Fleet/wing logos - long or short

Ben Zwycky

Look at the animated wing logos in the gallery of my ship's website. Link is in my sig. We have several options on which ones to use. the first question is about wing logo badges to put into signatures.

The second question is to do with the headings on the official fleet and wing webpages, wherever they end up being hosted.

[ 07-09-2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Ben Zwycky ]

Oops. Just realized this poll is for ISS members only.

According to this from here:

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Jamont:

let us vote then people.

My vote is invalid. Please subtract my vote for choice three of both questions. Sorry for the inconvenience.

But those are still killer graphics!

Thanks, Quazar, I have a little smoothing out to do on a couple of the transitions in the fleet animation (IMO anyway), but I have that well under way. I have also smoothed out the CIOPS sparking effect a little since the version in my Gallery (maybe no-one will notice the difference, but I like doing things well). Maybe if I get some more sleep, I'll work on improving the Defence text cooling animation (but maybe that's OK as it is, and I'm feeling lazy)

I don't know, if people from other fleets like them, then that means noobs might join our fleet just so they can put our animations in their sigs (part of my intention in making them )

Yes, it's primarily an internal fleet matter, but I'll let Jamont decide whether other votes are valid or not. If other people vote, then please let us know in this thread what you voted, so we can get the accurate fleet picture.

I can tell people what I voted for if they want, if they want to let that affect their decision.

Later,

[ 07-10-2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Ben Zwycky ]

OK, smoothed out versions of CIOPS, Defence and Fleet animation are up (only minor changes) I guess these are final (except for adding the fleet animation to the wing badges, if that ends up as the final consensus)

Hey friends, I'm back.

Great work on the logos Ben, I especially like the CIOPS text that comes in around the edges.

I was thinking of experimenting a little with the logo, when I get a couple ideas together I'll drop a link and you can let me know what you think--no "pressure to buy," but I thought I'd add a touch of my own and see if you liked it. If not, no big deal.

I'll give you the rundown on the last few weeks shortly, have to dash for now though.

Glad to be back!

ZM out.

It'd have to be pretty good, I put a lot of work into those things, you know.

I've smoothed out the fleet animation a little more

(straining with thoughts) must... stop... tweaking...

Anyway, after the vote, there is another question: do people want me to put in a transition back to the starting frame in each one, (whichever one it turns out to be) or just leave it?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the votes are in and since we seem to be dispensing with Intel, I have added the daggers to the CIOPS animation (I hope that meets with your approval, Zane ), and added a transition back to their beginnings. These are ready to use from the locations given below and are most likely the final versions, but might at some point be modified to deal with an issue I have been discussing with Zane over email.

Enjoy, and watch out for those file sizes!

Fleet Logo (double size) (267kb)

Defence Wing Logo (double size) (650kb!)

CIOPS Wing Logo (double size) (566kb!)

Fleet Logo (101kb)

Defence Wing Logo (289kb)

CIOPS Wing Logo (291kb)

Later,

Hey friends. Ben Z. and I have been discussing some concepts for fleet images, and after some discussion we agreed to put some options out for alternate fleet imagery and see what you guys think.

Thus far I've done a couple versions of the ISS Fleet Logo, and only one version of the CIOPS logo. All these have versions scaled to the size of the forums, and would be suitable for use on fleet documents and the fleet HQ website.

First ISS Logo, with forum scale version.

Second ISS Logo with forum scale version.

CIOPS Logo with forum scale version.

So the idea is to let us know what you think. Ben and I have been discussing the relative merits of the existing fleet logos (in the prior posts in this thread) versus some of these new concepts, and we ultimately agreed to put it to the fleet at large. Let us know what you think and we'll go forward from there.

All the best,

ZM out.

Actually Medievh, I may have put too fine a point on it. Essentially as Ben and I have been emailing one another (and Nick's been in on these conversations excepting of course the last couple while he's been on vacation) our discussion has come to a fork in the road and we thought it best to submit both the existing and the recently submitted designs to the fleet to see what everyone liked. The idea now is that the fleet members weigh in and give us their two cents worth on which of the designs they prefer.

