Gamma Wing News

Badgerius

Guest Remo Williams

Thomas I was just looking at the command structure that was attached to the link you provided and did not see myself listed. I was wondering if this was an oversite or if I had recieved the boot from Prime Fleet. If this is not the structure that you just submited and I am on the list I,m sorry for wasteing your time with this post.

------------------

Commander Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing, 1st Squadron

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've talked to Thomas, and 1st squadron, under the acting command of Cmdr. Jansen, is still a part of Gamma Wing.

Cmdr. Williams, rest assured that you're still a part of 1st squadron.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S36 Commander, Gamma Wing

[This message has been edited by Badgerius (edited 03-06-2000).]

Cmdr. Williams,

yes, you are part of the 1st squadron in Gamma Wing. The fleet structure represents an old state, just before your reporting in. Also, the 1st squadron is not yet reassingned to Gamma Wing. This will be done in a few days...

Regards.

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Joe Gudihl

GCV-Dark Star

Prime Fleet

"Remember, we are trained professionals... Don't try this at home!"

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Well, I never expected to actually make myself get to be a squadron leader. As I don't really know what it entails yet. But I guess it's time for me to learn what it means 'to lead'. Even a MP-newby has to go beyond the call of duty, I guess. So, whatever is expected of me, I intend to do it by the best of my abilities. And I still have time enough to learn this thing. Before BCM comes out.

As for our MP practice events. I'm am only able to attend them during the weekends, except for sunday late afternoon and evenings. But I need to get those demos first on friday night next weekend. No need to set a date right now.

------------------

Cmdr. Rico 'V_ger' Jansen

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 16 Commander, 1st Squadron

"... to boldly show, where no one has gone before"

Guest Remo Williams

Thank you Commanders for getting me up to speed on the Command structure. I was wondering what I had missed for a minute there.

Congratulation Rico on your promotion I'm sure you will fill the position just fine.

------------------

Commander Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing, 1st Squadron

Cmdr. Scharmen, welcome aboard. Please change your Sig to reflect your new position.

Well, Gentlemen, we have one full squadron, and the minimum Command Staff. As of this point, Gamma Wing is ACTIVE! smile.gifsmile.gif

Cmdr. Jansen, talk it over with your troops, and have a squadron name submitted here by midnight GMT on the 21 of March. By squadron name, I'm thinking something short and snappy, like "The Roughnecks" or "The Slammers," etc. It will be added in brackets in your sig. For Example:

Gamma Wing, 16 Commander, 1st Squadron (The Diamondbacks).

Finally, the discussion topic for this week's chat is: "Should squadrons stay together on patrol, or keep separate?"

PS, I've changed the positions available at beginning of this thread.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Agreed, or put the squadron name on a separate line. We should make a decision on that, so that all sigs look the same.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Shortening? I don't see much of a gain in that. Just 6 characters less. And shortening it to what Thomas wrote down, makes my job look like any other's. Being a "Cmdr.". I'm not trying to put myself above others. But part of a good functioning structure or organisation is knowing "who's what?". Atleast, so I think. So, I suggest the following to make it clearer and shortening it up. (left-right wise)

for my case:

Gamma fleet, 16 Leader

1st Squadron, "squadron name"

(Or the name in round brackets)

squadron members:

Gamma fleet

1st Squadron, "squadron name"

(Or the name in round brackets)

I suggest changing to leader for that's what my job is in essence. But this is only so in 'leemans terms' now. (I hope I put that correct there smile.gif) It's not an official job title. (officially on the structure pic)

But maybe this is something for the big prime fleet structure discusison. I don't want to go off-topic and off-thread.

But/And/So, if you say "it's not open to discussion" then i'll shut up and just be a Commander/Cmdr. from now on.

------------------

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 16 Commander , 1st Squadron

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 03-08-2000).]

I like the formatting. My preference would be to have "Squadron Commander" instead of Leader.

This really isn't my call, though. Thomas, what do you think?

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Right, Squadron Commander it is.

Sigs will be formatted as follows, once a squadron name is chosen:

Gamma Wing, 16 Squadron Commander

1st Squadron, (Squadron Name)

The 16 remains optional.

for squadron members:

Gamma Wing,

1st Squadron, (Squadron Name)

Questions?

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

I can live with that. 'Squadron Commander' it is then.

A question about the 16 number. Am I supposed to 'number' my members too this way? In the structure proposal of Thomas only 16 was stated. Nothing about numbers of members. Like 15 for my wingman. Or the commander that is suppost to protect the command BC. (second in command) And 11,12,13,14 for the rest.

