Orion Fleet Directive - Epsilon 5

Supreme Cmdr

Done.

Stupid, stupid comments. What the hell was he thinking?

Ok, enough is enough. Im tired of seeing my members doing retarded things like this. Im sick of logging on and seeing that people I've brought on board, given responsibility to and encouraged over the months (and in some cases years) throw it all away by being dumb. In fact, Im getting sick of being made to look bad by people who should really know better. If you got warez, I dont want to know about it. If you got a grudge against the SC, I dont want to hear about it. If you have a problem with me, bring it.

The next docile ******* who steps out of line is gone by my own hand. In fact, screw it, if ANYTHING like this happens again, Im disbanding the Fleet, reasigning those left elsewhere and taking a long walk away.

I HAVE HAD ENOUGH. If you ladies cant act responsibly, you have no place here, and I will be damned if im going to continue to allow this to reflect badly on me.

All I can say is that he should've known better than to blurt out statements like that. SC was not being harsh. All the message boards that I go to bans people for the very mention of warez and it's links.

Don't beat yourself over it Blades. You're not responsible for anyone's personality except your own.

Banning E5 was the saddest thing I had to do today and I don't even want to discuss it again. I got email from him which I subsequently deleted unread because I just don't want to discuss it. Period.

The fact remains, if I condone this from long standing members, then I'm no better.

And you are right, that was a dumb thing to do. I'm sure that there are people here who warez stuff - but bragging about it would be stupid.

I've banned people for less. As far as I'm concerned, he's a ghost now.

quote:

Don't beat yourself over it Blades. You're not responsible for anyone's personality except your own.

That may be true, but it doesnt take away the fact that in the space of just over a week, two of my key, long standing people have been banned because of stupid things they have said. On top of that, another of my long term members and key members has resigned due to personal issues he has to deal with. I've spent two years building this fleet up to somthing I and my members can be proud of, and during that time I've had to speak to just about all of them concerning matters of conduct and forum responsibility. So their failures to adhere to the rules I have imposed on them reflects badly on me.

I like to think I run a tight ship and attract the sort of people that take things seriously. To a fair extent, I've done that - but random outbursts like this do nothing but knock us down another notch in a period where we are already having problems.

Yes, Orion is having problems. They may not be evident to the outsider, but they are there. It's like I've lost control of things, and piece by piece all the work I've done here is unraveling before my eyes.

Im getting tired of watching this happen. Im getting tired of coming here every day and seeing another post by one of my lot that has me cringing, or wondering if it's going to get them shouted at or banned. It never used to be this bad. There was a time when people could get away with a lot more than they do now. If you ask me (And you didnt) things have gotten a little too draconian around here of late.

I agree that security has to be tightened to keep a certain element out of the way, but I dont agree with the sheer number of people (Vets and newbies alike) who are intimidated or frightened into submission.

What James Hamblin and Epsilon 5 did in the past week was stupid and wrong, and I dont condone their actions at all. However, I cant sit on my hands and not speak out about the atmosphere in this forum of late. Im pretty sure the regulars know exactly what Im talking about.

I meant what I said before. Im tired of this whole business. My life is busy enough without having to worry too much about a hobby which is taking up more and more of my time and giving me the sort of stress I could well do without.

Im strongly considering stepping down and walking away. If I do that, I'll finish putting up the rest of the Orion site and hand over responsibility of it, the domain name, email accounts and everything associated to whoever succedes me.

Blades i was thinking the same thing, but we can't...for the measure of how great a man is , is not how well he handles things when they are going right, but how well he handles them when things are going wrong, so we WILL PUSH ON. WE MUST!

ORION!

ORION!

ORION!

quote:

Im strongly considering stepping down and walking away. If I do that, I'll finish putting up the rest of the Orion site and hand over responsibility of it, the domain name, email accounts and everything associated to whoever succedes me.

MP is just around the corner lemming1, think if the possibilities

Hang in there or take a sabbatical ala DeSylva

Now I gotta readjust my MP target list

TTFN

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Originally posted by Blades:

Im getting tired of coming here every day and seeing another post by one of my lot that has me cringing, or wondering if it's going to get them shouted at or banned. It never used to be this bad. There was a time when people could get away with a lot more than they do now. If you ask me (And you didnt) things have gotten a little too draconian around here of late.

