Time away

Ben Zwycky

OK, I'm back, got my copy the day before I went away.

PM mailboxes fill up far too quickly, especially as you go up in rank in your fleet

Which reminds me....

*deletes 28 PM's from box*

ahh, that's better

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My power supply went and died on me while I was talking to Marc yesterday (had to happen on a Friday evening, didn┬┤t it), so I┬┤m going to be out of the loop for a few days (am writing this on my wife┬┤s Linux system)

It┬┤s still under guarantee (the whole system is) I get a tech guy to come out and fix it within 3 working days as part of the customer support service, so it┬┤s more of a minor annoyance than anzthing else. I just hope it can be fixed quickly, and it didn┬┤t wipe any other components out on it┬┤s way down.

• 2 months later...

OK, I'm going to be away (in England and South Africa) from the 28th of January to the 21st of February next year.

I'm telling you two months in advance so that everything can be smoothly prepared for my absence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As I posted in the duel thread, my connection's very sluggish at the moment, and I've just heard from the ISP that it won't be fixed until the new year (every employee the manufacturer of the spare part required is on holiday until then) so I'm restricted to admin stuff until further notice. Hopefully I'll be ready for the match on the 8th (if it's accepted for that date)

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm off in about an hour and a half's time. Zane is in charge of general fleet admin and rp (including maintaining our EP records) and Marc and Jack in charge of fleet MP.

Later, guys.

• 8 months later...

OK, guys, I've been suffering from some major migraines the past couple of weeks, just had an eye exam that came up clean and an x-ray of my head that we'll get the results of on Monday, so I'm having to limit my time in front of the computer. Marc is in charge in the meantime, and with Prez and Jack not communicating, Zane is second in command, Krasus if Zane is unavailable.

It's not too serious, a polyp in the canal from my ear to my nose, combined with a mild infection was causing a buildup in fluid pressure and the headaches. Once the infection is treated, I may have to have a minor operation to remove it, but I'm not dying We'll see how it is in a week.

• 2 months later...

There are actually 5 or 6 polyps and inflammation throughout both sinuses, and the operation is on the 10th, so I'll be unavailable for a few days after that. Marc and Krasus will be in charge during that time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, got out of hospital yesterday, still a little groggy and taking a load of medications, so my thinking is probably not as clear as normal.

Apart from the polyps and infection, for a bit of extra spice there was also a cyst in there that they managed to remove.

A whole load of things happened while I was there, this is one of the highlights:

During my first meal after the operation (about 5 hours later), I started getting a really powerful headache, and the pain then spread to my hands, stomach and legs, extreme pins and needles everywhere, feeling like my whole body was inflating like a balloon and I was shaking uncontrollably and totally panicking, because I hadn't been warned that this could happen and had no idea what was going on. Two nurses practically carried me back to my bed and held me down while another gave me an injection they had imported from Germany for specifically this situation. The doctor who was there put his hand on my shoulder and told me the following, "look at me. Your hyperventilating is making it worse. Start breathing slowly and gently, or I'm going to put a plastic bag over your head to get you to rebreathe that carbon dioxide." That got me focused on controlling my breathing, and the shaking calmed down as the injection took effect. A cool guy, that doctor.

I'm back, though still won't be at 100% for a couple of days at least.

I think it was too much activity and too much leaning forwards too soon after the general anaesthetic (after that, they told me always to look up when walking around to avoid my head spinning, the amount of stuff they took out of my head had upset my balance, and it took a while to readjust). I have no idea what it was, but it apparently isn't that rare, since they were well prepared.

I don't want to have to go through it again, but polyps have a habit of coming back after a while, so I can't rule it out in a few years (hopefully decades )

Getting back to 100% now, my head is clear now (no headaches with a blocked nose and it no longer hurts to blow my nose), I'm going to be playing a little indoor soccer on Monday, we'll see how that goes.