Comms and some surface combat questions

Hello everybody!

I'm fascinated with this game, and I'm trying to learn all trying and trying, reading and reading and so... But now, after trying a lot , I have some questions

- Can I capture starbases? If I can, HOW? I tried turning it in SOS (very difficult to maintain )and then docking with my CC: error. Ok, I've tried docking with a shuttle, but then appears the menu for that starbase but when I logout, the base continues being TER/INS (I┬┤m TER/MIL)

- Sometimes I'm driving my own OC (an ATV) shooting everything and enjoying , when suddenly the main gun starts discharging until DON'T SHOOTS! . Does anybody know why?

- What is the utility of the 'C' key (open a comms channel)?. It appears I can communicate with nobody in the galaxy

I don't want to be boring, so if there's anything in the manual or the appendix or the VCF (I'm running version 1.00.08RC17) that I've missed please tell me to read it immediately! Thanks a lot to everybody

P.D. Is my english good enough?

[ 10-07-2002, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: SR-71 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lightning Bolt Man:

quote:

- Sometimes I'm driving my own OC (an ATV) shooting everything and enjoying , when suddenly the main gun starts discharging until DON'T SHOOTS! . Does anybody know why?

Were you shot at all, maybe you guns have been damaged?

Thanks for answering. No my main gun wasn't damaged, so...

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

- No starbase capture. In upcoming games I think you will be able.

- I'm not sure I understand the ATV thing

- The C key will be for MP only.

P.S it's post-scriptum - not P.D (whatever you thought it meant), so it's good, but you need to practice more

Thanks for answering. The thing about ATV is that I was shooting to a building. Suddenly, the main gun recharge indicator turned in 99, and the gun doesn't shoot. Then went slowly down to 98, 97, 96, and so... and the gun never will shoot again. It's no sense, because it wasn't damaged (status 100% ALL systems). The ATV only continued firing the APM Radix, but not the gun. So, I had to return to my CC and take other ATV

P.S. I try to practice everyday. Thank you.

[ 10-07-2002, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: SR-71 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Its definitely damaged. Thats only reason why it won't fire.

Apart from the fact that it won't fire if its not charged.

Thanks for your answer. No, it WAS NOT damaged. As you say it didn't fire because was not charged. The question is WHY it discharges slowly (and didn't EVER recharges)? And if it would be damaged, WHY it shows 100% operational at logistix? It happened to me two or three times on the same day, and in different situations and different ATVs, but always when I was nearly to destroy a damned insurgent starbase...

Didn't happened to anybody really?

quote:

Originally posted by TheBunny:

maybe you accidentally turned it off

i do that alot. thats why i dont fight too much.

Thanks for your answer. No, it was turned on. I was firing until the last shoot never was done. The main gun recharge indicated 98, afterwards 98, a moment after 97, two seconds after 96, and so... That's the problem, the gun doesn't recharges: DISCHARGES no sense

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Can you make exact steps on how to reproduce it? Maybe you found a very odd bug ...

Well, I'll try. Those are the steps. Take notes, please:

1- Go to planet Earth and find the TER/INS STARBASE 02 (second time) or pehaps the earth zone 120 , also TER/INS anyway (first time, I think)

2- Move your alter ego to an ATV and load it into a shuttle

3- Select waypoints near the rebel starbase to land the ATV and launch

4- When landed and commanding the ATV, destroy all defenses, launching some missiles and using the main gun A LOT

5- When you have launched ALL or NEARLY ALL your APM Radix, it's possible you have a NO WEAPONS message on your HUD, and the strange bug will happen probably! This happened to me three times, after restoring the game again too.

6- If you don't fire any missile (the second time I did it), the bug perhaps will happen later. When I had lots of buildings disabled, other destroyed, and I was firing to the starbase, the bug started again.

7- It doesn't matter if you restore the game, the bug happened to me after restoring.

I believe those are the exact steps. Thanks again and good luck on investigating it

Greetings

[ 10-08-2002, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: SR-71 ]

Please stop refering to something as a bug until it has been confirmed as such.

Anyway, it works fine here. I tried both 1.0.07 and 1.0.08 RC20.

There is NO correlation between having no missiles and the gun's firing.

Quite simply, you're not waiting for it to charge.

quote:

Anyway, it works
fine
here. I tried both 1.0.07 and 1.0.08 RC20.

Thanks for answering me.

O.k., O.k... It isn't a bug. But if the gun doesn't recharge (really STARTS DISCHARGING VERY SLOWLY without firing) what happens then? Must I wait until reaches 0 (estimated 15 minutes) to start recharging (?) and then I would fire again ONE shot?

