oh the humanity!!

Greetings all!

as you can see I am a new member here, long time reader, first time poster. (finally got the game, THANK YOU PUROLATOR!!) I have to say that this is the most magnificent game I have ever seen in my entire life. Usually when I buy a game, I'll read the manual, start it up, and 10 minutes later I'm running around destroying anything that moves. My first reaction upon starting my random scenario as TER/MIL was *jaw hits floor* "HOLY S**T!!" I had never seen anything like it, I didn't even know what I wanted to do, much less how to do it.

so after about half an hour of fiddling around with menus, trying to figure out where things are, playing with my fighters and shuttles, and going out in my space suit and shooting my little pea shooter at Earth for a little while. I decided to start doing something, I noticed my money was a little low, so I decided to go trade something. So I fiddle around for a while trading FC chargers and whatnot between genesis and galcom HQ.

Then I see this red blip on my scanners, I set my sights on it and say to myself "alright mr. megaron, you get to be victim #1!" So I figure out how to fly over there, ready my weapons and get ready to shoot him up. I get up close to him, try and bring my guns to bear (blasted gamepad!! aiming with keys is real hard) and start shooting. At this point I see return fire and think nothing of it. Then all of my sudden, stuff on the screen starts flashing red, and out of the corner of my eye I beleive I saw Resnig making a mess in his pants. That is when I realised that I forgot to turn my freaking sheilds on. So I self destructed that ship and start all over.

I am doing better with my new firestorm, I am sitting around waiting for my mining drones to fill up (easy couple million bucks ) and hoping that galcom HQ gets a new shipment of iridium in soon, since I wasted all of the iridium supplies it had running it to genesis for a measly 1000 profit per unit

I've managed to get my upgrades going (engine, reactor, shields *spectrum/A is the best right???*, armor) and am currently trying to figure out how in the world to get artifacts to work, and also trying to figure out how to get the AI of my officers built up so that I can install the better artifacts

I am having a blast with this game, I couldn't really figure out what the benefits of going with a cruiser would give me, I looked in the appendix and in the manual, saw a bunch of numbers, furrowed my brow and decided to go with a carrier cause of all the fighters and marines it had (saw all the intruder horror stories on here). This game has EVERYTHING, there's still tons of stuff I haven't done yet, so, has anyone found the kitchen sink?? its gotta be in there somewhere!! I also have a shuttlecraft or 2 that have about 99% damage on a scanner or something and they wont seem to fix even if I put 20sysengs on it. Oh well, I'll just let them get damaged a little more and then I'll fix em

Anyway, glad to finally have a game and to be a part of this great community, that I have been observing throught the open porthole for the last few weeks

*hides in FC1 and tries to hide from being tossed out the airlock*

Only way to get your crew AI higher is if you give them something to do, eg. fighter pilots should get better AI if they are out a lot patrolling etc.

And about upgrades Pugwash has excellent page about upgrades, trade items and nice Jump matrix calculator (it works saved too without internet connection) so you can tell the big difference between cruisers and carriers (one of them ).

And welcome to our mmmmmmmm......... daydream

[rp]

Kitchen sink? Wait, I think I saw a climpse of it somewhere....

[/rp]

Pugwash Just edited the like my web page name has changed

[ 11-24-2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Pugwash ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shadow_Wolf33:

hey is there anything special I can do to get my officers AI higher other than just leaving the game on forever?

Leave them onstation indefinitely and then take them offline when their FF goes to about 50. You can also deploy them on a friendly planetary base and leave them there (halt orders or similar). Then come back and get them.

