Two questions about BCM.

v01i0

Hello all,

First of all I have to apologize that I post this thread in here, but I know no other place to seek help.

I've looked and searched about the forums for few answers I desperately seek, but I am unable to find answers I seek.

I am pretty new to the bc-series in general, somehow I managed to miss this awesome game for many years.. But now I've found it and I'd like to give it a try.

Anyway, there are few things prevents me really immersing in game, it's the instability. I know it is old game and not supported anymore, and thats basically the reason I gotta ask help here in general chatters section, and I probably will get booted by doing so. I know there are few gurus about here who have been with the game pretty long and have huge knowledge about it..

..if anyone bothers to help me with my problems, I'd be delighted.

Problem #1:

After playing Battlecruiser Millenium for sometime it crashes. It's not happening frequently, but more like randomly. Sometimes I can play few hours before crash, sometimes it happens pretty quick. Here is what happens: The game freezes for about 10 seconds, then starts running again for another about 10 seconds and then it freezes again and after few seconds of freeze it crashes to desktop without any error messages. Anyone know workaround for this or know what it is about?

Problem #2:

Although game keeps crashing constantly, I've found it such a fine game that I persistently kept playing it and I've managed to establish a career and done some mining, fighting and trading.. Anyway, once an intruder fled into one of my fighter crafts(FC) and FC became unavailable. My marines killed the intruder, and FC didnt took any damage(at least it doesent show on damage reports), but still its unavailabe. FC's status is ready, and it surely has pilots in it. What seems to be the problem?

My system specs are:

WinXP SP 2

AMD SEMPRON(1,8ghz)

GF 5200FX 128MT(I think, but GF 5000+ serie anyway)

Onboard audio(C-Media AC97)

512 DDR RAM

Standard optical mouse, Wireless keyboard

CD, DVD

All my drivers should be pretty much up-to-date.

Thanks to anyone willing to help.

-v

PS. Is UCWA or older UC's playable with my specs? I don't dare to buy and try unless I know for sure the game runs smoothly..

Normally for tech help @ 3000ad, they require a proper sig, but seeing as how you're playing a free release game, I don't think it's necessary.

I remember having this exact same problem with BCM many moons ago, but I can't remember what I did that fixed it. What I can tell you is that I used this site's search function to find the solution that eventually worked. Hope that gets you started.

I've done quite a lot of searching here in forums for last couple of days and I've found no answer yet. Thats why I thought of posting this topic anyway. I'm still hoping someone can recall the trick to make bcm stable.

And about that system profile, I think I need serial number for that, and as a freeware bcm user, I don't have one. Although I wrote up my system specs in first post, check it out if needed.

Cheers, thanks for answering. Hopefully I find the answer soon.

-v

PS(again). I've noted that windows paging file grows steadily every time I open tactical computer menu in-game. It seems almost like bcm version that I have has a memory leak. This can be noted in windowed mode, I dunno about full screen mode, because I can't look at task manager in full screen. In full screen mode game just hangs and quits like I've descriped in the 1st post.

I don't know. Perhaps because it was originally moved from where I posted first

Obviously I posted it in wrong place in the first place.

Pardon my ignorance, but it can be confusing to determine where I should post because I'm not familiar with particular forums.

Hopefully my post can stay here tho, it is hard to keep moving all the time.

It was my fault. I moved it there from the General Discussion forum. I didn't noticed we were talking about the free version and that it would have been bettere here.

Apologies to all.

quote:

I remember having this exact same problem with BCM many moons ago, but I can't remember what I did that fixed it. What I can tell you is that I used this site's search function to find the solution that eventually worked. Hope that gets you started.

Been searching the solution within the forums for many days now; to no avail. Perhaps I just need to accept the fact that the game is gonna crash eventually. Hopefully I'll get UCG(assuming my pc will run it) as a christmas present and I can finally sign in for customer support.

Good thing is that I've found a way to control the crashing. I run BCM windows moded in my primary monitor and have windows task manager open in secondary. From task manager I can see when paging file reaches critical size and I'm able to save and quit before game crashes.

There is slight problem with windowed mode tho. When on planet, every time I access Tactical menu(and after I close it) all planet graphics are gone. A pitch black screen is only thing to be seen. I need either quit the game, or fly blinded back to space before I can have graphics back.

-v

quote:

Originally posted by Voli0:

Problem #2:

Although game keeps crashing constantly, I've found it such a fine game that I persistently kept playing it and I've managed to establish a career and done some mining, fighting and trading.. Anyway, once an intruder fled into one of my fighter crafts(FC) and FC became unavailable. My marines killed the intruder, and FC didnt took any damage(at least it doesent show on damage reports), but still its unavailabe. FC's status is ready, and it surely has pilots in it. What seems to be the problem?

Are you sure that the intruders didn't kill your pilots and steal your FC?

Check the logistix-screen to see if you still have your FC and medical to see if any pilots needs cloning.

Thats the only thing I can think of at the moment

quote:

Are you sure that the intruders didn't kill your pilots and steal your FC?

Check the logistix-screen to see if you still have your FC and medical to see if any pilots needs cloning.

Yea, I'm sure they didn't, thats why it was so strange that I had to ask about it here in forums. It was like the corpse of the intruder were preventing FC to take off. I had healthy pilots inside the FC and it's systems were fully functional.

Strangely enough, the FC became operational later by itself. I took definately no action to cause it to work properly again.

It was charge at the moment you issued the launch command?

As you may know fighters have to be recharged and refitted when they dock after a sortie. You may notice a yello square instead of the green one when they are rechargin.

It's all in the manual.

quote:

It was charge at the moment you issued the launch command?

As you may know fighters have to be recharged and refitted when they dock after a sortie. You may notice a yello square instead of the green one when they are rechargin.

It's all in the manual.

Aye, it was charged. The FC square on bridgeview were dark green even if it would have no pilot inside it. But it had, I am pretty much 99% certain. If it occurs again I will post more detailed information.

It was really strange problem, but it seems to be fixed automaticly. Perhaps my medics moved the dead intruder out of cockpit.

Or just the pilot needed a couple of minutes to drag a fully armed and armoured intruder corpse from his seat.

In fact dark green box means craft ready but unmanned. Light green means manned.

Did by any chance was your pilot in the fighter bay and not in FC* (* stand for number)?

That will explain the problem.

quote:

Or just the pilot needed a couple of minutes to drag a fully armed and armoured intruder corpse from his seat. [big Grin]

In fact dark green box means craft ready but unmanned. Light green means manned.

Did by any chance was your pilot in the fighter bay and not in FC* (* stand for number)?

That will explain the problem.

Nope, perscan said that they were in FC3 (which was that troublesome craft).. Both pilots were there, so it certainly seems they had drag the corpse out of the seat!!

BCM gets A+ from realism,