Fleet Organization

Zane_Marlowe

At Commander Jamont's request, I'm reposting an edited selection of text from a recent email I sent to Commander Zwycky on the state of ISS.

+++++ TRANSMISSION BEGINS +++++

Do we have enough people to actually staff four flight groups? For recruiting and coordination, I'd suggest that we trim ourselves down to one wing and (maybe) rename it something related to its home system defense role--maybe something like "Aegis" (the shield of Athena or Zeus, I can't remember, but it's an appropriate metaphor)--and let further wings grow organically as we gain and train recruits. We need to have an academy set up, with people from Europe and the US to train recruits when they come from those places.

My sense is that we need to let our organization reflect the fact that we're not a large organization that is mostly empty of its former members, but a tight organization that is composed of active current members. That means trimming down what's not being used, and right now we're not using everything that's in the fleet db.

As regards the Marine battalions, do we have any marine players on board?

+++++ TRANSMISSION ENDS +++++

Commander Jamont wanted me to repost this for the benefit of all ISS members so they could then comment. ISS Commanders and cadets, on behalf of Commander Jamont, please do so.

ZM out.

I would not be totally against cutting down to just CIOPS and the Defence wing without flight groups, but I'm not sure renaming is necessary, as long as we make it clear what their purposes are in our recruiting/fleet info blurb.

Sorry, I'm out here. Just some weeks running your own business can really take it's toll. Not to mention my 1yr old is having his first birthday this weekend. Not to worry I'll get caught up.

Anyway I'm all for it as long as CIOPS isn't cut. Fast attack submariners love intel.

Off to FS2004 to burn a little stress off!

BTW so are all the Bens also on the other side of the globe. Maybe it's just an aussie thing. Everybody is either Ben or Sheila depending on sexual preference:)

Rip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*twilight zone theme music*

*shudder*

...alrighty, I'm officially suffering from Ben overdose...

When it's legal, I think I'm going to change my name to something less common... I mean, there are bloody four Ben's in every class I have at school?!?! ITS RIDICULOUS!!!

The flight groups should disappearand be replaced with Defence, leaving:

Defence Wing

CIOPS (Wing)

7th Elite Force Battalion

52nd Elite Force Squadron

though I would suggest changing the marine battalion's name to 7th Orbital Marine Battalion (like Prime's 1st Orbital Marine Battalion), since that reflects their ground-based role, and encompasses more than just Elite Force Marines.

Another alternative would be the DeSylva's old rp nomenclature of 7th Shock Battalion, designating their elite status and rapid response capability, and encompassing every possible kind of marine and every possible theatre of deployment.

Zane referred to them as groundpounders in his emails with me, and I think that could be a good nickname for them (if it isn't taken by another fleet's marine contingent)

What do people think?

That's what the 52nd Elite Force Squadron is.

Personally I feel more comfortable with Orbital than Shock, less pretencious (sp?) and it has a precedent

I think I saw elite force squadron and thought elite force marines, but it makes sense that squadron would be a fighter squadron.

Does Orbital denote space force marines or just any kind of marine? Is there a point of reference for this? For what it's worth, shock troops are offensive in nature, and we're a defensive guardian fleet, so while I like the idea of calling our guys shock troops, it probably doesn't quite fit our tasking. (Shock troops would probably be Orion I'd think.) Anyways, whatever covers all classes of marine infrantry is what I'd vote for, if that Orbital Marine Battalion, then I'm for that.

Actually, the 52nd is our Fighter Squadron. I looked up the career choices and I see where there was some confusion over the "Elite Force" squadron thing earlier. We have Elite Force marines and Elite Force Pilots (which handle FC assets as opposed to planetary support pilots who use gunships generally and are planet-based instead of star-station based). So I think the 52nd Elite Force Squadron could stay as is, but it might be helpful if we modified it perhaps even more specifically to denote the squadron.

Should we call it the 52nd Elite Force Fighter Wing or something like that?

Orbital is the designation for ground forces (Prime has 1st Space Marine Battalion and 1st Orbital Marine Battalion) though I'm not sure what category marines stationed onboard vessels fall under.

Sounds like we're basically agreeing, so you guys post if you disagree, but otherwise I'm summarizing what we've said thus far.

1. Defense Wing (this is the American-English spelling for what it's worth)

2. CIOPS

3. 7th Orbital Marine Battalion

4. 52nd Elite Force Fighter Squadron (conveys both the size of squadron and the clarity of fighters over elite force marines, good enough?).

and 5. weigh in on the iss logo thread if you haven't already, the website is waiting on this!