Hyperdrive

Kurt Meyer

I'm having some problems with the hyperdrive unit cwm6.gif For some reason I can only hyperspace to a navigation object. No matter what mode I am in I can't hyperspace to a station or ship or general direction manually or on auto. Looks like the AI is doing it though. Any advice?

And the hyperdrive is designed only to take you to a specific target. You can't just hyperdrive out in any direction. It's kinda like in Star Trek, you need the co-ordinates of where you're warping to before you can warp.

When you choose a target, the navigational officer computes the jump profile. As Derek said, if the target is too close, he can't compute the profile.

It was the range I was too close cwm1.gif

Now that I have the hyperdrive figured out (Least on the Warmonger) I really like the realism of it. The distance being pre-calculated based on your ship size and the size of the target is cool.

This system will balance nicely and carry over to GCO I would imagine. With these larger space regions and with this hyperdrive realism there is definantly more room for strategy as there can be serious repercussion for your actions when using it.

Some people are already complaining it takes too long to get places but I think that it's much better this way because it makes each ships different speeds and engine settings more of a factor. You could always plot a course that takes you further away from your target so that you could be far enough to use the hyperdrive. That would still be quicker than flying on impulse or standard engines in most cases. So it does increase the realism and add strategy. I like this system alot. The visual aspects are also nice especially the star streaks when you really get moving. The static display and ETA on ships in hyperspace on the CVD is also a very nice touch.

I only have one question at this point. As the Navigation officer learns and becomes more skilled does this in effect reduce the min range required to plot the jump?

[This message has been edited by Kurt Meyer (edited 03-19-2001).]

I was wondering if someone could please answer the question I had above about the Navigation officer and experience.

The more I play the demo the more questions I seem to have I'm sorry. I was also wondering about upgrades. Will some Hyperdrive upgrades in effect shorten the distance required for the jump and or just reduce recharge times?

Also while I had the Hyperdrive engaged today I decided to try and turn the ship cwm6.gif It definantly did turn but she kept on going right where I wanted it to. That's almost a little Newtonian physics right there.

[This message has been edited by Kurt Meyer (edited 03-20-2001).]

Guest dnoyeB!

Yes, I too am able to manipulate the ship as it is in hyperjump. I can turn a/p off, and bring it to a complete stop. Then subsequently, it will still come out of hyperjump. Its hard to know whats going on there.

Can I emerge from a HJ and be at a complete stop? being that it usually speeds up the ship when im in HJ?

Seems like if im accelerating in HJ I should not be able to change the direction of the ship. Again, im new and don't know how HJ is supposed to be implemented, but I agree that I had more control than I expected during HJ.

Though the instruments changed, the ship didnt actually seem to come out of HJ though it showed speed 0, untill about 10 seconds later, when it was timed to.