Lack of enemy Marines on planet

I have read elsewhere that people have noticed strange behavior from enemy marines and defensive forces while on foot in an enemy planetary base. Such things as once their AI marines are killed the enemy ignores them. In my experience, I have never seen an enemy marine on a planet. I have seen the SF Marines launched by stations, but when I personally beam down to an enemy base, or deploy marines and myself, no enemy marines or defensive forces appear to respond to our presence.

I have searched through the forums but have not found anyone else with this specific observation.

I'm curious if I have a setting wrong or if it's something to do with my driver configuration. Since updating my video drivers, my FPS weapons no longer fire at light speed.

Though in the beginning I didn't really consider it a problem, seeing as it's very easy to destroy bases, but the lack of challenge is starting to show through now that I am a little more experienced.

Has anyone else seen this happen? If so what do I do in order to have the enemy defend themselves planetside?

[ 03-29-2002, 00:34: Message edited by: Quicksilver ]

Sorry for the lack of information.

The Earth, the Moon, every planet I have landed on, every hostile mzone I have landed in. I have never seen an enemy marine. I have been out of my CC attacking the base with my marines, and at times without them. Never once did an enemy ground unit fire on me or even acknowledge my presence.

The air defense systems certainly respond. SAM and SAL batteries fire at me, and the bases launch fighters.

quote:

The Earth, the Moon, every planet I have landed on, every hostile mzone I have landed in. I have never seen an enemy marine. I have been out of my CC attacking the base with my marines, and at times without them. Never once did an enemy ground unit fire on me or even acknowledge my presence.

Try sending 10 or 20 marines from your cc down. The base will send out about 4 or 5x more then what you have (they seem to spill from every building! ) and of course they will butcher your marines. Though I see your point for enemy ground units ignoring me. Only time they shot at me was in marine IA scenarios.

Yea, I noticed that too...no marines or enemy ATV's attacking my forces...but I thought for sure someone would have posted something about it and the SC had responded he knew and was patching that or something to that response.

I sent in all twenty of my Regular Marines and we blew the crap up out of a base, never ran into any other marines though...SAMs and SALs certainly did work though...along with the Fighters...but they only attacked if my Fighters attacked.

The only reason my marines died, was because I gave them SAD orders, and when they ran smack into a launch pad they just went splat...were dead all of the sudden. We'll probably regret telling him this you know?

quote:

Originally posted by Shintai Tusatsu:

Yea, I noticed that too...no marines or enemy ATV's attacking my forces...

Vehicles don't, but marines should be sent out from most structures, especially bunkers, barracks, starbases and launch pads. If they don't, something's gone awry.

I'm not going to look into it until someone credible (damn n00bs always end up wasting my time) posts that there is a problem.

SC, while I know I am not "credible" I have never seen an enemy marine on land either. I've sent down squads of 25+ marines to attack a base, and never once had to worry about their well being, only that of my fighters and shuttles, for the SAMs and fighters launched certainly fought back. (In fact so many fighters that I now send marines and OCs to destory launch pads before sending in fighter cover) However I've destoryed entire bases with marines and not had to worry about the enemy engaging my troops. They've been free to fire upon enemy stuctures without my marines being targeting by anyone. I've never lost a marine on land when their not in a vehical. My two cents, for whatever they are worth.

I didn't hear back from the Beta testers, so I went and ran some tests. I found the problem in one of the master scripts. I set the min acquisition range too low; and this prevented those units from even detecting you.

I will be releasing an updated set of script files in a few mins (since no code change was needed) to resolve this problem until the next patch is released.

This change will probably not affect existing save games though; but try it anyway. So, you need to start a new game in order to use these new values.

To see if this works, simply run the IA06 [bCIA0023] script and exit your ATV. You will be engaged by marines almost immediately.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I set the min acquisition range too low; and this prevented those units from even detecting you.

lol

so every base was being defended by blind deaf marines

No.

The parameter used to determine the radar detection range was set too low. This puts it too close to the object itself, meaning that you'd have to be *real* close in order to be detected.

e.g. the barracks is 175m wide from its center. The detect range for it was set to 100m. So, you'd have to be inside the model in order to breach its radar detection range. As such, it won't see hostiles and doesn't launch defense units (e.g. marines).

Now that the extra zero (making it 1000m again) has been added to these units (I recently did a search and replace to change from values and inadvertently changed these as well), it works the way it used to.

[ 03-31-2002, 14:53: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

...uhm, I take it that it works now, then?

Oh yeah baby! I sent a recon force into the insurgent starbase on Earth and they were sniped into oblivion right quick!

quote:

Originally posted by Captain X:

Oh yeah baby! I sent a recon force into the insurgent starbase on Earth and they were sniped into oblivion right quick![/QB]

ah, I just love it when a good plan comes together.