Once this is settled, we can finish some of the graphics parts of the website, which otherwise is getting close to being finished.

So the decision is, Zane's fleet and CIOPS logos or the ones I did (Zane's can also be animated in some way).

As part of our discussion, I also suggested a third option- That of using my work as the fleet and wing logos and Zane's work (or derivatives of it) as some fleet medals to be awarded to individual commanders for oustanding performance in mp or rp or something.

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

Zane's work (or derivatives of it) as some fleet medals to be awarded to individual commanders for oustanding performance in mp or rp or something.

Would you get to "wear" those medals in your sig? If so, shouldn't they be GalCom medals ... I don't know of any military wing that has its own medals? If not, I suppose you could post them in the Fleet DataBase ... but the GalCom arguement still holds.

I've been operating under the assumption that while GALCOM has a suite of medals to cover various aspects of outstanding service, it doesn't seem beyond the pale for a fleet to design some commendations for its soldiers that are awarded and recognized only by those within that fleet. They might not be as "high" as the former kind, but it's something I think we're interested in for the purpose of adding special merits for outstanding performance in ISS-specific roles (e.g., a "special intelligence medal" or some such).

Of course if we WERE to design images for existing game medals (I don't know if those designs already exist since I haven't gotten one yet in the game ), we would of course expect to submit them to SC and the fleets at large.

Maybe you could wear them in a very little size in your avatar... ... I'm gonna do this if I will ever receive a medal and find the correct picture.....

That's an interesting thought, but this thread is getting off track, so back to the original question to my fellow fleet members.

What designs do we want to use for our fleet emblems? I intentionally didn't create a defense wing logo since I'm not the wing leader for that wing, but if anyone wanted the graphic elements I used to create the other logos, I could send them (pm me if so).

Come on guys, make a choice! I won't vote 'cause I'm biased.

We should probably start another thread (in general fleet discussions) about the galcom medal idea.

Personally, I liked your first copy Zane because it gives off more of a "you have to go through us first" feeling. But, the second copy does fit in better with Zwycky's CIOPS logo, which i did like as well. The torch felt more like a good time at the Olympics than a special forces fleet. Just my opinion, whichever we go with is fine, but thats my 2 cents.

To explain the torch:

CIOPS is an intelligence gathering agency. We do stuff that's more like what you'd see in a movie like the Bourne Identity than like what you saw in Clear and Present Danger (with the infiltration team). The latter is what Wraith fleet does. The Torch is an emblem of knowledge, and also represents a night watchman since CIOPS operates in shadows and darkness to protect GALCOM.

If it looks goofy then I'll go for a different torch graphic I think, but if you think the torch doesn't works at the level of a metaphor for the intel work, then I'm open to suggestions for another kind of emblem as long as it captures something about intelligence work (see the CIA shield for another example).

Actually, the torch is more a symbol of academic institutions (see my sig, below). For stealth and covert operations, charactertures of the old radio hero "The Phantom"* has been in vogue for quite awhile.

For example, check out the background image on this page for a reasonable facsimile. If he looks a lot like the old Mad Magazine "Spy vs Spy" ... well, I suppose it's intentional.

* Edit: In the costume he wears while roaming the cities of "civilized" men ... trenchcoat buttoned, collar up, wide-brimmed hat pulled down over glinting eyes. Yeah, he looks like "The Shadow" dressed that way ... and most of you probably know him from the comic page of newspapers. But you get the idea, I hope.

[ 07-31-2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Marvin ]

Yeah, I always thought that looked kind of cartoony though. This may be immaterial however since the CIOPS logo depends on what the fleet logo looks like. Once that matter is settled, then I can design the CIOPS logo appropriately.

Like I said, I won't vote, 'cause I'm biased. If the vote ends up even, however, then I may make a casting vote (and you know which way that'll be)