Problems

Guest Hamanu

Guest Hamanu

System specs:

Athlon 500

128 MB RAM

TNT2 Ultra (Diamond Viper 770 variety)

Alternate depth-buffering and z-buffering enabled in driver options.

I played around with everything I could think of and nada. When I try to run the demo I simply get some screen resolution changes, a flash of a black screen and I'm dropped back to the desktop...

Try dissabeling that Z-buffering option on the video card options, because thats what you need to do on Geforce cards.

------------------

Commodore lordDavid

ICV Dark Saber, New America (Midae)

Satation Commander, New America

Eversor Fleet

Official BC3K Tester

Guest UberJumper

Turning off the option "Adjust Z-buffer depth to rendering depth if unequal" allowed me to get the game running. Once in the game, I see the AVI of the 3000ad logo, then it switches to a static picture of the logo (or whatever frame of the logo was on the screen when I hit escape to bypass it) that's flashing with the menu music (I guess) playing in the background. I see no options to click on, simply the demo version number in the bottom left.

Alt Tab crashes me out of the game, as does Ctrl-Esc. Ctrl-Q seems to quit the game completely.

System Spec:

Duron 650

512MB of RAM

GeForce 2 GTS 64MB (Hercules Prophet II) running Detonator 10.80 drivers.

SB Live Sound card

DirectX 8

Win98 (Original Edition)

nothing is overclocked.

I am going to switch to older detonator drivers to see if that fixes it. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance;

UberJumper

Uber, yes my frontend screen is black as well, flashing the window border with nothing to click on.

Here how I got around it:

Move your mouse pointer around the lower right quarter of your screen and if yours does what mine does when you pass over where the buttons are supposed to be, they will come up as blue spots. There's only 3 buttons... start game, options, and exit. The top one starts game, bottom one is options, and the little one to the right of the top one exits.

Once you get past this screen, everything runs fine.

Uber - Nvidia Det 6.47 and Det 6.50 drivers work fine in my experience. I have same v-card as you do. Also, turning the intro off made frontend accesability easier for me:

CONFIG>SYSTEM>INTRO>OFF

TTFN

------------------

Rear Admiral Gallion

ICV-Graf Spee, Spectre (Antis)

Executive Officer, Spectre Fleet

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand."

Official Tester, Battlecruiser Series

Leader, Team 1

[This message has been edited by Gallion (edited 03-17-2001).]

The FAQ and the demo readme files CLEARLY that you should use the official drivers for your video card. The Det3 10 drivers will NOT work. Period.

For nVidia, the 6.50 WIN9x/WINme/WIN2K and the 7.52 WIN2K drivers, have been tested and work fine.

There is NO intro. So what fix are you talking about? The AVI that briefly plays at the start of the demo is the company logo animation, not an intro.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 03-17-2001).]

Guest UberJumper

FYI Detonator 11 drivers don't work either ;->

6.72 worked just fine.

Good luck with your game. You might want to add an Un-install shortcut to your BCM program group.

UberJumper

ps. My wife asked why I was playing a game with such bad music and sound effects (the guy saying "I've got clean scan" sounds like he's saying "I've got clean skin"). Is the final version going to include improved music and sound?

Ya, Eminem is going to write lyrics for a quality soundtrack, once he's out of preschool that is.

We love you too cwm5.gif

------------------

Rear Admiral RaVeN

ICV-Merlin, Balor

Intelligence

Balor Fleet

Team 3000AD

(Sound/Music BCM/GCO/Prowler)

quote:

FYI Detonator 11 drivers don't work either ;->

Noooo!! really?

quote:

Good luck with your game. You might want to add an Un-install shortcut to your BCM program group.

Go to Control Panel

quote:

ps. My wife asked why I was playing a game with such bad music and sound effects (the guy saying "I've got clean scan" sounds like he's saying "I've got clean skin"). Is the final version going to include improved music and sound?

Don't like 'em. Go to Configuration and turn them off. Simple, eh?

When the company logo plays, it's very jumpy and the black boarder around it changes colours and sometimes it won't let me into the game unless I press esc.

Not a big deal, and I'm sure it's pretty easy to fix.

I have a Voodoo 3 and I'm using the 1.07 drivers.

