Cruiser or Carrier?

d8alus

At the end of the day it's up to you. All ships have their strong and weak points. You just have to find one that suits the way you play.

I enjoy combat so fly a carrier.

The best thing to do is check the appendix and look at the stats of all the ships and see which one weighs out in your favour.

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

At the end of the day it's up to you. All ships have their strong and weak points. You just have to find one that suits the way you play.

I enjoy combat so fly a carrier.

The best thing to do is check the appendix and look at the stats of all the ships and see which one weighs out in your favour.

XD

I enjoy combat, so I fly a cruiser. Bet you've never seen a Warmonger try to pull some dogfighting moves, have you?

rant

I'd say go carrier- they're quite a bit more versatile, albeit slower. Sure, 1 on 1, most cruisers can kill carriers, but that's what fighters are for. Fighters also let you reach out and crush something, while cruisers have to go there, wasting fuel (can be critical early on) to annoy something.

Carriers do require more cash to operate, but they generally have more cargo space then cruisers, and they have a _USEFUL_ cloaking device. Pair it with a PAD, and you can take about anything out.

While I'm ranting, I might as well mention that intruders can cause a LOT of trouble on cruisers, since they only have 5 or 10 marines, compared to the 20 or 40 on carriers.

All in all, it's basically speed & manuverability vs versatility.

/rant

Guest Grayfox

hmmm good question... i like both.

i am partial to warmongers because of the turret capabilities, and the fact that it can run circles around a carrier and whittle it down.

on the other hand i also like the carrier due to the fighter compliment, the upgrade capability (RANDOM most of all), and the large number of jarheads aboard.

its kinda like the frosted mini wheat question... which side do you like better.

i guess if it really came down to it, id go with carrier because of all the assets available. but that doesnt mean you should write off a cruiser... especially one in capable hands.

I'm begining to dislike this game...and here's the reason:

Whenever I play a game that allows so many choices, i.e. BCM, NWN, Daggerfall..etc. I can't make up my mind on what I want to do so I end up constantly restarting to try something new..then I get tired of doing the same areas over and over and never attaining any powerbase so I quit playing. Then a month or two later; wash, rinse, repeat...

C'est la vie!

Okay, so let's pro-con this:

Carrier:

1. Fighter compliment

2. more marines

3. artifact capability

4. slow speed

5. high HS transit

6. cloak

7. low maneuverability

8. more engineers

Cruiser:

1. no fighter compliment

2. few marines

3. no artifacts (?)

4. high speed

5. shorter HS transit

6. no cloak

7. high maneuverability

8. few engineers

Have I missed anything? You know I'm more of a fighter pilot than a commander..however I don't like giving up the artifact capabilities. Ugh, these critical decisions! Of course, my fighter compliments usually get dusted; and I'm basically untouchable in a cruiser thanks to my mad DF skillz! Sigh, I'm back where I started...let's look at it this way: Han Solo or Admiral Akbar?

quote:

Originally posted by Kiran:

I'm begining to dislike this game...and here's the reason:

Whenever I play a game that allows so many choices, i.e. BCM, NWN, Daggerfall..etc. I can't make up my mind on what I want to do so I end up constantly restarting to try something new..then I get tired of doing the same areas over and over and never attaining any powerbase so I quit playing. Then a month or two later; wash, rinse, repeat...

C'est la vie!

LOL!! Thats how they get you, isn't it?

Pah! And you think BCM is good. Just wait for BCG

you forgot that cruisers usually have kickass PTA defense systems. I once flew a BC mk2 vs a icm2. 5 minutes later the ic was still alive. On the other side, I would not have main guns on the sunflash could still kick some serious asses. Cruisers are ASSAULT vessels, bc carriers are half-support, half-assault.

When you require versatility, use a carrier. When you just want your opponents away, use a cruiser.

BTW - in a cruiser, retreat is an option. Clever management of your marines will keep them alive, and their ai will eventually improve, at a point which they kill better. In a carrier you can just send the whole platoon at a all-you-can-shoot buffet

i like the carrie rbecause it can cloak and attack the enemy when they least expect it.

if i where to assault a starstation i would cloak and jump to the starstation. i would then uncloak and unload basically all my missiles at it. and since my ngithstar is a tough ship he can make it through the explosion and send out his fighters when he needs to get out quick and ships are right behind him.

What I really need is a hybrid. A cruiser that can use artifacts. Screw cloaking I want the enemy to see me coming, gives them more time to wet themselves!

:side note: Do higher lvl shields prevent intrusions?

quote:

What I really need is a hybrid. A cruiser that can use artifacts. Screw cloaking I want the enemy to see me coming, gives them more time to wet themselves!

Actually, save from long hyperdrive times, the Megaron and the Nightstar are pretty good at it. They have superior amounts of PTA defense turrets as an heavy carrier, and very good shielding.

quote:

No, but I bet if you give a clown look to Resnig it'll scare them away, but it might scare your own crew aswell

quote:

Originally posted by Kiran:

I am even newer than Kiran! Picked up BCM two weeks ago. Lost the key, couldn't register for the forums... Solution? Bought another copy of BCM.

Anyway, I, too, am wondering how to minimize my intruder problems. It is not quite clear to me where all these nasty people are even coming from.

Rorshach

And I suppose u feel much safer in your comfy carrier now that your back in Orion? When u were an indie I would've looked the other way but now your back as a target for destruction. Oh well, maybe I can get a nice fat bounty on your head yet.

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

And I suppose u feel much safer in your comfy carrier now that your back in Orion? When u were an indie I would've looked the other way but now your back as a target for destruction. Oh well, maybe I can get a nice fat bounty on your head yet.

Actually, the GCV-Stalker is waiting for my command in the Orion station docking bays, a sunflash heavy cruiser (currently being repainted and re-tagged, while the crew cleans and fix the small stuff that have been neglected due to a lack of funds .. gotta love Galcom's bottomless pockets )

However my point still stands. if you are a merc, you have no choice but to like cruisers, since you can't fly carriers.

quote:

quote:

If you have a Cruiser, you Fight or DIE!!(there's no running away!!)

Cruisers all the way, 'nuff said.

Indeed. I'd rather have speed than firepower, for real. Firepower is nothing if your enemy can outrun you easily, in my opinion.

[ 11-21-2002, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

quote:

quote:

If you have a Cruiser, you Fight or DIE!!(there's no running away!!)

Cruisers all the way, 'nuff said.

Indeed. I'd rather have speed than firepower, for real. Firepower is nothing if your enemy can outrun you easily, in my opinion.
Faster movement just means you fly into my carriers PTA and PAD barrage quicker and therefore DIE quicker