BCM Demo - What I think!

Supreme Cmdr

I liked the demo, but I want the full game.

At this point, I'd like to know that work is still going full steam ahead on the full game. I check the version control file daily to see if the terrain engine has been installed yet. I honestly don't give a damn about how solid the demo becomes. I wan't the full game to have solid code.

The thing about this game is that the game play is deeper than the average game. That's what I want, and NO demo of this game is going to give me the full experience.

I say learn what you can that's useful about the demo experience. Find a way to get that z-buffer thing figured out. (I'm a Voodoo chile so it doesn't really affect me) Get the new terrain in there, multiplayer, get all that solid and then worry about getting the demo rock solid.

It's going to be all good, but the wait is killing me. cwm13.gif

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally post by Kush

I liked the demo, but I want the full game.

At this point, I'd like to know that work is still going full steam ahead on the full game. I check the version control file daily to see if the terrain engine has been installed yet. I honestly don't give a damn about how solid the demo becomes. I wan't the full game to have solid code.

The thing about this game is that the game play is deeper than the average game. That's what I want, and NO demo of this game is going to give me the full experience.

I say learn what you can that's useful about the demo experience. Find a way to get that z-buffer thing figured out. (I'm a Voodoo chile so it doesn't really affect me) Get the new terrain in there, multiplayer, get all that solid and then worry about getting the demo rock solid.

cwm13.gif Did you miss this?

quote:

From the demo readme

The demo is based on BCM Beta code and does have issues related to operation etc.

The demo uses the same code as the current beta for when it was released. I highly doubt that you'll see any change in the VCF you can access until the next demo is released. That does not indicate that there is no further testing in progress, just that you don't have access to the beta testing information. That new demo will be based on the then current beta just like this one and you'll see a new VCF then too.

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

GCV Falcon, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/S.O.G.

Hard, Fast, Furious... FIRST!

Official BCM Beta Tester Team-5 Co-Leader

[This message has been edited by Tyrn (edited 03-20-2001).]

Guest Scorpion

Hi, I'm new. I had read some stuff about this game on a gaming site and figured "Well, it certainly sounds cool, guess I'll DL it and see." It took me 9hrs on my 56k but I finally got the HC version. After a few tweaks to me geforce cards z-buffer I was playing. My thoughts:

1. That little animation that reads 3000ad needs updating. Little thing I know, but it had an impact on me.

2. The HUD is very useful. It's just I don't feel like I'm commanding a huge cruiser. I have thought about this and know there is no way to fix this without restricting the view. Again, just an observation.

3. The graphics arn't up to par with games like Mechwarrior 4 (This is new newest game I own) but I think they are okay. They don't detract from the play to me, but just seem behind the current technology curve.

4. Depth, man is it deep. Very deep. I'm still figuring out how to do stuff but I think I got most of it down. I can win both missions every time. With no parts of my ship going below 96%. I like the way the menues were done. I can get at them quick and take full advantage of them. I know this has already been addressed but it sure "looks" like the game is paused when you navigate the menue in the game.

5. I like the AI. They are tough, but not too tough. I like this because I am never breaking a sweat trying to kill one. This gives me the time and clear thought to use the menues to order my other assets around. I like this ALOT.

6. I like hearing from my crew members. One thing though. The Gammulans(sp?) seem too cartoonish. They just don't instill fear in me. Are any of the races in the game going to be insect like, or maybe reptile like. I don't like humanoid aliens (ala star trek).

Will the voices be diffrent for diffrent races? Guess what I'm getting at is will each race have it's own personality? Will the marines, fighters, vehicles, stations, starships, trading vessels, and technology be different?

7. I can't think of anything else cwm43.gif

Conclusion: I like it. I can't wait to get my hands on the entire galaxy. If this is going to be as cool and all inclusive as I think/hope, this may very well be the last game I ever buy. Why "Play a game" when you can "Live an alternate reality?"

I know most of the stuff is already locked down, I am merely saying what I think of the game. Take any game play suggestions I made as illustrations to convey my thoughts better. I won't complain if you add any of them though. cwm1.gif

------------------

A scorpion must grab it's prey before it can strike with it's Tail. Therefore, be concerned with the pincers, then the tail. Why fear artillery, when there are no enemy troops to keep you within it's range?

Guest Steel Rockhard

**** This is not a flame*****

Preface: I think it is very cool that a member of a very busy development team would take the time to read and respond to gamers messages. Great times we live in! Good show 3000AD.