Other than that, the game plays very well. I haven't tried leaving the ship yet. Can't wait.

Hi Kush, go to config and disable intro

------------------

Cmdr Jason Cloud

GCV Silver Lining, GENESIS (Moon)

26 Squadron Commander,

Prime fleet, Gamma Wing, 2nd squadron

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millennium

Guest Starwind_XGP_2001

Kush, press ALT-E to spacewalk (1st person). Check f9 in 1st person to see your space suit. Make sure you set the command ship to halt before spacewalking, or your ship will leave you and you can't get back in (except if you goto tacops and call it to fly to you). The gfx are really smooth, especially with the cloaking and explosions, and I also never realized that BCM space regions would be soooo large!

ALSO EVERYONE DOWNLOAD THE STATION DOCK PATCH AT THE STATION DOCKING THREAD IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO DOCK WITH STATIONS WITHOUT GETTING BOOTED TO WIN.

Well, now VE's BCM Demo board is pretty much exclusively for people who want to throw off possible new fans for the series. It's a disgrace.

Guest Ringer

Hopefully you will find some of my feedback helpful, if anything, I am known for my honesty.

Your comment about the drivers...

quote:

Noooo!! really?

Hence my sarcastic smiley ;-> FYI I read the readme file and the technical support help file prior to getting this game running. You may also note that in my initial post I had already identified the source of the problem (switching back to the 6.5 drivers). My system runs fine for the other games I play with it's (then) current drivers. I simply did not want to change my drivers to accomodate a game demo. Guess what, I did it anyways because I was hoping to find a gem in the rough with your game demo. While I was changing drivers I figured I'd check out the 11.00 ones as well, I'd rather advance than go backwards.

Your comment on removing your demo...

quote:

Go to Control Panel

Noooo!! really? Would that be Add/Remove programs or Accessiblity options? Other people work on computers aside from game developers and are familiar with ways to uninstall programs you know ;-> Yes I admit, I was poking a bit of fun at my whole experience, and the number of shortcuts in your program group. After all you only need 3 shorcuts per group...the game, the documentation, and uninstall (perhaps maybe editing tools or, if the game is archaic, a video/system configuration tool). Mr. Smart, your game demo does appear to have some redeeming qualities, however, at this point, I have choosen to remove it.

Your comment on the sound and music...

quote:

Don't like 'em. Go to Configuration and turn them off. Simple, eh?

I solved that by un-installing the game. My wife's feedback was off the cuff and not coached (she was working on her own computer doing her own thing). This product was a demonstration to potential (and existing) customers. It's sound, music and graphics did not help in my initial impression of the game. The 20 minutes I spent downloading the 173 MB demo was a fraction of the time I spent actually trying to get your game to run, and the time I spent flying the scenarios.

Mr. Smart, you have a storied history in the industry. Your reputation (good and bad) and your attitude are legendary. I get the sense that you like your niche market and the people that are currently part of it. Some un-solicited advice, if (and you may be happy with your current fan base) you want to attract new gamers with fresh attitudes and ideas for your game and the game universe, show at least a shadow of respect to them. I myself buy games from people who have .... less grating .... attitudes to their potential fan base.

Why am I still posting here? You are a man that sticks to your guns. While I may not like your attitude towards potential customers (and you very well may not like my attitude towards your demo) I respect your determination to complete your project and the that you speak your mind. I am interested in seeing how this turns out for you, simply to observe and learn yet another facet of the industry.

Good luck to you sir, I will be downloading and installing the next portion of your demo to see how it looks.

Thank you for your time;

UberJumper

ps. What's with revoking my posting priveledges? Find that's the best way to get the last word in? Maybe you've found that people having to register a second time with a different email address is a great way to increase your fanbase? Perhaps it was that someone is unable to see critism of their favorite game universe or is it an oversite on the CAT team's part? Jeez even after my last post I was providing info for people on your GD forums. If you hadn't lost me as a potential customer before revoking my priveledges, you may have done it with that.

Uberjumper, Ringer,

We do things a lot differently around here then what you are acustomed to at the Relic boards (Of which you are a moderator from).

First of all, reregistering is a sure sign that you are not making any friends here. And will be just cause for a permanent banning, I am sure. I know if your posting privliges were revoked, they were for a good cause.