I agree that security has to be tightened to keep a certain element out of the way, but I dont agree with the sheer number of people (Vets and newbies alike) who are intimidated or frightened into submission.

I see. Well, now that the patches are out and the game is more or less secure, I should probably just close down the forum and be done with it. Tech support can still be handled via the support address as it used to.

And folks who want to meet, can do so via ICQ, AIM, IRC etc.

OK. I will close all the public sections of the forum down and disable all postings to all but the beta forum. The information on the site will remain read-only and there is a wealth of info already. I've already opened the forum to the public (you only have to register to post), so accessing the read-only forums shouldn't be a problem.

This is supposed to be fun. And I for one am NOT having fun and I'm tired of babysitting this forum and getting responses such as the above because some don't either (a) don't want to abide by the rules or (B) think they are too Draconian.

And I've said before, I have no problems banning any and everyone who steps out of line - no exceptions. So, rather than having to go through that periodically, I'll just disable postings and be done with it.

Nevertheless, Draconian or not, the forum is clean because of the tight ship I run here.

That is all.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

In light of the above action, and the comments I have made in Important Announcements thread, I hereby resign my commision as Orion Fleet Commander.

And as my last standing order to you lot before I go, I want to make one thing very clear. I love this game, this community and the history around it. I dont want to see any bullshit backlash against the SC or his policies. Play nice, or the next time you tune into The Basement, I'll rip you a new corn hole.

Take care guys.

Orion Fleet has always been one to take a beating. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger I guess, but this is not good at all.

* Salutes Fleet Commander Savage

Sir, it's been great the whole time, and I don't know what to think of this whole thing, it's still kind of a shock. My first instinct was to bolt from the sinking ship, but having read and understanding your position, I realize the best way to honor you is to continue doing my part in helping build and shape the fleet. I'm going to be gone for perhaps 4 months starting February due to the USMC, but once I am able to get situated I will be able to put more time into this hobby.

I'm going to need someone to fill in as recruitment officer when I leave, and know that everyone in Orion should keep an eye out for the occasional noob anyway. The fleets are going to take a beating along with the community if the boards go down, which we must understand. I'm going to start a thread in General Discussions for contact information.

-$iLk out.

*ahem*

Let us recall that Blades, as a Fleet Commander, is outranked by several members on this board. Including (possibly, it's a grey area in terms of seniroty) myself. And as the SC hasn't accepted his resignation...and I certainly haven't...perhaps we could try and resolve this issue.

I will email all parties concerned later on tonight. I do not support Blades' decision to resign, nor do I support the decision to close these forums.

-GD

This is really a shame. I thought I had finally found a board where I could spend a few years wihthout losing interest.

Thank you for sharing your posts gentlemen I lurked for 5 months before I posted, I will miss this forum, I actually had it running at work in and would check in regularly.

As for the SC I guess you can only beat your head against a concrete wall for so long before you pass out. It's his forum, his rules, his decision. If he no longer enjoys it than we shouldn't expect him to run it. Maybe next time ,if he is generous enough, people will appreciate it more.

If you support Epsilon you support a thief, bottom line. Your damn right I would ban him.

Blades, your resignation is a shame. From what I have read you are a valuable member here and have garnered a lot of peoples respect. Your posts are well thought out in general and I imagine you are a fine commander.

Your cause is noble but your direction a little misguided, how do you expect SC to feel but betrayed, you and SC apparently had a personal relationship and trust that was built up over time. You have cast that aside in the defence of the undefendable and then justify it by adding with respect to bannings "how many were unjustified?" when you have no knowledge that any were unjustified? I assume you would have posted that as well had you known.

You were defending your fleet, that I respect, it is the people you were defending that was the problem. I truly do hope there was more rationale to your decision than that.

I also question the need for you do to do so publicly.

If you wanted to explain your resignation to your fleet members good idea, and in a private email to Derek, fine even better, but by posting it on HIS forum to tell him your reasons and air your dirty laundry in public questioning decisions that he alone, most likely, has all the facts on was an error.

Derek owns this game , built this game, and supports this game, he created this forum for the fans so he could grow it with them. How may of you actually get to deal with a games creator on a consistent level, daily, and get know what he is thinking or where he stands on certain issues involving his game. Like him or not he is visible and accessable.

