Disabling Engines and Weapons

Ok, I underrstand that after knocking down an enemy ship's hull integrity/armor REALLY low, they will show up as disabled and/or emit an SOS. Now, what i'm trying to figure out, is why is it that it's impossible to disable an enemy ship's weapons and/or engines specifically. I take my phased array IOD or the normal one and target SPECIFICALLY other ships engines or weapon area (where their shots are coming from), and they show NO performance loss, while on the other hand when I am directly damaged in a weapon bay/engine area, I lose engines or weapons and have an actual performace drop in BC functionality. Any advice?

I believe I remember SC talking about this before Afaik NPC ships damage is limited to 4 areas where as player ships have alot more damage areas I believe it was done to reduce the processing power required during larger battles.(Can you image the processing power required to track an monitor the damage to lets say 10 ships if they all had the same damage levels that pc ships have?)

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

I believe I remember SC talking about this before Afaik NPC ships damage is limited to 4 areas where as player ships have alot more damage areas I believe it was done to reduce the processing power required during larger battles.(Can you image the processing power required to track an monitor the damage to lets say 10 ships if they all had the same damage levels that pc ships have?)

SC can do it So maybe we will see CTAS in BCM or one of the XPs (x - fingers).