My post:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

So the demo DID do something. Saved you some money. I'd rather you didn't buy the game, than have you buy the game and complain about it. Thats always the issues I try to avoid and is the primary reason I am releasing the demo in episodes.

-- Did I say the demo DIDN't do anything?

-- What was the last thing I said in my post? Kurt's response made me feel better, this one made me feel worse. I asked not to be written off and not to get the "Well, don't buy the game then" answer and what do I get? Eeeek! From the creator no less! Everyone else gives me good responses (Again, thanks Kurt) and the developer tells me to take a long walk.

Whats curious to me is that, you took the time to write that lengthy response, without saying WHAT was wrong with the demo. Oh well. I guess some things are more important than others.

-- Did you read my post (yes. I know you've got to be as busy as a one armed man... etc)? It may have been a bit 'between the lines' but I'm pretty sure I made it fairly clear that my problem with the demo was THE DEMO. Again, I feel the demo *demonstrated weaknesses* (all the stuff people will pick on it for -- without really giving the game a fair shake) without *demonstrating strengths* (all the stuff people will miss because they just aren't as obvious.) I saw quite a few strengths... but I'll be damed if I didn't have to dig to get at 'em! As I said in my first post -- IMHO-- not a good thing for a *Demo*.

You sound upset with me because your game is important to me. Shouldn't we be on the same side on this one? And I write because I enjoy corresponding with others who share common interests -- and to share my views; some more palatable than others. *You asked* for my feedback. Now you don't want it?

...and comparing BCM demo to Daikatana is just laughable.

-- Again... did you read my post? I can see how you might take this as a poke though. I resectfully withdraw the statement. Note to self -- Remember: the mention of Daikatana in a massage to a developer will always put them on the defensive and so haze their mind with hate that they will ignore any and all comments that follow : P

Now. If you were expecting any other response, I'm sorry to disappoint you. At the end of the day, its my game and its your money. As a gamer, you have a choice. Use it.

-- Once again... my post; did you read it? And why can't it be *our* game? I'd like to think we can all play, even if it is your ball. You invited me to play by publicly releasing a demo, right?

Good luck finding a game like BCM. You're going to need it.

-- I know. That's why I'm writing this response. I am quite interested in BC: M because it looks to be *one of a kind*. If I didn't care, I wouldn't have wasted the last 10 minutes. Did I just waste the last 10 minuters (Update: now 15 after a quick proofread)?

TTFN

--- Interesting that you chose "TTFN" because, after reading your post, I expected an AMF. I *hope* it's TTFN. I want nothing more than to see you succeed -- for totally selfish reasons!!! If I tell you *I think* your demo is a shot in the foot, I might not expect you to scream for a doctor... but at least look at your friggin' foot, man.

I'm on your side, even if it isn't obviouse. Your first impression (Demo, if you will) of me is that I'm just another "Joe Gamer" who doesn't know his ******* from his elbo. Understand that I have been in development for no less than 32 years and am pretty layered in my complexity -- and, yes, because of this, understandably buggy at times. I bet if you just got past your initial impression, you'd be pretty impressed with my depth.

You hate me, don't you?

See how important a demo is? : )

Here's wishing you the best with BC: M -- and all that follow!

And please remember -- as you well know -- your customer face is as important as your product. If they really want to get you, they most likely will. Just smile and enjoy watching them try. I say this because the last few things I've read from you (Soapbox, your respose to my post -- demo readme and FAQ too?) sounded a bit mean-spirited. Anyway, much luck to you and yours. I'm off to try your demo again.

Steel Rockard: I have no further comment.

Kush:

quote:

I check the version control file daily to see if the terrain engine has been installed yet.

The VCF only refers to versions already on release to testers or incoming. It does not reflect my internal version. The new terrain engine has been working for some time now, but has not yet been released to the external beta team.

quote:

Get the new terrain in there, multiplayer, get all that solid and then worry about getting the demo rock solid.

Do me a favor. Please REFRAIN from telling us what to do. When you can't help yourself, take a deep breath and sit on your fingers.

Tyrn already addressed most of your post, but I just want to add that the demos WILL use whatever kernel is released at the time. If you spent your time READING the BCM demo readme, you won't waste your time typing up inconsequential and irrelevant stuff.

Did half of you even read the readme, or even see that most of the download pages clearly said that this was a beta? Each episode will be current, and Derek said he will release them according to him releasing new Beta versions to the outside.