Also, I consider it not neccessary to make the assignment I give to the members of the 1st public. (but I haven't given them one either yet) Meaning, whoever is on flank- or recon- or front-duty is of no (real) concern to the outside world except for the tactical officers higher up our command structure. (when we are on a mission) But this is also something to discuss at the chat next weekend. I think

Am I correct on this point? It just from common sense. I have no (real) military service experience in anyway. Is that something that is supposed to be visible (in sig maybe) here too?

I'll get on the squadron name ASAP.

------------------

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 03-09-2000).]

Rico,

you are not supposed to number your members. Those numbers represent Staff Officers, and there is no squadron staff, except the Commander, who is always number six.

Also, your members do not need to state their assignment (rear, flank, ...) in their sig, because those assignments do change "on the fly" in real combat. (Note: we will have the Roger Wilco speach tool included in BC:M, so you will be able to tell them what to do.)

Regards.

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Joe Gudihl

GCV-Dark Star

Prime Fleet

"Remember, we are trained professionals... Don't try this at home!"

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Same thoughts here. Thanks for clearing that up.

------------------

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back.

I apologize for my absence; it's been one hell of a week.

News: The chat on March 11 went extremely well. If there was a chat today (18th) could someone send me a quick note on what was said? (omitting the bad-mouthing of your wing commander, of course wink.gif )

Cmdr Williams has brought up the idea of a bi-weekly newsletter to keep people up to date. I like the idea, and would like some discussion on the matter. Should it be E-mail? Web-based? I can do either. Does anyone want the job? What should it include? Post your comments here.

While playing FreeSpace 2, I noted a squadron name style that I rather liked. Which would you prefer as a style?

1st Squadron (the Black Death)

or

The 1st "Black Death" Squadron

Finally, there are several commanders who have not yet reported in. They are officially listed as members of 1st squadron. They are:

Cmdr Paul Slade, GCV-Defender

Cmdr Jason 'Papi' Cloud, GCV-Silver Lining

Cmdr Hugo Pinheiro, GCV-Ajax

These commanders are hereby transferred to 2nd Squadron (Inactive). They will be listed as RESERVE members of Gamma Wing until such time as they report in. I know you're out there, Cmdrs! Report in!!

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Good Morning Commanders,sorry I couldn't make the meeting last night...had to unexpectedly work (late shift). How was the turn-out CMDR Williams? You weren't there by yourself were you?

CMDR Badgerius, I can fill you in on the meeting previous to last night's, if CMDR Williams hasn't already done so...

As for as wing integrity,we're kind of fond of going with 2-ship elements..but mission would clearly dictate our exact mission porfiles. Considering that there's only one entrance into our assigned region, we'll probably be tasked by Fleet Cmd to help in defense of Earth...keping in mind that Genesis has it's own compliment of 48 combat vessels. But now I got a question for ya..are trade routes and defence of these trade routes going to be a factor in BCM? I'm trying to figure out how supply status of the space stations will affect the campaign. For instance...can a blockade be established against a station or can trade agreements be made between nations? These questions may have already been addressed, but I couldn't find them and besides, I've been with BC3K ever since v1.0 but considering my amount of posts...I'm in danger of being a newbie for life! Btw, like the idea of the bi-weekly news letter. Just have to figure out the appropriate topics to include. I could go with E-mail or web, which is easier(faster)?

------------------

Commander Scharmen

GCV-Ironclad

Prime Fleet

Staff Chief, Gamma Wing

Well, don't worry. I vaguely recall that this chat thing was a bi-weekly thing too. Atleast, so it dawned on me when I got into AW Galcom on the 18th. Totally empty. So I started doing some decorating in my place at the Village ... But I'm still not totally filled in about last week's chat. I guess I need to find that out first. Before I talk about something else. So that brings me to that newsletter idea.

Yeah, good idea. Badgerius, I allready emailed you some days ago. Now I know why you didn't reply. No problem. It was kind of a bad email anyway. I basically asked if you knew about people that attended and had a log (or minutes smile.gif of the session. Because I could not attend. But appearantly you don't have it either. So, anybody that reads this and has something. Please do us all a favor. If you can't, I'll be happy to distribute the log to all other members and our Wing Commander.

As for the newsletter, make it a webbased thing for me. Online email box is kinda stuffed. I need to empty it soon, I know.

I don't know if I'm supposed to offically report myself active again. Well, in any case, I hereby do. I'm back wink.gif

>Squadron name:

>1st Squadron (the Black Death)

Sounds good to me.

>The 1st "Black Death" Squadron

Aren't we getting into somekind of Galatea/Galatae-thing. I mean a "who's first" issue. Well, maybe not. We have pretty strict rules about formation expansion of fleets and creation of official squadrons is governened from above. (Fleet/Wing staff) So, it's probably no problem. Just to me it sounds like there could be a 1st Black Death, a 2nd Black Death, a 3rd ... and so on. So I like the first.

BTW, any other names that people might like for our squadron. People speak up.