Now, as I am also sure you have noticed, this game is no Homeworld, and is far from it. Maybe you should first, open your mind, and then look around the site for reading materials, (Faqs, Manual, etc.) and maybe your gaming will go smoother afterward.

After you are up to speed, I hope everythings works out, and you learn to enjoy the game.

And if not then I am sorry, you just couldn't play the game with an open frame of mind.

Have a nice day.

------------------

Commander Greg Miller

GCV - Sark, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Fleet XO, Wing Leader, Tsunami Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'Here cometh the storm!'

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millenium

Ironically enough, I'm finding the BCM music to be excellent...the guitar player is a heck of a lot smoother than I am =)

------------------

Commander Pioneer

ICV-Striker, Spectre (Antis)

Spectre Fleet

"If you're thinking about losing, you're already dead."

Guest Ringer

Thanks for the Advice Greg.

My aim was not to make friends, simply to provide a bit of feedback. I have already stated that I did not download this demo to critize it and that I would be following it's progress and making judgements on later builds.

Yet in spite of my stated intentions, I am accused of not having an open mind? My posting priveledges revoked? Who doesn't have an open mind again?

I've chosen, at this time to go without this game demo. Partially because I don't think it's in a state I will enjoy exploring, partly because I just don't feel like "heavy" reading right now.

Please re-evaluate your use of the term Open Mind. I assure you I am quite open to exploring this game. Please do not presume to make judgements about my state of mind based on my other community affliations.

Thank you for your time gentlemen;

UberJumper

Ringer/uberjumper,

Sorry that you are not into heavy reading,and that you don't like the way the board is run,but I have been here quite a while and that should be enough to tell anyone, I like it this way. Otherwise I would have been gone a long time ago, go check out VE and you will see what I mean, what a mess!!!

The admins, and CAT's keep this board in tune and well kept, it rarely gets out of control and when it does, it doesn't last long.

I and quite a few others are BC junkies and you will be too. Sorry that this may have left a bad taste, but in the future you will see the reasons and be thankful. I know that I am.

Good luck with the game and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

cwm11.gif

------------------

CMDR Jaguar

GCV Armageddon, Starpath (Mars)

Prime Fleet, Delta Wing

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millennium

Guest Ringer

Jaguar:

I'm sincerely happy you like this community. The loyalty of the fans here is extraordinary.

You might have noted that I said "I'm not into heavy reading right now". That implies that "at this time I do not want to read a lot of information that I am not going to retain for the next demo", not that I am not into reading lots of information in one sitting.

Also, did I state that I did not like the way this board was run? The folks that administer this board have probably found that their administration style works well for them. I do not debate that. My displeasure is aimed elsewhere.

As for me becoming part of this community, welcomed or not, that remains to be seen. While I appreciate your (and other's) enthusiasm for this game (and it's community), I feel it best that I make my own judgements about issues rather than make judgements by what other people tell me.

Thanks for the good wishes, and your time;

UberJumper

Personally I think Ringer/Uberjumper seems to have an open attitude towards the game since he seems willing to continue following its progress. Sometimes posts don't come across the way we intend...

Anyway I got a kick out of this:

quote:

Originally posted by UberJumper:

My wife asked why I was playing a game with such bad music and sound effects (the guy saying "I've got clean scan" sounds like he's saying "I've got clean skin?

It sounds like something my wife would say.

While I think the sounds/music are good, everybody is entitled to an opinion.

I think it makes people here (understandably) defensive when someone says "This sucks", or similar with no clear reason. Knowing BC's history means knowing that it has had to endure possibly more criticism than any other game in history, making it's fans that much more loyal. (I still think more people should be critisizing Daggerfall, but that's neither here nor there...)

I noticed the main gun sound at least on the Warmonger was very low quality. I don't think PTA beam weapons make any sounds yet either. Some of the sounds are fine some aren't. I am assuming however that some of this stuff is _placeholder fx_ and will be replaced. I've already noticed there are alot more sounds in general than BC3K and that is a very good thing. I wonder if other races have different sound fx for their hardware and different voices for their personel which is obviously not human =) If not it would simply KICK ASS if we could put in our own sounds and fully customize our own audio experience! biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Kurt Meyer (edited 03-20-2001).]