Fleet Officers Job Descriptions And Fleet Ranks

Guest Remo Williams

Guest Remo Williams

FLEET STAFF JOB DESCRIPTIONS

Supreme Commander:

Does whatever he wants Don't mess with the SC.

Fleet Leader (G6):

Holds the rank of Tacops Commander and Insures the effectiveness of Prime Fleet. Coordinates with other Fleet Commanders and the Supreme Commander to maintain situational awareness in a hostile universe. Reviews and approves multiplayer scenarios, then coordinates with other fleet leaders to insure a time and date acceptable to all players.

Staff Chief (G6):

The Fleet Executive Officer (XO). Coordinates multiplayer activity to include posting of schedules to the calendar of events. The Staff Chief should have (Administrative) access to the Fleet website. Insures that all logistic, tactical, intelligence, and personnel functions are accomplished in a timely manner. Acts as the go-between for the G6 Fleet Leader and the Fleet Staff officers as necessary. Insures that newly promoted officers are familiar with their responsibilities and procedures. The Fleet Staff Chief is also The Commandant of the Fleet Academy. The Academy CO is responsible for checking the Fleet DB for newly enrolled members, assigning them Cadet status, sending them a letter of instruction, and informing the instructor to be on the lookout for a new recruit. Instructors would be responsible for conducting training as outlined earlier in the forum ... with required changes to reflect our emphasis on multiplayer.

Public Relations (G5):

Responsible for advertisement of Prime Fleet and recruitment of new members. To accomplish this task, the Public Relations Officer should take advantage of all venues friendly to the Battlecruiser universe. The Public Relations Officer also heads the Fleet news service, and maintains the news webpage located on the fleet website.

Logistics (G4):

Maintains, reviews, and updates Prime Fleet publications. The Logistics Officer coordinates multiplayer hosting resources, insuring times and dates are passed to the Staff Chief for inclusion in the calendar of events. Determines methods of funding Fleet projects.

Tactical (G3):

Develops combat tactics. Integrates land, sea, air, and space assets into a coordinated offensive and defensive Fleet unit. Analyzes available weapons and devises methods of employing them effectively. Also develops means to counter enemy weapon systems. Conducts post-Academy Fleet training in the multiplayer arena, coordinating with the Staff Chief to assure timely dissemination of training schedules. Also coordinates with Wing Leaders (CO) to insure all Fleet personnel are actively participating in Fleet activities.

Intelligence (G2):

Gathers data on enemy movements, tactics, and weapons. Coordinates with the Tactical Officer to insure a successful outcome when confronted with any enemy threat. Monitors Insurgent and other websites/forums for activity hostile to Prime Fleet and GalCom in general.

Personnel (G1):

Disseminates information, as required, to each new member of Prime Fleet. The Personnel Officer also maintains multiplayer statistics and insures that forum profiles adhere to Prime Fleet and Battlecruiser standards. Coordinates with the Academy commandant to insure all cadets are in compliance with Fleet and GalCom requirements; substitutes for Academy commandant when necessary. Contacts delinquent (AWOL) personnel to determine the status of inactive players, reporting determination to the Staff Chief for disposition

All the job descriptions are subject to revision without notice by the SC, Gudihl or myself.

The Following are the ranks available with-in Prime fleet and how They're assigned.

[*]Supreme Commander - (The Main Man)

[*]Tacops Commander - (G6 Fleet Leader)

[*]Strategic Commander - (G6 Staff Chief)

[*]Fleet Commander - (All Other Fleet Staff)

[*]Commander - (S6 Wing Leader)

[*]LT. Commander - (Carrier Group Leader)

[*]Major - (Carrier Group Members)

[*]Lieutenant - (Carrier Group Members)

[*]Ensign - (Carrier Group Members)

[*]Cadet - (Academy Training)

Here are the Marine ranks available in Prime

[*]Commander - (S6 Battalion Leader)

[*]Command Sergeant - (Company Leader)

[*]Sergeant - (Squad Leader)

[*]Corporal - (Sqaud Member)

[*]Lance Corporal - (Squad Member)

[*]Private - (Squad Member)

[*]Cadet - (Academy Training)

All Ranks are also subject to change at anytime without notice by the SC.

