the game for a week and a half or so, and mostly I've just been messing around, checking out the galaxy, seeing what can wipe me out at first and what can't, ect. I've finally started to play seriously, though; and I've started a roam career that I'm hoping will go well, so I can begin an ACM game. To that end, I was running the commlinks/FC chargers route between Galcom HQ and Genesis that is described elsewhere in the forum while my drones were mining Earth, and was wildly successful. Unfortunately, I've run into a few problems. First, when I but the commlinks I take my cargo bat 1 space down to 0, and it won't let me buy anymore, even though my Megaron has a second cargo bay that is compleyely unused. Is there a way to switch the 'active' cargo bay so I can use both of them? Also, I just bought a Numega engine to save on the radine I'm burning in this route, but the 'upgrade' button for the engines is still dark, and I can't assign any engineers to it. I have two theories of what I think might be happening. First, perhaps the Megaron can't equip the best engine? (that would be too bad!) ...Or maybe you have to install the upgrades in order. I dunno, which is why I'm asking here, of course. Any help'll be greatly appreciated. In a game as massively complex as this, it's easy to overlook a little but important thing, which is what I'm assuming I've done.

EDIT- Whoops. I figured the system profile sig was dynamic and would be updated here when I fixed it. So, here it is for now.

System Profile

[ 01-29-2002, 18:57: Message edited by: Nathilus ]

Nathilus

Glad to see you finally decided to jump into the fray....now let's see....

Each one of the Items In BCM have been assigned a specific Cargo bay that they are stored in....when you go to purchase them in tradcom it gives a little info screen down in the lower right....This tells you which Bay that particular Item will go to....these are NON transferrable...Ie. if It goes in cargo bay 1...It only goes in cargo bay 1.

When upgrading make sure that you are NOT docked...you can only install upgrades when you are free of a station...also make sure that everyone needed to Install said upgrades is where they need to be.....ie chief Engineer, sysengineers on station.

hope this helps...

and by the way.....have ya thought about joining a Fleet yet?.......when ya do,give us a look see over at Wraith HQ

Here is a side question regarding the non-transferrable cargo. I know they're assigned to Cargo-1, Cargo-2, etc..., but is it possible to transfer them to a shuttle craft so in essence you're still storing them just not in the assigned cargo bay?

quote:

but is it possible to transfer them to a shuttle craft so in essence you're still storing them just not in the assigned cargo bay?

Yes. You can even get creative with the transporter. You can also unload the OC and/or drone (the drone you have already "unloaded" by sending it to mine) for more room on the shuttle.

quote:

Originally posted by Nathilus:

Also, I just bought a Numega engine to save on the radine I'm burning in this route, but the 'upgrade' button for the engines is still dark, and I can't assign any engineers to it.

One of two things is happening here

1. You are still docked at a station as has been mentioned. Upgrades are not allowed at stations. Union rules
  2. You have the engine loaded in a shuttle instead of a cargo bay. Your SysEngineers are not smart enough to look anywhere by the pre-assigned cargo bay for any spare parts.

quote:

Originally posted by Nathilus:

EDIT- Whoops. I figured the system profile sig was dynamic and would be updated here when I fixed it. So, here it is for now.

Follow all the directions in this post exactly as listed and you can't go wrong.