Is there any reason to attack planetary assets?

Romale

Is there any actual reason to attack planetary assets? i mean they just rebuild, and the game isn't effected by you destroying them? clearly if i destroyed all the insurgent bases on earth all there support craft etc. it would have impact in there influence in region? is there any reason to play roam mode other then to just randomly blow people up? if i attack an insurgent planet destroy everything galcom doesn't exactly take area over. im sorry but im just having a very hard time seeing any objectives in roam mode seeing as how one side can't actualy beat the other, the only thing i seem to have ability to do is to effect security of trade routs which effects game but i dont know i just dont seem to see npcs actualy trying to goto war with each other they just randomly tasking crafts out and dont actualy try to effect regions of space by gaining control of them? will that ever be in any of the bc games? i know im sorry for *****ing i just want to either win or lose, not just roam around for ever. i dont even care if i ahve 1% effect on who wins or loses but i want someone to win and someone to lose damnit. i sorry i just used to having things i do effect something even force protection just to free up assets. ohh clearly dont shoot me i know would probably be impossible to code? i just want to see someones responce on issue cuz i really am confused as hell why roam is there cuz its just like instant action:p on bright side i do like acm missions and i been playing bc3k for a long time, just got millenium

Please use sensible thread subjects in the future. I have edited yours just this once.

[ 11-26-2002, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I agree as far as the planet side aspect goes. But then, we'll all get to do that in BCG, so no worry.

In roam, my objectives is just to beef up my ship, gain enough EP to get fleet C&C, then go seige some stations and generally wreak havoc.

Also, read the text that goes with the roam scenario, it tells you what its there for. It lets you do whatever you want to do.. that's it that's all.

We just have to wait for GBSII to come out, and then we can get more scenarios going.

I like Roam. But It'll be alot more fun when BCG comes out... looks at clock... hmmm... better keep busy until then

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Romale:

i sorry i just used to having things i do effect something even force protection just to free up assets.

Once you actually get to play the game - I do mean play it - learn all its features, the galaxy politics etc, you'll figure out what your role is and how you can affect things in world.

The game was never designed in a way that revolves around any gamer's pitiful attempts at changing the course of history. There are lot of things that you can do and which affect the world - you just have to figure them out on your own.

Have you ever even captured a station? Sieged a station? Wiped out every threat asset in an mzone? etc etc?

quote:

Originally posted by Romale:

i know im sorry for *****ing i just want to either win or lose, not just roam around for ever.

Please use sensible thread subjects in the future. I have edited yours just this once.

I decided to keep SC's edit in... or else he'll be mad at me maybe

For one you can't WIN in a roam.. nor can you WIN in a ACM... You can LOSE in a roam and you can LOSE in a ACM.

Losing by dieing

ROAM is just to have fun and discover what stuff do. For example I play roam with a carrier, the GCV-Soveriegn and I go around destroying things and... discovering what will happen if I destroy a GALcom asset... and running from the law thats part of ROAM..

Again there is no way you can win in ROAM or ACM only retire *grow old.. its explained in the manual*

Guest Remo Williams

Roam is one of the hottest aspects of the game! Anyone can play a scripted mission and either accomplishes the objective or fail then its over. IMO that's no fun at all. In roam your only limited by your own imagination.

Try to stay alive for a month or longer in actual game time. All the while laying waste to mzones and capturing stations until you control and entire system. Now that's an accomplishment!

You can keep your prefabed limited missions. I'll stick were the real challenges are, Roam mode!

I agree. BCM is a game you enjoy and can play forever. I played one of the ACM's once but never again. I enjoy ROAM too much.

The thing to do is to give yourself assignments to complete. That's what I do, if I see a Gammulan I follow it half way across the galaxy if I have to just to destroy it and collect it's cargo. Give myself leave and head down to a new planet to enjoy the vista in me shuttle craft. Jump into a fighter craft and attack a starstation for fun. God there's so much to do!

i like to do that too. I won a battle (yep its possible) so i had a big party on an island in the bahamas. Resnig was annoying and wouldent dance (run in circles) so i sent him up to the CC in orbit. So we had our party and ran around then we had a great fireworks show. Stupid Resnig messing with systems again. The CC blew up and we all starved. THE END

Have you ever tried to fly around on Jupiter? It's good fun and the lightning effects are good. If you survive and leave the planet though you'll have some major repairs to do

I sometimes use resnig to fly a shuttle to collect cargo pods while there's still a big battle going on. The only thing is, he sometimes survives!

On November 25th of last year (my b-day) was when I got BCM in the mail. To this day I still play it and I still feel like I have only scratched the surface of what's going on in this game. Just play it and get into it, and you'll know what I'm talking about

Don't forget about certain alien probes certain nearly inaccesable planets.... oh.. did I say that?

The best part of roam for me was when I was minding my own business and a Gammulan attack force decided ISS was dirtying the skies of Saturn. Twas much fun watching the fireworkds.

[ 11-27-2002, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: CedricB ]