Thanks! I just looked at that jump matrix calculator, that thing is sweet! I tried entering in a few random places, and wowzers, it looks like when I want to travel that far out I should start the sequence before I go to class and then pick up where it left off when I get home

Leave them on a planet with halt orders or something like that eh? hmmm, I wonder how well that cloning module would be able to replicate Resnig after dropping an OTS missile on him

one thing I haven't been able to find is where it shows what the atmosphere on a planet is like (call me stupid or give this Q. the all time idiot award but I haven't been able to find it for the life of me) I've read the manual and the appendix and everything, althought I was a wee bit tired when I read the manual so I might have missed it. So if at all possible would someone please be able to tell me where in the manual I'd be able to find out where it says what the atmosphere is like? or just tell me?

This place is great, at last a message board that isn't full of nimrods that do nothing but say "bahahaha that game suxx0rz I would own your ass at counterstrike" ugh...that gets so tiresome. Congrats to SC and all the admins and mods that make this place what it is!! and I just hope you don't toss me out the airlock for making the occasional joke/smartass remark

*goes back to hiding in FC1 with a ZS10 on his lap*

Hehe I can see it now... bcm mp...

[rp]

------------ Marinez rulz killed Death sux0r

------------ Marinez rulz killed Sniper_killa

Marinez rulz -> h3h3h3

(DEAD) Death sux0r -> Some serious 0wnage

(DEAD) Sniper_killa -> bleh

YoMomma -> Raiders owns j00

*sound of an incoming fighter*

Marinez rulz -> WTF?

------------ Flyboy killed Marinez rulz

------------ Flyboy killed YoMomma

(DEAD) Death sux0r -> hahaha

(DEAD) YoMomma -> Cheater!

(DEAD) Sniper_killa -> yay!

(DEAD) Marinez rulz -> Damn

Flyboy -> haha you all sux0r, I 0wsz j00

[/rp]

Whatever...

quote:

Shadow_Wolf33

that jump matrix calculator, that thing is sweet!

Glad you like it, just remember to fill up with plenty of fuel before you start those long journeys.

I will at some point update it so that you can select your current reactor and engine types and it will calculate the approximate fuel usage.

quote:

Shadow_Wolf33

one thing I haven't been able to find is where it shows what the atmosphere on a planet is like

Check the planet data page the second column is what your after click on the column title word "TYPE" for an explanation.

CYA

• 4 weeks later...

Thank God for shuttles. Did you ever see your gas tank on "E" and pass by several service stations just to see how far you could push it? ("Nah honey, we can make it.")

I was doing somthing similar today as I was heading back to Earth to retrieve my drones. After jumping into the home system, I didn't have enough fuel to engage my hyperdrive to make the final jump to Galcom HQ. Rats!

I sent my AE out in a shuttle on a fuel run to HQ so I could get my CC started up again. I can just see my crew waiting for me to show up with the red gas can.

Maybe some individual with ambition can start a Triple A service when MP arrives?

quote:

Originally posted by Masefield:

Thank God for shuttles. Did you ever see your gas tank on "E" and pass by several service stations just to see how far you could push it? ("Nah honey, we can make it.")

I was doing somthing similar today as I was heading back to Earth to retrieve my drones. After jumping into the home system, I didn't have enough fuel to engage my hyperdrive to make the final jump to Galcom HQ. Rats!

I sent my AE out in a shuttle on a fuel run to HQ so I could get my CC started up again. I can just see my crew waiting for me to show up with the red gas can.

Maybe some individual with ambition can start a Triple A service when MP arrives?

LOL!!! I can just see this happening in mp. Waiting around for your shuttle to come back....just when the other sides figures out you're probably stranded.

I can see it now:

RP/

KreKol: KreKol's towing service, how may I halp ya!!!

Commander: Man, am I glad to see YOU. I ran out of Fuel, so what is this going to cost me.

KreKol: 1,000,000 Gal Credits for the first three jumps and 500,000 each additional jump.

Commander: WHAT!!!!!! That is Space Way Robbery. I will not pay that much.

KreKol: Too bad. I here the Insurgents want a peice of you, and I just got my RADIO fixed. Hey, is that a KARANIAN MARK IV REACTOR I see there.......

/RP

[ 02-28-2002, 11:39: Message edited by: KreKol ]