Now what that means (if you don't already get the picture) is that each episode should run smoother than the last one, right until the game is released (estimated release date: May 7). So STOP COMPLAINING!! IT'S SO DAMN ANNOYING!!

Also, remember that Derek has priorities. Graphics, Music, and Icons aren't as important as bugs and glitches.

Which would you rather have: a game that looks sooooo dope (Cutting Edge, how the F*#% did they do that graphics, sound, and AI, and customizable options), but doesn't work on almost any machine, or a game with Good Graphics (7.5/10 in my opinion), Great Gameplay, Smooth Operation, Nice AI, 16 player multiplayer (not a big number, but not bad either) and actually working on 90 percent or more machines?

Now, although this is such a limited demo (a small piece of an immensely huge pie), I personally know as a Beta Tester (I beta test for AOL, but i only learned about the bc series in January, and missed the test deadline :-() that the final product is always hundreds of times better than any Demo or Beta. It usually contains updated stuff to the whole product, and is obviously smoother.

The last thing I would like to say is that anyone who wants this game to turn out great in the end, should at least try to send in glitches, bugs, and other misc. problems and/or comments about the technical side of the software.

Keep up the good work Derek, The 3000AD Team, Beta Testers, and All Demo Players that take the time to report problems in a good fashion instead of flames!!!! I've already pre-ordered the game from eb games!

cwm7.gif

------------------

Commander Alec Nova (Terran/Mercenary)

UCV Dark Outlaw (Garid Class), Pixan Raider Starstation (Lennen)

-Independent Outlaw/Mercenary/Assasin For Hire

Will take most jobs from Covert-Ops, and Assasination,

to Recon, Trading, and Security Detail. Will Work for any Race/Caste/

Fleet, if you've got the cash. "Always want a challenge....."

"To me, luck is useless in life; especially if you've

got a bigger gun than the guy next to you."

Guest Steel Rockhard

Upon review, I realize I'm getting the wrong answers because I'm asking the wrong questions. Here's the question I should have asked way back:

Why release a demo based on beta code?

I understand this reflects the present state of the game... but isn't publicly released beta code a *public beta test* and not a demo?

To rephrase an earlier comment, I feel as a demo BC: M is not doing a good job of showing the capabilities of the finished product (or is it?) As a demonstration version of the game, it does more harm than good. As a public beta test, it shows a game in progress with a lot of potential and would spark more interest. MHO.

Remember, the topic here is "BCM Demo - What I Think!" If the topic were "BCM - What I Think?" my answer would be "Not too shabby! Can't wait to see it when it's done!"

Do you guys see what I'm saying? I know I'm fussing over semantics but, to me, "Beta" and "Demo" change how I'm going to react to missing elements, graphical glitches, system crashes, etc.

I know it's probably a no-no to say this but, if you're interested, check out the Operation Flashpoint demo. Wow. And note that the Readme clearly states that the demo does not necessarily represent the finished product. I'm not trying to compare the games (duh), just my reaction to each demo.

Sorry.

On a personal note: I'll take the Commander's response to my last post as a "Thanks for your comments... and for taking interest in my game."

You're welcome.

Steel Rockhard ENOUGH about the code already, jeez, just play and enjoy, or not, whatever, stop posting about if its the demo or the beta or whatever the #%*@ it is. Don't mean it as an insult but this post is already 2 pages long and most of it is just same thing over and OVER again.

Guest Steel Rockhard

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Steel Rockhard ENOUGH about the code already, jeez, just play and enjoy, or not, whatever, stop posting about if its the demo or the beta or whatever the #%*@ it is. Don't mean it as an insult but this post is already 2 pages long and most of it is just same thing over and OVER again.

(by the way it's the 3rd time I post this, for some reason it's just not appearing in the thread)I hate this, Sorry everyone for the clutter.

[This message has been edited by Soback (edited 03-21-2001).]

OK.

Woah woah woah!

I didn't mean to sound like I was telling you guys what to do.

What I was trying to get across in my post was that people are going to make a million suggestions about the demo but it's the game we all really want. Now that I re- read my post it may sound a little abrupt, but it wasn't meant to be. cwm17.gif

I know what the demo is based on. I know that the VTF is for the beta testers. I know you have your internal version. What I was trying to get across is that... I'm really excited about this GAME! cwm28.gif

And no matter how excited I am, no matter how much I would love you to release it tomorrow, don't listen to me! Do whatever you need to do. Take as long as you have to. Everyone here, we'll survive. cwm13.gif

Really. We will.