Looks great.

A few remarks:

You should differ between jobs, ranks (fleet db), and security levels (two types: forum, and fleet db) more clearly:

Jobs: all mentioned above

G4 (Logistics) originally had a somewhat different main aspect: providing ships, verhicles, and materials (for warefare), and organize their transport to the various battle ground. Publications (press releases) were part of G5, a calendar would be part of G3.

It's like a workflow: G6 delcares some war, G2 looks where (places) to fight, G3 decides (from the info provided by G2) where to fight. G1 provides personnel, G4 provides ships, and vehicles. And G5 is public relations - providing information to the world of the civilians. G5 is more a job outside of war, i.e. before, and after the battles. It's somewhat obsolete during a war. That's why it is often combined with G6 Staff Chief.

Official Ranks (Fleet DB - Terran/Military):

[*]Supreme Commander - Derek himself

[*]Tacops Commander - not in use at the moment

[*]Strategic Commander - typically an Alliance Leader, or Commander of a Fleet

[*]Fleet Commander - Commander of a Fleet, or Co-Commander of a Fleet

[*]Commander - Wing Leader, or "normal" Commander

[*]Cadet - Member of The Academy

Security Levels (Fleet DB):

[*]4 Admin - Can install Alliances

[*]3 Alliance Leader - Can install Fleets

[*]2 Fleet Leader - Can install Wings

[*]1 Wing Leader - Can install Commanders

[*]0 None - Is a Commander, or Cadet

Security Levels (3000AD.com Forum):

[*]Supreme Commander[GALCOM] - Derek himself

[*]Supreme Commander - an Admin

[*]Tacops Commander - a Moderator

Security Levels in the primefleet.com Forum are your property. Wouldn't it be better not to mix them up with the 3000AD.com Forum levels? Best choose completely different ones, like Owner, Admin, Moderator, ...

Best regards

Guest Remo Williams

I agree somewhat about the job descriptions now that you mention it. Thats why I posted it for comments and possible revisions, thanks for the input.

I see the DB levels as administrative levels rather than the actual in game fleet member ranks. I may be wrong though.

I pulled the Fleet ranks from the Game appendex under the ranks section. There they are all listed as I posted them.

As far as the forums go I have the rank of Tacops Cmdr. which is a Admin also like the Supreme Commander designation. Strategic cmdrs. are moderators here on the forum so it would be as so.

Supreme Commander [GALCOM] Derek himself.

Supreme Commander - Admin

Tacops Commander - Admin

Strategic Commander - Moderator.

Anyway now I'm confused about ranks since they vary from database to appendex to forum. LOL!

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

I see the DB levels as administrative levels rather than the actual in game fleet member ranks. I may be wrong though.

In the Fleet DB, there are ranks, and levels. Ranks are Supreme Cmdr., Tacops Cmdr., ... Levels are Admin, Alliance Leader, ...

IMO those ranks, provided by Derek, are the officia├ ranks for the members of the Terran/Military alliance.

Thus you, and Marvin, are Fleet Commanders (in your sig.), denoted "Fleet Commander Remo Williams, G6 Fleet Commander (i. e. commander of) Prime Fleet", and "Fleet Commander Marvin, G6 Staff Chief (i. e. co-commander of) Prime Fleet".

quote:

I pulled the Fleet ranks from the Game appendex under the ranks section. There they are all listed as I posted them.

Those are, well, rewards, for experience points. Even if you gather enought EPs to be "Supreme Cmdr." (in MP), there's no chance that you ever become The Supreme Commander[GALCOM].

quote:

As far as the forums go I have the rank of Tacops Cmdr. which is a Admin also like the Supreme Commander designation. Strategic cmdrs. are moderators here on the forum so it would be as so.

Supreme Commander [GALCOM] Derek himself.

Supreme Commander - Admin

Tacops Commander - Admin

Strategic Commander - Moderator.