I don't know if it's or it isn't a bug. I'm only reporting something that happened to me two days ago. I told you because it's rare, and perhaps there must be an explanation, or perhaps it's useful to other players or yourself. If not, no problem, I will NEVER NEVER refer to it again. But remember that IT HAPPENED , it is not my imagination! I have a witness, I wasn't playing alone, so...

Thank you very much again

[ 10-08-2002, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: SR-71 ]

quote:

Originally posted by SR-71:

If not, no problem, I will NEVER NEVER refer to it again. But remember that
IT HAPPENED
, it is not my imagination! I have a witness, I wasn't playing alone, so...

OK, lemme see, which part of Anyway, it works fine here. I tried both 1.0.07 and 1.0.08 RC20 threw you off?

1. I tried it
  2. It works as it should
  3. I didn't experience anything you pointed out above

Now, if you can get someone else to reproduce it, fine. If not, this is not an issue I'm going to waste time on.

[ 10-08-2002, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

OK, lemme see, which part of
Anyway, it works fine here. I tried both 1.0.07 and 1.0.08 RC20
threw you off?

1. I tried it

2. It works as it should

3. I didn't experience
    anything
    you pointed out above

Now, if you can get someone else to reproduce it, fine. If not, this is not an issue I'm going to waste time on.

O.k. then, forget it. This week when I have time to play I'll try to repeat it and to study more carefully. You're anything but soft but I understand you, no problem

Greetings and thanks to everybody here.

One of two things could be causing this.

[*]The main gun has been severely damaged, so that it won't fire anymore. However, in this case, I believe the power indicator would go to zero immediately.

[*]The main gun isn't recieving power. This could be because your reactor is damaged, or you inadvertantly turned it off. In either case, I think the power meter would slowly wane to zero, rather than jump there instantly. Try clicking on the gun icon on your hud, as this will allow you do turn it on if you did indeed switch it off at one point. Also, make sure your vehicle is indeed undamaged. Bring it back aboard your CC and check it from there, since the computer may display your damage incorrectly if it has been damaged.

quote:

Apart from the fact that it won't fire
if its not charged

The significant point of this quote is the last few highlighted words.

Why is it not charged?

Because the ATV has run out of charge

To reproduce

SNG

TER/MIL/COM

EARTH/GENESIS

VIOLIN

(this will work with any asset any career no asset has infinite power)

Launch from Starstation

Send AE to a shuttle

Launch Shuttle

Set way points etc to planet Earth once landed set HALT.

Deploy ATV

Exit Shuttle

Enter ATV

Fire gun of said Vehicle for around 50 - 60 minutes your mileage may vary.

(I just put a rubberband round the joystick fire button)

Your reactor runs out of power NO GUN NO ENGINE.

Gun charge meter in SSD falls to zero.

Now in debug mode you can dock with the shuttle.

Then return to your CC and check the ATV status charge = 0.

If you cant be bothered to do this like any good BluePeter presenter here's one I prepared earlier.

These saved games where prepared on 1.0.0.8 RC18.

This is not a bug its how it works if you don't put petrol in your car it stops, if you don't fill the CC with radine it stops (well sort of).

Edit changed my home page name now im at web page

[ 10-18-2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Pugwash ]

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

Ah, I didn't even think of that. I thought only FCs needed to be charged in that manner. It seems I was wrong.

Unlike the CC which requires Radine for reactor operation (and thus the engines), the FC/IC/OC all use a solid state battery (Dear God, forgive me for that particular piece of sci-fi blasphemy) which will eventually run out of charge. Everything - and I mean everything (guns, reactor, engine etc etc) all run off the battery.

The reason you have never run out of power while flying a support craft, is because I set the battery charge pretty high. Eventually it will run out.

THANK YOU, PUGWASH!!!

You have showed I wasn't dreaming and I wasn't drunk when I saw that and posted my question!

SC, how you din't think about it before...??

I have another question then. Well, if the ATV needs to recharge, how to do it? Simply leaving it some time on the CC?

Thanks to everybody (especially to Pugwash, of course)

quote:

Originally posted by SR-71:

SC, how you din't think about it before...??

Since you're not drunk, you must brain dead. Which part of this post I made above, was unclear? I even mention the same thing further down.

quote:

Anyway, it works
fine
here. I tried both 1.0.07 and 1.0.08 RC20.

quote:

I have another question then. Well, if the ATV needs to recharge, how to do it? Simply leaving it some time on the CC?

Here we go again. Read the manual. Its in there - exactly where it should be.

[ 10-17-2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]