hmmmmm

one thing i find strange is that i see a lot of ships that space jump to an enemy starstation and they are destroyed before they even get out of hyper space. I read the manual and it says things are not real when in hyperspace why are lasers real then. it makes it impossible to attack a station. is this a glitch?

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

one thing i find strange is that i see a lot of ships that space jump to an enemy starstation and they are destroyed before they even get out of hyper space. I read the manual and it says things are not real when in hyperspace why are lasers real then. it makes it impossible to attack a station. is this a glitch?

People said that the bases were too easy to capture or destroy, and then came V1.0.06-02.26.02,( see VCF), now the stations are quite a different story!!! I use this fact, if you are chased by a sizeable enemy force, jump to a friendly station, stick around and collect cargo and tow disabled ships...

I agree however that laser fire does exist in hyperspace around stations, should it? I am not sure!!!...I do not jump to stations uncloaked anymore!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Charles Lindsey:

They (Stations) don't shoot you when you are in hyperspace. Just right as you come out and are vulnerable.

Wrong. Each time I used my cruiser, I was dead about 5-10 seconds before I would have exited hyper-space.

and if when we're coming out of hyperspace, and they can shoot us, why can't we shoot them?

Guest MIKE113

EP5 is correct! Any capital ship not cloaked that jumps to an unfriendly station is history! The only ship I have personally seen make it is the G-Super carrier but it is so damaged that he's easy pickin's... as I said I pick up a lot of cargo pods this way!...

[ 07-09-2002, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: MIKE113 ]

I believe that those last 5 to 10 seconds you are getting shot at are the time that the animation of the ship exiting the HJ is played. I'll have to load it up and look at it again, but if that is the case, just the part out of HJ is getting shot at... be glad that SC doesn't have shields down in HJ and when you are coming out

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

That's why you never ever attack a station if you don't have a cloack.

I don't ride carriers. I dont like carriers, at all. Too slow on hyper-drive. The battlecruisers are eveen worse because of only 3 turret... I once fought a icmk2 using a bcmk3 and after 5 mins, the armor on the IC didn't go down a notch. But I love the Sunflash.

quote:

Originally posted by MIKE113:

I agree however that laser fire does exist in hyperspace around stations, should it? I am not sure!!!...I do not jump to stations uncloaked anymore!!!

It doesn't. Pure and simple. Why?

Well because a target in hyperspace is not a valid target and not even in the attack matrix.

The only reason it would appear as if they were being destroyed while in hyperspace is because the station has already acquired the target and knows where it is going to emerge from (just like you do). And as soon as that happens, all it takes is a few tracking turrets to completely obliterate the craft even before it fully de-materializes.

...and if you ladies did your homework and checked the turret firing rate for the station in question, you would see that it takes mere milliseconds for a station with good turret coverage (assuming they are not already tracking/engaging other targets) to rip through even a carrier's shields in no time. That ms between fully de-materializing and engaging an attack profile, is all that stands between a good attack and total destruction.

...which is why NPCs with high AI either (a) do not make it a habit of jumping to stations until they've assessed it's turrets coverage (B) send in fighters first © immediately break during de-materializing etc etc

[ 07-09-2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dredd:

Just wondering, but how many of you have successfully carried out a trade blockade against a station? If so, how long did it take?

I have, back when I was testing it after I implemented it.

Didn't take long because I simply cheated and gave myself a fleet. Then shot everything and everything that jumped in. Took a few hours actually (I had it running on another machine).

Then I tried it the easy way (as a second test), by simply disabling the ability for ships to enter the region. Then I just let it run. I swear I could hear the screams from the station.

[ 07-10-2002, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I swear I could hear the screams from the station.

Easter Egg? Kind of like the birds chirping when you drop the OTS?

[ 07-10-2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: LordDavid ]