You are right on that. I stand corrected. Just looked it up in the Control Panel...

quote:

Anyway now I'm confused about ranks since they vary from database to appendex to forum. LOL!

Yeah!

And you even brought up another, different type: those of the appendix.

Best regards

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Yeah!

And you even brought up another, different type: those of the appendix.

Hehe, my bad! They fit well with our structure, so they're the one's I would like to use with Prime.

So I'm going to request permission from GALCOM Command to use the ranks I posted above for Prime Fleet.

Remo Out!

quote:

It depends. They were originally designed to reflect in game fleet ranks, but I also ended up using them for admin security levels.

The original idea behind those ranks was so that someone's rank could be changed by the fleet leader when necessary.

So, regardless of them being used for admin security, once the structure is complete, I may need to have Voltaic - once again - update the db to reflect those ranks (using a different field).

Guest Remo Williams

IÔÇÖve just received approval for using the rank structure I posted above from GalCom!

It will go into use effective immediately. All Fleet staff officers please change your SigÔÇÖs to show your new rank in accordance with our structure.

Marvin all cadets graduating from the academy do so with the rank of Ensign. Unless theyÔÇÖre Marines then their rank will be private. I know that donÔÇÖt go in accordance with actual military doctrine but thatÔÇÖs the way it will be.

Hi, Remo!

quote:

The Following are the ranks available with-in Prime fleet and how They're assigned.

[*]
    Supreme Commander - (The Main Man)

[*]
    Tacops Commander - (G6 Fleet Leader)

[*]
    Strategic Commander - (G6 Staff Chief)

[*]
    Fleet Commander - (All Other Fleet Staff)

[*]
    Commander - (S6 Wing Leader)

[*]
    LT. Commander - (Carrier Group Leader)

[*]
    Major - (Carrier Group Members)

[*]
    Lieutenant - (Carrier Group Members)

[*]
    Ensign - (Carrier Group Members)

[*]
    Cadet - (Academy Training)

Sorry, this makes absolutely no sense to me. It's a break of all traditions.

Usually, you have to be a Commander to be allowed to, er, command a greater ship (cruiser, or carrier). Your 2nd in command (on a ship) used to be a Lt. Commander. And the word "Fleet Commander" makes no sense IMHO, if there are five within one single fleet, which is led by a Tacops Commander, and a Strategic Commander.

Now we have Ensigns as commanders of our smaller ships?!?

Also, there are no ranks left between a fleet, and the higher powers (i. e. GALCOM HQ, and Terran/Military Allicane - not yet fleshed out!). Please reread you old BC3000AD manual for the traditional ranks: there used to be one Supreme Cmdr. (leader of GALCOM), and oneTacOps Cmdr., and Strat. Cmdr. (leaders of the Terran/Military Alliance).

quote:

Here are the Marine ranks available in Prime

[*]
    Commander - (S6 Battalion Leader)

[*]
    Command Sergeant - (Company Leader)

[*]
    Sergeant - (Squad Leader)

[*]
    Corporal - (Squad Member)

[*]
    Lance Corporal - (Squad Member)

[*]
    Private - (Squad Member)

[*]
    Cadet - (Academy Training)

First rank above a Command Sergeant would normally be a Lieutenant, whereas an Ensign is - traditionally - an officer to be.

Best regards

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Sorry, this makes absolutely no sense to me. It's a break of all traditions.

Usually, you have to be a Commander to be allowed to, er, command a greater ship (cruiser, or carrier). Your 2nd in command (on a ship) used to be a Lt. Commander. And the word "Fleet Commander" makes no sense IMHO, if there are five within one single fleet, which is led by a Tacops Commander, and a Strategic Commander.

Now we have Ensigns as commanders of our smaller ships?!?

Also, there are no ranks left between a fleet, and the higher powers (i. e. GALCOM HQ, and Terran/Military Allicane - not yet fleshed out!). Please reread you old BC3000AD manual for the traditional ranks: there used to be one Supreme Cmdr. (leader of GALCOM), and oneTacOps Cmdr., and Strat. Cmdr. (leaders of the Terran/Military Alliance).

