Carving up the Galaxy (Or who wants to patrol where)

I thought i'd start up this topic so we can discuss the patrol zones for the Prime Fleet Wings & Squadrons. Maybe when we've finished discussing it here, FC can draw up a formalised chart of standard patrol zones and patrol schedules.

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing

[This message has been edited by Rm (edited 07-04-2000).]

How far out are we going to patrol? Just the Terran Quadrant? Or are we going to be doing patrols in the neighboring Quadrants as well?

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

S36 Commander, Gamma Wing

It will be mainly the Terran quadrant, but also in other areas under Prime Fleet control. I'm told that four of the wings will be responsible for these patrols with the last being a reserve. This thread is to discuss which wings will be patrolling which sectors.

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing

Well, Gamma Wing? What say you? There are eight star systems in the Terran Quadrant. Where do you want to patrol?

I think that our patrol areas should alternate, once we get them organized. Say, every couple of weeks or so, we all swap patrol zones. That way, we won't get bored. wink.gif

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

True, there are 8 starsystems in the quadrant. But 3 of them contain 5 starstations of aggressive castes. (status quo of BC3k, the way it is now, as I'm not yet very familiar with the changes in 3010) So, patroling in those regions will immediatly be considered as an act of war. (to those stations anyway)

Is it the intention to just clear the region/sector of unwanted traffic or are we supposed to sweep the whole area, including stations? As that's what I consider a direct strike. And being part of an offensive. Not the same as keeping traffic lanes open and save.

I mean, I don't mind doing it. I just considered attacking a station one level further. Just give the order and we'll flaten space out for ya. smile.gif

As for a favourite spot, I don't think I have one. Just a practical idea. As Gamma has the most squadrons right now, and Sol has the most regions, I call for home. But it is a good idea to chance places form time to time. Apart from this I will just have to stick the map to a dartboard and let the dart and Newton decide where. I have no real preference.

------------------

Cmdr. Rico 'V_ger' Jansen

GCV-de Ruyter

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 16 Squadron Commander

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

"... to boldly show, where no one has gone before"

I imagine that the patrolling squadrons will leave the hostile stations alone, unless ordered otherwise. The main object of these patrols is to keep the space free of hostiles, who would otherwise attack harmless castes. The secondary object of these patrols is to keep track of craft at the edges of Prime space, especially in preparation for a strike.

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing

So we'd be patrolling the "space lanes." Keeping the unclaimed regions between our stations and outposts clear of hostiles.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Guest Kirk Stroiker

Well let's see there are 8 attack Squadrons per Wing, some support Squadrons and the Wing Staff. But what about defense of the individual stations?

Example: One Squadron is in Mars on patrol and some hostels jump into Earth region! frown.gif"><P>ThatJust my $0.02. smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Kirk Stroiker

GCV Flightstar, Genesis, Moon/Sol/TQ

1st Squadron, Gamma Wing - Prime Fleet

[This message has been edited by Kirk Stroiker (edited 09-22-2000).]

Gentlemen,

If you reread the Structure, you will find the following information:

(a) A Wing consists of eight Squadrons. Altogether (up to) 72 ships plus Staff.

(B) There are some "Support Squadrons" available, each under command of the CO of the starstation they are assigned to. Also, a whole Wing is at reserve, i.e. stationed at one of the three starstations.

Therefore, IMO, starstation defense (for roleplaying purposes) should be no problem.

OTOH BC:M is something completely different! We will see what tactics work when it is available... wink.gif

Btw., this discussion is developing fine! You guys discuss some patrol schemes, and the Wing Commanders should present the final results to the G3 Tactics office. Remember to divide the zones into four parts, not five.

Regards.

------------------

Fleet Cmdr. Joe Gudihl

GCV-Dark Star

Prime Fleet

Dragon - Order of Jade Dragon

"Remember, we are trained professionals... Don't try this at home!"

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

[This message has been edited by Thomas Siemens (edited 06-28-2000).]

I agree with the idea that the squadrons should be rotated regularly, otherwise, players in 'secure' areas, like Earth, will get bored out of their skulls waiting for some action, and players in hostile regions will get toasted too many times for their liking! smile.gif

The question now is: How often shall we rotate the patrols?

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing

[This message has been edited by Rm (edited 07-05-2000).]

I say twice a month, for now. Once we start playing, we can tweak that.

1st and 2nd Squadrons, I'd like preferred patrol locations/routes for each squadron by July 15th. Routes may contain stations of hostile stations, provided that they are Multinational. That means we can patrol Raider controlled regions, but not Gammulan controlled regions, for example. Patrol areas can contain a number of space regions up to the number of active ships in the squadron. Remember that some moons are contained within their own region. These regions must be patrolled, as well.

------------------

Commander S. Badgerius

GCV-Diligence

Prime Fleet

Here are the ideas i've come up with for the patrol schemes. They will be rotated twice a month (unless you guys object). Tell me which you'd prefer, or if you have any better ideas.

Patrol Scheme #1)

Prime Controlled areas are split into four groups, each patrolled by a single wing. Patrol schemes for any planets or moons in a Wing's patrol zone is decided by the Wing Commander.

Patrol Scheme #2)

Prime Controlled areas are split into two groups, each patrolled by a single wing in space only. Planets and moons will be covered by the remaining two wings, with one wing covering each of the planets in their group, as mentioned above.

Once we've sorted this out, we can decide where the patrol zones are going to be.

------------------

Commander Robert Martin

GCV-Dark Knight

Prime Fleet

S26 Commander, Beta Wing

I've been away awhile, so I'm just catching up some things in this forum. Patrolling zones sounds a good idea and I'm planning a proposal for patrolling routes for 2nd squadron. I'm just wondering could it be possible to use scripts for now until BCM is ready, so we could have a feeling of proper patrolling. I haven't made any scripts, but if there's anyone familiar with GBS, I think it could be possible to make a script that gives orders about patrolling, just an idea.

------------------

Cmdr Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining

Prime fleet

Gamma Wing, 26 Commander

2nd squadron "No quarter"

"They hold no quarter, they ask no quarter"

RM-Since Prime Fleet was re-built, there has been a lot of random sugestions on patrols. Your PATROL #1 is probably the most workable and the less confusing to newbees. If the Wing Commanders will submit their assignment request to me (Maxamillian G3,acting,} or the Fleet Commander {Thomas Siemens}, we will be able to co-ordinate the operation.

The purpose of Tactics as you know, is to keep all the Commanders from over working one area and leaving holes in others. Let me know if this will work for you, you can reach me at the e-mail address [email protected].

Keep up the good work RM,we will try to keep the Fleet from running amuck out there. When someone else picks up the job of G3 officer, you will be working with them. Any information that is gathered from these patrols will be fed into the Fleets G2 {Intelegence} sectiion so there will be not be a void of information between the two sections {G2 and G3}. See you out there >------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught

Prime Fleet

G2 Intelligence/Security; G3 Tactics (Acting)

Shipsmotto: "Retreat? Hell!"

• 2 weeks later...