Some notes from an almost green newbie ;)

Well. Hello (not very original isn't it?).

I'm a newbie to a BCM (but not a BC, so...). Here, where I live (sort of f*** country this Poland is) it's next to impossible to obtain a working ver of BCM (in exception of pirates ofc ) so I had to order it from US...

Well, enough of that chit-chat. In my short-time experience in playing BCM i've stomped into few problems I couldn't handle well. I'll try to make it strict:

1) PlanetOps - the only "safe" way to deploy a team is IMHO a transporter. Every time I wanted to drop down a team of Marines from a shuttle I've heard not very invigorating 8x"aah" and whole team got KIA. WTF?! Is a shuttle droppin' them from 12000 meters or what? Even if so, then where are their "parachutes MarkIII". I know it's a HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) type of mission, but got no idea how to perform such an action w/o gettin' killed half of my marines...

2) PlanetOps again. How do I make waypts for my away team, while they are down on the planet. No icon on Bridgeviewer, no icon in TACOPS (and yeah, I've read the f*** manual, and still no clue). The only way to issue any order to a marine in need is to locate him in TACOPS, point'n'click and issue order to a single one alone. (OK. I found another way - board a shuttle or OC and issue orders from their interface. Still too slow method) Is there a faster way? Please help.

3) Got a situation during combat in space. With my Firestorm class carrier and 8 FC on board I've decided to assign one pilot only (no co-pilot) to each of my FC's, so all could be launched at-once while in critical situation. And so it came to be that a Stormcarier warped in to wreak havoc and destruction to Starpath station. I've launched 4 FC's using a standard system (brought from BC3k) -1st FC on Intercept, 2nd defends 1st one. 3rd FC on Intercept, 4th defends him. 4th FC got Roamer inside and got blasted by several rockets before I could get him off the battle. Severe damage occured (but reactor and hull integrity were still a'ok) and only pilot got KIA. Tried to TOW my halted FC back, using a shuttle, but 'twas useless. Every time I issued an order of "Deliver to>Support units>GCV-Rickenbacker" shuttle docked. FC - not. I don't know what happened. Maybe it's a bug or something. Clone of Roamer was already on-board of CC and this FC stucked outside still w/o crew on-board. Finally I exited CC and docked the FC by myself. Phew. Long story... As for now I only launch FCs with full crew of pilot and co-pilot (but that's what I may call an "experience of freshly baked commander"). Don't know. If any of ya had such situation before, please post how'd ye solved it.

Well, that completes my set of problems for a start.

In addiction I have to say, that BCM is surely a great game! I've played alot before, but this is something I've never experienced. It's almost ideal. (Ofc it's not ideal. Why would the Supreme Cmdr work on another version of it, hmm?) It satisfied almost all of my fancied expectations.

Oh, and one more thing. I'd like to apologise for my english. I know it's full of bugz and mistakes, but hell - no one's perfect.

With regards,

[ 04-12-2002, 18:49: Message edited by: M.S.Ullman ]

not sure if these will completly help, but here

1) no HALO jumps in the game, marines dont carry chutes, the EF marines have jetpacks though. use waypoints for the SC, make WP1 proceed to next, then make WP2 deploy team, should make the SC fly lower to deploy

2) unfortunatley there is no team tactics for marines, but from tacops, u can hit the hold button in the menu to the left, and then give them orders one by one

3) use RTB for the SC, not deliver to. deliver to is for stations and other ships. also if u do use deliver to and the FC is left outside ur ship, use the tractor to claim it and it will prompt u to bring it on board. then just hit Shift+] to set shields back at max

Yuh. Got brain-fart yesterday - ofc there are no HALO drops in BCM. Thx for feedback, Enigma. I've tried yer suggestions and...

Well, here it goes:

1) Tried two and even three waypts. Everything was calculated - entering point, distance (over 100kms), TOT (important in highly complicated ground ops) and balanced team on-board.

Didn't work. Three times in a row...

I guess I'll stuck to tranporter ops then.

2) Hmmm... Pressing "hold" button helped indeed. But I'm still curious about one sentence in BCM manual (side 31, 7th paragraph from the top):

"When you are deploying personnel currently in a vehicle, shuttle or transporter, you can create separate waypoints for the vehicle and the team of personnel. [...]"

Does this conclude anything?

3) Didn't have a chance to try those ideas out - but they'll be useful when appropriate situation occures in future.

Well, some of my problems still remains unresolved... Too bad.

With regards,

As far as I know, the only way to retrieve a disabled fighter is to get close enough with your CC and tractor. Have the shuttle fly back to the CC, then have it disable the tractor, then tractor in useing the CC.

As soon as any pilot is dead you can begin cloning I believe. Hope this helps.

This is how I do things, however I'm sure there are (as is ALWAYS the case with BCM) multable ways to do things.

Polish Pride Friend.

[ 04-16-2002, 00:53: Message edited by: goaliejerry ]

quote:

Originally posted by M.S.Ullman:

(side 31, 7th paragraph from the top):

"When you are deploying personnel currently in a vehicle, shuttle or transporter, you can create separate waypoints for the vehicle and the team of personnel. [...]"

Does this conclude anything?

let me test some shuttle WP manuvers, and those team WPs, to see if they hold true. but i think they are a team till the are deployed, and they follow the WPs u set, but only work as a team cause of the same WP and target