Thomas you are looking at this from the wrong view. The rank of Fleet Commander now designates that you are of the Staff officer level which makes you a commander over the entire fleet for the job that you do within the fleet. Hence you maintain the rank of Fleet cmdr.

The fleet leader of Prime has always had seniority over the other Fleet Leaders in the field since he runs Prime the #1 fleet in the GalCom alliance.

As far a LT commander being in control of a CC. I remember reading a post at one time where SC said that he didn't want to mimic the traditional military exactly. Since this is now the year 3020 or there abouts now you have LT commander able to command CC's.

I have no problem's with putting a Major or Lieutenant or even a Ensign into a fighter if he graduates our program at the academy.

quote:

First rank above a Command Sergeant would normally be a Lieutenant, whereas an Ensign is - traditionally - an officer to be.

Best regards

I think a commander should run the Battalion as a commander runs a wing. anyway we are not going with the tradition miltary standards. The appendex does not list the rank of ensign for marines so when a marine recruit graduates the academy he will be a private.

Well I have to go to work now! I'll discuss this more in about ten hour. Man I hate these long days but I have to eat. LOL!

Gentlemen,

FYI

Remo:

quote:

Thomas you are looking at this from the wrong view. The rank of Fleet Commander now designates that you are of the Staff officer level which makes you a commander over the entire fleet for the job that you do within the fleet. Hence you maintain the rank of Fleet cmdr.

Not entirely correct. The commanding officer of a fleet is (or used to be) a "Fleet Cmdr.". His (so called) Staff advises him. All commands come from the commander of a fleet, or in case of his absense (and only then) from his co-commander.

quote:

The fleet leader of Prime has always had seniority over the other Fleet Leaders in the field since he runs Prime the #1 fleet in the GalCom alliance.

No, he has not. Never had. Prime is not in any way specialized, that's it main attribute. This is the fleet who brings in the masses. Compare the Fleet FAQ:

[*]Prime Fleet - main GALCOM fleet

[*]Orion Fleet - primarily focused on heavy combat missions

[*]ISS - devoted to the security of Sol, intelligence, and the support of other Fleets hence it's name: In System Security

[*]Wraith - the Special Operations arm of GALCOM

No fleet is in any way "better", or has seniority, over the other fleets within the Terran/Military Alliance. Or, the other way round: each one of the Fleets are senior in its own speciality...

Please stick to the last post from the SC, concerning this. Along with his mail, you, and Marvin, were both promoted to "Fleet Commander" by the SC himself (in the Fleet DB).

Best regards

Remo, Gudihl is 100% correct in his post above. I am going to expect you and him to work this out and not piss around with stuff that was fine the way it was. If it ain't broke, we're not fixing it.

Gudihl, please pass along my PM to Remo.

Why we should use RemoÔÇÖs rank structure.

Incentive. With the addition of multiplayer to the universe of 3000 A.D., the possibility now exists for Fleet and Wing commanders to gauge the actual performance of their people. Actual. Not role-playing, where anyone can imagine himself or herself as the hero of the galaxy.

Previously, promotions could only be gained either through participation at the website or, more likely, through attrition. Granted, participation can still be considered when a command position opens up but performance on-line must now also be considered.

As the Fleet grows in ranks, the number of available slots very likely wonÔÇÖt keep pace with the need to recognize outstanding performance in multiplayer. Ergo, we need other methods of recognizing extraordinary combat skill. The most obvious (and the most military) is promotion in rank/grade.

It is simply another reflection of moving from a single-player, R/P universe to the multiplayer world of Universal Combat.

Btw (FYI), the actual ranking system for the U.S. Armed Forces (and most anything else military) can be found here:

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/blrank.htm

Note: We recognize that not everyone can perform extraordinarily on line; some consideration must also be given to time-in-grade. For this reason, a promotion schedule could be set up to reflect the merit of ÔÇ£just sticking with the FleetÔÇØ (e.g. Promotion to Lieutenant comes 30 days after graduation from the Academy).

