A few questions:

BMcCleud

Hello. First off I have to say I'm SO pleased to be here. I'm a long time BC fan. I still have the original CD, manual and box in my closet. I've been thoroughly enjoying BCM now for just over a week. I love it! I'm using the v1.0.07 version. There are so many games I have collecting dust because the developers spent x amount of time focusing on making a 'pretty' game and forgot to put any GUTS in there. BCM is just an amazing (as expected) simulation with more depth and things-to-do than any game in history. Once the highly anticipated gfx upgrades are complete it's a sure bet all other games of the genre will (should) finally bow and say uncle.

Them =

Us =

I've scoured the forums and every piece of information I can locate for over a week. I've discovered many answers. The following represent things I was simply unable to locate.

Q1: Can planet Starbases be captured and thus converted to race/caste? I spent some time pounding the defenses of a Starbase on Earth being very careful not to damage the SB in the process. After the defenses were smoking debris I proceeded to carefully rip apart the SB until it went into SOS mode. I docked but wasn't given the Capture message. It simply logged into it with a limited amount of menu options, none of which were SB specific including no Tradecom. Is it simply not possible to capture (take over) a Starbase like we can Starstations? Was looking forward to propagating my species on a few planets

Q2: I can not seem to figure out how to configure custom controls for FP mode. I see no interface for FP-specific config settings. I even tried altering the [FP] section of bcmconfig.ini but got strange results, such as a few (very few) of the key changes I made take affect but wind up combined internally with what ever the default action for the key was prior to editing, such as a combined strafe + popping up and down between prone stances. How do I change the FP keys? I've used the same 'general' config layout for every FPS game I own (staggering amount...) since DOOM and add additional according to what's available with what ever game. This method has proven time & time again to be perfect for me because I'm immediately comfortable with the controls and can focus on the task at hand instead of trying to use someone else's idea of what a KB+Mouse combo might be.

Q3: Dropping a little 'nuclear love' into rival bases makes a nice crater. Do totally obliterated bases rebuild themselves after such a holocaust like they would if simply destroyed by conventional means? What a nice touch it is to have the camera suddenly start panning the intended nuclear target complete with gentle music and birds singing. It almost makes me feel sad... almost

Q4: Does anyone have a link/shot of inflation rates? Seems like I ran across a thread discussing this as an addition in 8RC15(+/-). Any available for 1.0.07?

Thanks in advance and I'll try and post meaningful questions (and answers eventually) during my stay here at these monstrous boards.

Welcome!

Q1: No. Only in BCG

Q2: You can't anymore. You could at one point but I removed it because it caused too much aggravation and conflict with other keys.

Q3: No. Once you've unleashed RANDOM on a planet, its done.

Q4: The updated appendix in the 1.0.08 RC patches have it I think. Check the bases or stations page.

Thanks!

A to ->Q3: No. Once you've unleashed RANDOM on a planet, its done.

I've read about RANDOM on here and in the Artifacts under docs. Sounds like a serious way to end the day of an entire civilization. I was talking about OTS like a Bugnor meaning I (perhaps by mistake) currently think the OTS are nuclear weapons. Since the RANDOM is listed in the OTS category I was thinking the other OTS weapons were akin to versions of a nuclear warhead with varying yield depending on model. Are the normal OTS weapons conventional warheads or nuclear? If nuclear then will an obliterated base from a Bugnor rebuild or remain radioactive for a few hundred years?

Ok appreciate it. That's what I was after. Last question on this subject (probably ). Will destroying numerous large enemy military bases on planet X affect the power struggle on that planet in favor of my race/caste? Your AI seems to have some intense will-of-its-own so I'm curious if this kind of civilization-spreading/power-shifting on a per-planet basis is possible. From everything I've read so far locally and on this board it seems planets are built with specific regions and structures. Since all structures rebuild over time (unless a RANDOM is sitting there churning away) then my scenario doesn't look possible since a neighboring race can't move in to the recently renovated location and expand their planet-side presence. We all want to take over the universe. Just wondering if it's possible 1-planet at a time.

EDITED: BTW I installed 1008RC17. The Launch Bases page had just what the doctor ordered. Thanks. Also extremely pleased to be running in 1600x1200 finally!

[ 09-02-2002, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: Brutus McCleud ]

quote:

Posted by Grayfox

the RANDOM tends to have a "genesis" effect on a planet

genesis effect.What does a short bald guy

with an english accent suddenly appear and start singing

"take a look at me now, cause there's just an empty space and you RANDOMING my A@@ is chance I'll have to take"

cheers all

quote:

Originally posted by Buzz:

genesis effect.What does a short bald guy

with an english accent suddenly appear and start singing

"take a look at me now, cause there's just an empty space and you RANDOMING my A@@ is chance I'll have to take"

cheers all

LOL