ISS Status

Commander Jamont

OK, within 15 minutes of this post there will be some new artwork available for viewing in the Gallery in my ship's website (follow the link in my sig, then choose Gallery and look at the various animated wing forum badges) My server does not allow direct links, you have to go through the link in my sig first. (This means these badges cannot be used from my server, they will have to be put either on fluxgames or the iss subdomain of galcom.net). I have all of those animated badges available also double-size for a better look at them (for display purposes), but that means they take up four times as much filespace (the larger Defence badge is over 500k )

I took my inspiration somewhat from prime fleet's badge (i.e. do some funky transitions) though I'm unable to do any decent manipulation with the terran/galcom badges (my graphics packages won't let me, or I haven't figured out a workaround yet.)

Have I overdone it? (these are relatively big files)

I did the CIOPS one first, that's why it's the simplest, I could do a more complex one if requested to more closely match the other two.

Another topic: We need a classified forum section (or at least some encrypted fleet communication techniques. (After all, we are an intel and counter-intel fleet ) I do have a freeware encryption program (I think it's the one Desylva distributed to us oldies, but I'm not sure), so we could distribute it among fleet members and assign different security clearances (access level passwords) to different members, which would allow

them to read classified documents up to and including their level of clearance.

Feedback required, must dash

edit - pics are up

Guest Remo Williams

Jamont I really would like to see the ISS work on their sub-domain at Galcom. You have plenty of space for all your needs. You can setup a private board there if you like it makes a very good recruitment tool. I'll even help you set it up if you want. Then you will have all the privacy needed to run the ISS.

I'll send you your login info very soon I'm just finishing up some security settings so you will have complete security for your info.

BTW good work Ben they look really good!

Great work indeed! I must try to learn how to do such kind of animation.....REMO did a very good job on a couple of our badges but we still need the others to be done....

What software are you using?

I'll send you the encryption program by email, Jamont.

Thanks, guys. I found a workaround, and in spades Give me a couple of days, and those badges will reach all new heights of coolness (It'll add somewhere between 12-15 frames to each animation, but it'll be well worth it, trust me. I'll probably shorten the defence wing animation to compensate, the whole letter cooling bit doesn't work too well imho and beef up the CIOPS animation while I'm at it (don't I know when to stop?! )

I used Adobe Photoshop 4.0 (which is extremely unstable on my win2k system, so I just use it for resizing and filling, and file conversion) for doing most of the grunt work I used The Gimp a freeware graphics program. It's pretty darn good for the money

For putting the frames together into animated gifs I used Microsoft Gif Animator 1.0 (really old, really basic, and freeware 6-7 years ago) My main instrument was imagination, patience, unhealthy perfectionism and finger joints that are now begging for mercy

Later,

Thanks for the reply. I had Adobe Photoshop 6.5 on my system and it comes with a another program that I think is for creating animation.... I'll have a look at it....

Nah, just have lots of free time at the moment. (ten out of eleven of the lessons I teach a week have been permanently cancelled (they're all in the same firm (When I got there on Thursday they told me that they had forgotten to tell me on Tuesday that they're ending my contract. Nice, huh?) Also, I just get these bursts of inspiration and creative energy from time to time and if I act on them, I know something pretty good is going to come out of it, and I hate leaving a good job half-done.

*fanfare*

Take another look at the gallery - note the new entry (third from the top)

I intend to do the improved CIOPS animation tomorrow. I got a little carried away, as I tend to do when I get these creative urges, so we have some options here.

Either

1. We can use this as the new fleet logo. I can whip up a double-size version for the fleet website in about 10 minutes and use the double-size wing badges in their present form (approximately ) as headers for the wing pages.

or

2. I can add this animation to the start of the wing badges (what I intended to do in the first place, but it makes them pretty big (an extra 23 frames )

or both.

What do you think? would the badges be too big with this new addition, or not?

Later,

Guest Remo Williams

Very good work Ben! I really like the flash at the end of the loop.

I'll send you the login info soon Jamont I'm having a little trouble with the FTP access right now. Should have it all worked out by this weekend.

Thanks guys. I'd shorten the defence wing animation, but looking at it again, it's not so terrible and I'm running low on creative energy. Once the decision is made, I'll do some last-minute clean-up work (there are a couple of places where the animation is not as smooth as I'd like (I'm picky, in case you hadn't noticed by now ) then publish the final versions (or upload them directly to the sub-domain if Jamont gives me clearance.)

(btw, you don't want to know how many tricks I used or how much work that eagle landing animation was. I only had the first picture and the last (completely different sizes)

Dennymala, If you want any tips with an animation, just ask. You should be fine with Photoshop 6.5, it's more precise than the Gimp. I don't know what filters 6.5 has, but the Gimp has some cool ones that 4.0 doesn't.

Still no votes? Maybe you should set up a poll as a priority fleet thread, Nick, accompanied by a fleet-wide email notification?

edit- created the poll, get voting guys, you have until midnight next week to vote.

[ 07-09-2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Ben Zwycky ]

• 1 month later...

Welcome back sir. The news in short.

1. We need a fleet database update (you were part of this discussion before, but we haven't finished the changeover in the fleet db).

2. We're currently voting on different options for fleet and wing graphics in the Wing Logos thread.

3. I showed up and checked out Prime's suggested MP scenario framework meeting. Chavik, Dreada, and Prime fleet leaders participated, and the results of that meeting will shortly be available, but I can fill you in on details by PM if you want.

4. The website is waiting for (2.) to be finished, but is otherwise awaiting your review and is pretty well installed. When you have time, we should meet via XFire or some other Instant Messenger so I can show you how to login and administrate it.

5. CIOPS has been working on a self-paced cadet training course that begins with an MP assessment mission, continues with a few SP training missions requiring cadets to email screens to an instructor, and ends with an MP final exam. Medievh has been working on this under my direction per CIOPS information-handling/documentation mandate, and when I hear back from him regarding the outlined missions and their skill-objectives I can post those to give you a sense of what the curriculum would look like.

6. I've coordinated with a non-fleet member named TinJaw to try to produce a more printer-friendly version of the appendix, I'll be following up with him shortly, but it's laid out in Word and should be pretty helpful if it gets finished.

7. Medievh and I have been recruiting where possible when we see unaffiliated members on the servers, but it appears that this will shortly become moot since SC is about to suspend fleet applications.

8. You can see from the CIOPS Tasking and Recruiting thread in the general fleet discussions that some discussion has been had about possibly converting Prime's training academy into a general GALCOM academy. I'll let you carry that discussion forward if you choose to, but I'm preparing (5.) above for either interrim use until it becomes a reality or for normal use if it does not.

So as you can see we've been hard at work, hope you like the results.