Marvin:

Well, I am not against a new ranks structure, as long as it does not mess with GALCOM HQ standards. Thus, only ranks Commander, and below, are open to discussion...

Compare the appendix data with the military rank chart:

1. Ensign - Ensign
  2. Lieutenant - Lieutenant Junior Grade
  3. Major - Lieutenant
  4. LT. Commander - LT. Commander
  5. Commander - Commander
  6. Fleet Commander - Captain
  7. Strategic Commander - Rear Admiral (lower, and upper half)
  8. Tacops Commander - Vice Admiral
  9. Supreme Commander - Admiral

IMO, they compare quit good!

Now, you should differ between the commander, and the (elite force) pilot career. These are two different ranges, with completely different ships available: elite force pilots can access fighters, whereas commanders can access carriers, and cruisers (and transports, well).

The rank "Fleet Commander" is called Fleet Commander, because he typically commands, well, a fleet. Typically, you need to be "Captain" (Navy) to be commander of a ship, with a "Commander" (Navy) as your co-commander, or 1st Officer. The SC reduced this by one rank, thus in the BCM(G)/UC-Universe, a Commander commands a ship, with a LT. Commander as his 1st Officer.

Now, since June 10th, in the Ter/Mil alliance the commanders, and co-commanders of the fleets have been promoted to Startegic Commander, and Fleet Commander respectively. Now, you are nearly equal with the Navy ranks, where a Rear Admiral typically commands a group of ships.

Within Prime Fleet, the promotions come with your position on one of the various levels. But you could propose a new ranks structure like:

1. Commander of Prime Fleet, G6 - rank "Strategic Commander" - 1 position
  2. Co-Commander of Prime Fleet, G6 - rank "Fleet Commander" - 1 position
  3. Fleet Staff G1 to G5 - rank "Commander" - 5 positions
  4. Commander of a Wing, S6 - rank "Commander" - 5 Wings, each 1 position, together 5 positions
  5. Co-Commander of a Wing, S5 - possible rank "LT. Commander" - 5 Wings, each 1 position, together 5 positions
  6. Wing Staff S1 to S4 - possible rank "Major" - 5 Wings, each 4 positions, together 20 positions
  7. Commander of a Squadron, x6 - possible rank "Major" - 8 Squadrons per Wing, together 40 positions
  8. Squadron Member, x - possible rank "Lieutenant" - up to 9 ships per Squadron, together 360 positions

All in all up to 437 positions (ship commanders) plus cadets plus marine battallions, and so on.

Now, the first to ranks are given by GALCOM HQ. IMO there's not so much difference between a Fleet Staff member G1 to G5, and a commander of a Wing S6, or between a Wing Staff member S1 to S4, and a commander of a Squadron x6 (or "Carrier Group").

Beware: this revised new rank structure with the "possible" (new) ranks would break the historical rule that you need to be a "Commander" to actually command a ship, and also would be a contradiction to the BCM(G)/UC Appendix Data!

OTOH, it would provide some extra means of promotion, which could provide some motivation. People would leave the Academy as Lieutenants; a Cadet would have either the rank LT. Commander in the old scheme, or Ensign in this new scheme...

Well, what ship could such a Lieutenant possibly access, and what are the ranks of his crew members? An Ensign as 1st Officer of such a ship, and everyone else an Enlisted Rank (Navy term)?

You should also ask, and discuss this with the commanders of the other fleets, at least in the Ter/Mil alliance, before submitting a final proposal to GALCOM HQ!

Best regards

I am 100% in agreement with Gudihl's proposal as it is line with what I have already estabilished within my game world.

Hopefully, you all will get this crap sorted out and quit giving me a headache over it.

Guest Remo Williams

Settle down men and leave Derek alone please! This is between PrimeÔÇÖs Staff officers, Gudihl and myself. IÔÇÖm still here IÔÇÖve read over Gudihl proposal and IÔÇÖm in discussion with my staff to determine If we can make it work for our MP goals. I am disappointed in the fact that Gudihl doesn't have a clue as to what I am doing. That was apparent after reading his PM to Derek and his posts since. No offence intended that happens sometimes when people arenÔÇÖt in the loop when you are planning then they jump in head first without knowing whatÔÇÖs been discussed.

