ISS Fleet Multiplayer Board

Commander Jamont

OK, next fleet meeting is at 5 GMT on Saturday, but if I don't hear from at least two people in this thread saying they'll be there, it's going to be cancelled.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we could do it with just one other, but I would much prefer more than that, because I wanted to practice some teamwork drills.

I'm not running up my phone bill for nothing again.

I'm getting on server 3 now, I'll wait here until 11:30 (gmt 5:30pm), and I'll post when I log back off, that way we can be a little more sure about our connections hopefully and not miss each other.

Is there anyone else joining Ben and I today?

Wow, no wonder Zwycky is mopping the floor in fleet matches. I learned volumes today.

Guys, ISS is going to be training its members in advanced tactics, and I need U.S.-based players to PM me so I can setup times to conduct training maneuvers and start putting our MP team together.

This is going to be excellent! Also, look for a post from Ben Z. soon on incentives to get into ISS and participate in our fleet matches!

I think the thing we're figuring out is how to work with the system that exists, even with some of that prediction warping that's going on. There are a variety of factors that can still guarantee some success even if it's hard to target fast moving enemies. I won't begin to describe what that is (we've got to keep our edge after all ), but I will say that the thing I liked was that Ben's been doing some thinking about this and has got some excellent strategies for taking advantage of the strengths and weaknesses available in the ships and the environment.

If I understand Shingen's problem, I'd agree that the prediction problem makes it darn near impossible to hit targets at close range (~5km I think) unless you're using PTA, but, that doesn't mean that you can't create strategies that take that into account because at least it's a consistent problem for everybody and there are factors which create that effect that you can minimize or work around.

As far as NPC behavior goes, we weren't playing on an AG server, so I couldn't say anything about that change yet.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

So I take it Shingen is just making noise about not being able to enjoy multiplayer then?

Look, I love BC as much as the next guy here, but when 6-8 players on the same server are experiencing the same problems then something's up. Plain and simple. I ain't never been afraid of conflict or of being wrong. I've been knocked down enough in my life to know how to pick myself up and start again.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

If I understand Shingen's problem, I'd agree that the prediction problem makes it darn near impossible to hit targets at close range (~5km I think) unless you're using PTA, but, that doesn't mean that you can't create strategies that take that into account because at least it's a consistent problem for everybody and there are factors which create that effect that you can minimize or work around.

Well I guess I need to change my attack style then. I tend to fly in close to get beneath the PTA firing arcs. I know that once that happens, the player's ship goes crazy, jumping all over the screen. NPC ships don't do (and have never done) this, just player craft.

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

So I take it Shingen is just making noise about not being able to enjoy multiplayer then?

Look, I love BC as much as the next guy here, but when 6-8 players on the same server are experiencing the same problems then something's up. Plain and simple. I ain't never been afraid of conflict or of being wrong. I've been knocked down enough in my life to know how to pick myself up and start again.

Something that continues to confuse me about you is why you have this notion that if something's wrong, only you can point it out. I get emails, PMs etc as well as posts in Area 51. If something gets reported, I check it out. If it is a problem, it gets logged. Nothing gets swept under the carpet because thats not my style, its not my history and its not my way of doing things. You of ALL people SHOULD know that by now.

Yes, multiplayer is not the best; but compare US mp to BCM Gold. To me, thats progress. And given the size and scope of the game - again - I have to say that you're lucky it even works.

To my knowledge, mp works ok. Its not great and there are problems which need addressing, areas that need improving etc but - again - for $19.99 game, I'm not going to spend my life making it absolutely perfect. Even if it was a $50 game, it would still have problems but then there would be a greater need and incentive to go the extra mile. Most companies won't have even patched UC to any degree, given the price point. I do it because I want to; not because I have to.

I have had many multiplayer sessions and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary other than what I already know about and which is clearly documented. If you can't hit a fighter at 5km out; you need to start practicing in single player. There is a big difference between commanding a carrier and directing NPCs and actually going the legwork yourself in a real-time mp engagement. You just need to learn how to do it; in much the same way that others are doing it.

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

All I want to know is what is the "infamous" Ben Zwycky teaching his bunch?

quote:

Originally posted by Zane:

Wow, no wonder Zwycky is mopping the floor in fleet matches. I learned volumes today.

Just glad they're GALCOM...sorry Shingen!

I'm afraid that's classified level 3 and above- ISS only. I have to draw in new members somehow, you know. What better way than training them up to be the best of the best? After all, we are the elite praetorian guard.

I'm going to try to meet with Damier online either Friday or Saturday evening (a little later in the evening since he's free after 7pm Arizona time) and wanted to see who else would be available during one of those times. Sound off guys, I need to hear from you so we can do this efficiently.

OK, with the hour change, the next fleet training session will be Saturday at 6pm GMT (so that's still 12 noon for you, Zane ) and the next fleet tournament match is on Sunday. I'll have to check whether it's changing with the hour change as well.

I can probably make both of those, but I've not got a lot of time to spend at either of them (an hour I thinking) because I'm taking the GRE on Monday and that's like the SAT/ACT on crack, so I've got to get some serious study done between now and then. Of course after Monday I'm in better shape.

quote:

Originally posted by Ben Zwycky:

OK, Nick, can you make it? Anyone else?

the fleet tournament match is at 7pm GMT

I will try to make it this weekend. Teach me some good strategy because I'm very rusty! I've been far to distracted by RL lately. Time for a little escape.

Damier, I'm going to try to hit you tonight or Saturday night. I'm not sure when I might get freed up, but let's do this: if I can get time tonight, I'll meet you between 7 and 8 your time (9-10 mine), and I'll post here if I can make it.

If not, we'll try the same tomorrow, and see how that goes. How's that sound? I want to try to get you in, but I've got a lot going on this weekend, so I'm kind of in flux. Let me know what you think.