We were very lucky in this forum and we all, not just Blades, Epsilon and Hamblin, toasted it gentlemen. It would be wrong and unfair to blame just those three. We will all now have to go to other forums but it will likely degrade over time into what every other forum has become. I am glad we still have fleet forums I think they will be our saviour for MP.

And since this is likely one of my last posts here since we have limited time I will add this.

If you cannot handle getting yelled at or corrected harshly when you make an dumb error or don't take the time to think before you speak then you better grow up or stay in your basement. It's a harsh world out there and your not ready for it.

Cheers Gentlemen I will miss this forum greatly.

My mistake gentlemen I though I posted this in the important anouncements thread.. mayeb someone can move it there.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Oban ]

Blades,

I am quite sure that you missed the general intent of my post, part of the reason may be that It got posted in this thread instead of where I intended it.

My post as well was in response to the closing of the boards. It was not meant to be directed specifically to yourself until I reached the point where I mentioned your resignation was a shame. If I didnt value your opinion as a respected member of this forum I certainly wouldnt have made such a statement that I thought your leaving was a shame.

You are correct on a number of points, I do not know all of the facts, nor do I claim to. I guess that I overstepped my bounds there with respect to assuming too much about your situation and the SC's . For that I apologize publicly. Right now for all to see. I hope that apology is accepted. I admit, I should have heeded my own advice about the facts a little better here.

I never at any point intended to place the blame at your feet and my post states that. In fact it was meant as a defence to yourself so you would not get blamed by others. My intention was that we all should share the blame and remember that should we ever get another chance.

As to your references to "squire" and "sit down" and the derogatroy use of "newbie" as opposed to your elite status. I will let those pass. You generally defend noobs, and I think we are all a little heated right now. You felt that I had wronged you personally, which was not my intention, and had I felt that someone had personally attacked me I may very well have reacted the same way.

The final comment in my post was directed at newbies, of which I am one. We, newbs, need to toughen up a little (re: criticism from vets). It had nothng to do with yourself.

Blades, I am not interested in getting into a flame war with you. I just finished decorating the tree with my daughter, life is too short, this is its christmas, it is only a game. I think we both misunderstood each other.

Lets move on.

The olive branch has been extended, has it been accepted?

Cheers

Accepted readily, and happily. There wasnt going to be any flaming, Oban. Just your comments would have been better recieved from someone who knows the state of play in more detail than you. You got me at a sore moment, and I snapped a bit, so I too apologise. Anyway, it's time to move on from this. I hope you'll be a part of the new community, wherever and whenever it appears.

Oban, you are welcome, as is everyone else, wherever we go. JJ was just defending me, and posted at the same time I did. I deleted his post, but apparantly didnt do so in time. Everyone is strung out and frustrated with things right now, myself being no exception. Take a deep breath - go eat some candy off the tree and dont let this trouble you further. I'll take the same advice. Friends?

I've read several other posts and I have to say I can understand how the SC feels about E5. I used to work in Radio Shack. We had MASSIVE problems with shoplifters and other people who tried various means to rip us off or to try and get something for nothing. Such as: Stealing Sat TV with bogus cards, Shoplifting, various return scams.

I got sick of it. I really did. I trusted no one. But the comparison to E5 comes when my friends or their parents admited or I found out they did such acts. I was appauled. I wrestled with those feelings for a long time. I knew them long before I found out about these crimes they were commiting (or at least moral crimes), and I needed to accept that and I chose to ignore it.

It didn't matter that they didn't do it at my store, in my shopping center, or even to my company at any point. It was that they did it and it could just as well have been my store. I loved my store. The only reason I left was that I wasn't making enough money to put up with this stuff and I was going to UNLV full time.

But in this case there is something extra to consider. E5 said he did buy the game (I can only assume he did since SC seems to be enacting various anti-piracy protocols.). Therefore, should he not have access to the same support material and information as everyone else, including the forums? Then again, this is a private community, as stated several times in the past, and even in the user agreements. I am sad to see the forums close, even if temorarily. I'm going to talk to a friend and see if we can move these forums over to another site of mine and his, even if just temporarily. I'll keep the ISS fleet informed so you can contact them if such a thing happens as I don't think I'll be able to set things up before monday.

Eihort, Over and out.

My 2 cents once again. (Gotta get rid of these pennies somehow.)