(note to self: do the same, start crunching mind for names)

>2-ship elements...

But would that be 2 ships per jump-point or 2 ships per reqion. I know Moon region has just one jumppoint. But I know we can't have every one of this squadron in there. Well, we can, but it'd be a little crowdy.

>keping in mind that Genesis has it's own

>compliment of 48 combat vessels. ...

Yeah, and I do not consider Genesis of very high strategic importance. And it's hiding out very well behind that jump-point bottleneck. Anything that does come through there shouldn't be much of a problem. Ofcourse there are cloaked ships comming thru. But we'll just have to raise the curtain for them. wink.gif

But i'm not the one to think of strategic issues. I'm way down the comand chain to think about that. Anyway, Badgerius, keep this in mind.

>are trade routes and defence of these trade

>routes going to be a factor in BCM?...

Good point. I once asked.. well, it was more like stating hypothesis' and the SC confirming them. I don't really knew when or what thread that was. But it was something in the Delevopment forum I think. But way back.

>I'm trying to figure out how supply status

>of the space stations will affect the

>campaign. For instance...can a blockade be

>established against a station or can trade

>agreements be made between nations?

Well, that was part of it. SC said we could siege a station. Somehow. I'm not really sure how anymore. But the station would use up it's resourses time after time when no ship would dock. So, if we cut off Sygan from the outside world, ... and if we're patient, then we could weaken it down. But ofcourse, shield strength and armor plating doesn't degrade if we don't touch it. smile.gif

Ok, guys, I need to go now. Have to get back to my dorm. Colledge is back on my agenda tomorrow.

------------------

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

Rico! Welcome back. I was feeling bad that I hadn't got back to you, and was going to do it after I posted here. No need now, I guess.

Cmdr Williams, good job in Rico's absence. Now that he's back, he'll take over 1st squadron command.

2 ship elements: Squadron Commanders can subdivide their squadron as you see fit. I just hand out the orders. I think that one 4-ship squadron can effectively patrol at most 2 regions, depending on the number of jump points. As such, you'll probably want to subdivide the squadron into elements.

Newsletter: Web-based it is. I'll start putting one together for release around April 1, unless someone else wants the job.

Blockades:

In Bc3k, if you prevent trading vessels from reaching a station, that station becomes weaker (less armour/shields). I don't know if this has been built on with BC:M, but I think it's safe to assume that any feature in bc3k will also be in BC:M

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Sorry about late answer to the row call but better late than never. I'll report for duty in Gammawing 1st squadron. I can't get my AW to work, keeps crashing all the time, so I can't join in meetings in AW. Are you still planning on mp on other games? How about Rainbow Six? It's stragetic game, and you must work as a team. I'm going to edit my sig to show the right info.

------------------

Cmdr Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining

Welcome Aboard, Papi!

You are assigned to 2nd Squadron, which I am now activating. You can have the Squadron Commander's position is you so choose.

About Rainbow 6: It works for me, I can get a copy of it. How about the rest of you? Let me know if you own the game or not.

Don't worry about AW, we'll just keep in touch here, via E-mail, and through the newsletter.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Guest Remo Williams

Welcome back Commanders its good to hear from you all. The web based news letter idea sounds great to me. I went to the our weekly meeting this week but didn't stay long it was pretty lonely in there. Sorry Rico I guess I missed you. I must have left before you got there. If its possible to keep a log of our weekly meeting that would be and excellent addition to the Bi-weekly web-based news letter I think.

I agree with our Wing Commander the squadron ship formation should be Left up to the squadron Commander. I'll follow any formation that you decide upon Commander Rico.

Welcome aboard Papi good to here from you we need all the Commanders we can get BC:M is just around the corner and we can't be caught with our pants down when the Insurgents come a knocken. As far as the Mp sessions go to practice as a team for BC:M. I think we had decided to use X-wing vrs Tie fighter and Quake 1 becauses there both mp functional demos under 10meg so they could be downloaded fairly fast. But that is a good suggestion that should be brought up at the next meeting.

[RP]

Commander Williams jumps from his seat to attention and salutes as Commander Rico enters the squadron Commanders office. "Its all yours Sir glad to have you back!!"

[/RP]

------------------

Commander Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing, 1st Squadron

[RP]

Squadron Commander hmmm.... sounds good, 'been waiting this for almost three years, let's go and kick some serious insurgent butt!

[/RP]

Btw, my time zone is GMT +2

Now I have to upgrade my machine for BCM to work, well oh.... smile.gif

Cmdr Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing, 2nd squadron

"Sun täytyy varoo mitä sä haluut, sä voit saada sen!" and same in english "Be careful what you want, you might get it!"

Andy McCoy

[This message has been edited by Papi (edited 03-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Papi (edited 03-20-2000).]