Heres my noob question

This sounds like a video issue to me but im not sure. Well the problem is when I land in water. I don't really know how to explain it but, when my CC sinks to the bottom it still looks like its above water, that is, until I get the camra level with it then it looks submerged but otherwise it looks as if its sitting on top of the water even if its at the bottom. This happens in water of any depth.

[ 08-04-2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Viper2000 ]

first, why would you sink such a cool ship. i like when i got an mk3 it had little flashing lights and everything. the ship is slow and too big but the lights always make it my first choice. (it also looks cooler when gammulans blow it up.)

that also might be a video problem or the game does not have the water decal on top of the ship for some reason

Well its not just the CC its all of the things on the water like the Air Craft carriers and other boats. Even when I land a shuttle or FC in it, it does the same thing. One of the things that i've noticed is when im flying over the water it just doesnt look right I mean it looks like its not moving, its kinda following me on the ground. Still I can quiet explain it. Iv never tried it unpatched but I have tryed it with mutiple reinstalls and varios video settings ,but still I got the same result.

There's nothing wrong with those pics. Obviously the craft is not on the seabed. sheesh

Even then, you have the camera at a different angle and its not positioned at the ship.

The water levels are colored differently.

Your CC doesn't begin to sink immediately when it impacts water. This gives you enough time to get everyone out.

Lemme guess. It never did occur to you to check the depth of where you are or to exit the craft and check.

[ 08-05-2002, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

It is on the bottom and yes iv tested it in diffrent waters of diffrent depths and it still looks the same.Oh and yeah i have gone and checked in fp. Thats the only time that it looks like its underwater but when i surface it looks likes its surfaced too.

[ 08-05-2002, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Viper2000 ]

If the altitude is a negative number - which from the shots, it is - its definitely below the water.

In the pic you posted, the ship is definitely on the seabed. You are looking at it from under water, thats why there are two shades. If you tilted the camera, you will be able to see it as in my shot which you posted above.

In my shot above, the ship has not yet sunk to the bottom of the seabed. It is still floating and thats why it is partially submerged.

[ 08-05-2002, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

you know now that this topic comes up i sent my ship into the water because i thought it would float like that.

instead i ended up with a submerged ship and nothing else to do!

You obviously weren't paying attention. Read my post again. Then search the VCF for the word sink or float

[ 08-06-2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

In the first two pictures that are posted are taken from the same ship and same depth but the only diffrence is in the angle.

Pic2 looks to me like the water is deep enough toward where the ship in pic one should be darker or look like its covered in water.

I was testing it today and iv noticed that when I have the camrea tilted upward it looks as if the CC is a few feet above the water when in fact it is on the sea bed, but it works the other way around too the ship can be 100 ft above the water but when you angle the camra downward it looks like its under water.

All im doing is comparing my game to the screen shots ive seen and all I know is that my game does not look like that(proply because of my machine)and all I was looking for was to see if anybody else had this problem and had figured out a way to fix it or if it was normal and im just being stupid.

The pics look fine--I think that the reason you may be thrown off is because the ship doesn't cast a shadow on the ocean or seabed that would help you perceive its altitude relative to them. I don't recall objects ever casting shadows in that manner in BCM, so this may be something you just need to get used to.

[ 08-06-2002, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Sunanta ]

Am I the only one who is beginning to get annoyed with this nonsense?

Now, listen to me, CAREFULLY. Last chance.

Its like this :

IF the water depth is 600ft deep and the ship is 500ft high (at its highest point), it will be completely covered in water - IF - it resting on FLAT seabed.

But if the depth is only 450ft, then 50ft of the ship will be above water.

If the ship is floating and it has NOT yet sunk to the bottom of the seabed (there IS a delay - go read the VCF), then parts of it will be below the water level, while the other part will be above. Thats what floating means. m'kay?

If you don't know how to use the external camera, DON'T USE IT!!!

[ 08-07-2002, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Well i figured it out it is my video. For some reason when I tried it on my other computer it worked fine and the ship looked like it was submerged unlike on my other computer. Becasue I was having troble explaining it I can't expect you guys to understand what was going on so thanks for the help anyway.Oh and SC it wasnt right as I had thought the water was very deep becasue in fp it took me afew minutes to get to the surface but while i was under water nearing the surface i could see my CC way below me under the water and yes it looked like it was underwater, but when i surfaced all of the sudden it wasnt underwater anymore and was a couple of feet above the water. The same thing happend with aircraft carriers too, I whould tilt the camra down when in external view and it would look like the aircraft carriers underwater completly but when i tilt the camra up it looks like its like 10 feet above that water. Well anyway it doesnt matter iv fixed it i just can't run it on this machine anymore.

The last few lines of your post, support what I said in my previous post.

You don't know how the external camera works.

It does NOT prevent you from putting in weird angles. So, it is quite capable of going below the water, above the water, into the sky etc etc.

If you stop pissing around with it, you'll see that it works fine. It doesn't do any collision detect whatsoever, because it doesn't need to. You are seeing an illusion because the camera places your viewpoint *at* the target.

As to the submerged thing, dunno. If its your card drivers, fair enough. The water is alpha blended.

Yea the camrea works great now. I see what you where saying in your other posts, but I definitly notice a diffrence on the new comp and have uninstalled it from my other one. Thanks for the support and for making a cool game like this!

PS. Everything is good now so u can close this post if u want.