Prime is no longer a RP fleet the way it was for years under GudihlÔÇÖs command. We are an MP organization for which and RP Rank and Physical structure just wonÔÇÖt work. His last posted structure is closer to what we need, but still needs work and discussion.

IÔÇÖm going to be meeting with my staff the rest of this week VIA team speak to work on this and see if it can be resolved ASAP. Stay calm all is not lost this will make us stronger in the end more than likely. Besides gentlemen if I resign or get fired over this Prime will go on never fear. IÔÇÖm just one out of many that have made Prime what it is today. You guys are Prime and the reason I will not accept anything less than what you deserve for MP.

Stay tuned and remember LEAVE Derek alone about this if you need to talk I have a PM box and email use it.

Guest Remo Williams

Here is a link to the Prime Fleet Charter. This document was created in 2001-2002. Since then we have operated mostly by what is contained within. If you look at section 2C you will notice that our rank structure was included at the time of the charter being drafted, so this is nothing new to Prime. It just wasnÔÇÖt implemented until now though because we were waiting for MP to go full swing. Although I am amending certain section of section 2C along with other sections of the charter I will be creating an errata that will document all these changes for reference. Since this document has existed for 2 years or more without being touch and was known of by all active members of Prime. You can see why the whole of Prime became so irate when it was trying to be tore apart on a whim. It took us a lot of thought and effort to come to agreement on how it was put together. So that it would be useful for many years to come. Here is a quote from Section 2C.

Commander Career Ranks:

Supreme Commander

Tacops Commander

Strategic Commander

Fleet Commander

Commander

As you can see these are the ranks in my original proposals and are in the Game, game appendix and the Prime Fleet Charter. The source of contention here is that my staff and myself do not see the Fleet Commanders rank as referring to the Fleet Leader position alone. The Fleet staff positions in Prime are or should be a higher rank than the average Wing Leader. Which holds the rank of Commander. Since there is no rank in GalCom between the rank of Commander and Fleet Commander we were in a dilemma. So I adopted the use of fleet Commander to show the higher rank of the fleet staff over the Wing Leaders and the rest of the fleet and the fight was on at that point. It would not have hurt the game or the game universe to let the rank of Fleet Commander represent the command staff of a Fleet. Since the Fleet Leader position is now represent with a rank of Strategic Cmdr. Anyway that was only part of the problems that started the mess that ensued.

Pilot Career Ranks:

Commander

LT. Commander

Major

Lieutenant

Ensign

Both the Pilot career and the Commander career candidates are trained at the Academy thus this is the reason that when you graduate from the academy you receive the rank of ensign. And are assigned either a transport, shuttle or fighter craft to pilot as a member of a carrier group. Refer to PrimeÔÇÖs carrier group make-up posted here in the forum to fully understand my contention. This will give a reason for graduates to be motivated to perform in MP to rise through the ranks to someday be a CC commander or possibly even a part of the command staff.

The Marines on the other hand are enlisted recruits and are not trained with officer candidates at the Academy but rather at boot camp. Once a marine completes his boot camp training he is given the rank of Private and assigned to a squad in a Battalion. Refer to the enlisted members ranks below. The boot camp will be opening soon to accept marine candidates for those interested in the first person aspect of UC MP.

Marine Career Ranks:

Command Sergeant

Sergeant

Corporal

Lance Corporal

Private

As you can see the Fleet Charter mirrors the game appendix and the in-game BC universe ranks. So I see no reason that we should have had to put up with what occurred with Gudihl; which almost caused my resignation if it would have been accepted by Derek. This structure has been known for years in Prime. The only reason that I was calling it our new rank structure is because everyone was still using the straight out commander rank structure from the BC3K days in the community, but by no means is this rank structure that IÔÇÖm introducing to the BC community new to us in Prime Fleet or the game.

Remo Out!