[This message has been edited by Kush (edited 03-21-2001).] cwm30.gif

[This message has been edited by Kush (edited 03-21-2001).]

quote:

On a personal note: I'll take the Commander's response to my last post as a "Thanks for your comments... and for taking interest in my game."

No. It means SFTU already - I'm tired of reading your incessant sh*t.

Since the tame version wasn't good enough for you, there's the version you wanted.

I have a feeling that your next response is going to get you banned.

Guest Steel Rockhard

Aramike, thanks for the response. Good info. Can't say more cuz I'm not sure if this will post. If it does, thanks for answering all my questions.

Played the demo to death. Love every bit of it smile.gif

Just out of curiosity, are there gonna be any tools released for mod writing? I do a fair bit of 3d work and would love to have a play round with some of the models.

Use the BC-Studio. I'm not sure, but I think it comes with the demo.

Oh, and btw, there's also the GBS scripting system in case you want to script your own scenarios. There's a forum in this site dedicated to GBS discussion. Check it out, but be aware that it's officially unsupported.

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

[This message has been edited by Hector Socas Navarro (edited 03-23-2001).]

Guest Rukker

I know this is beta code and that the demo doesn't include all the things by far, but I still have a small question that will give me the answer the quickest way if I post it (instead of browsing through version control files, etc):

In the demo, docking of craft is like in BC3K. One of the features of BCM is manual docking like in the Elite days. Will this still be included??

I ask this because in the current models I don't see any docking shafts...

Also, will there be navigational strobes (flashing lights) on the models? In BC3K the code was there, but it was disabled.

Sorry if these questions have been discussed already, but my job is killing me and the little time I have left I rather spend on getting my answers quickly, but even more playing the demo!!

Good work so far!!!

------------------

Rukker -

"You scored that kill my ass! My starship just fell apart!!"

Guest Macon De'Witt

What do I think? On the one hand  droooool, Im really enjoying a taste of whats to come. Then again Im think damit not again! The game is still unstable and crashes more often than it should, not to mention it seems to lose a sense of itself during heavy action (IE long after a battle is over Im hearing explosions and receiving battle messages. Im a die hard fan and I own the first two so what the hell Ill probably own this one too Im just hoping Ill be able to actually play the game rather than gaze lustfully at it on the self. I cant wait to see the real meat and potatoes of the game like planetary opps and first person and of course multiplier . I also think I dont give a damn if the physics ARE realistic, but it would be nice if they felt realistic meaning if there was a few second (based on mass) hesitation before the ship accepted a new throttle input then it would feel more like the computer was compensating. I think the icons overall are a good idea! I think they could be a bit more informative (change color if the systems damaged) but it helps be know what each tape is for and thats a good thing! Lastly I think the transporter chief on my ship is going out the airlock! If he cant figure out a way to beam my marines aboard and enemy ship when they can come on board mine his @$$ is toast!

quote:

What do I think? On the one hand ? droooool, I?m really enjoying a taste of what?s to come. Then again I?m think damit not again! The game is still unstable and crashes more often than it should,

Remember that it's still beta code. Actually, the only known fatal crash of the game has just been found and squeezed. This is probably the one you have been experiencing, otherwise it's most likely a configuration problem in your system (check the FAQ, etc). So add the /d1 option to your shortcut, as explained in some other thread, and the game should run crash-free. We testers are having a hard time to crash it, and trust me when I tell you that it's definitely 1.e6 times more stable than the two earlier titles.

quote:

not to mention it seems to lose a sense of itself during heavy action (IE long after a battle is over I?m hearing explosions and receiving battle messages.

If that's related to low frame-rates, you should be aware that you are playing a non-optimized debug version of the game. The release version contains heavy optimizations that will hopefully make it run faster. Also, I don't know your system specs, but BCM is not targeted for slow machines.

quote:

I?m a die hard fan and I own the first two so what the hell Ill probably own this one too I?m just hoping I?ll be able to actually play the game rather than gaze lustfully at it on the self. I can?t wait to see the real meat and potatoes of the game like planetary opps and first person and of course multiplier .

Hang in there and you won't be disappointed.

quote:

Lastly I think the transporter chief on my ship is going out the airlock! If he cant figure out a way to beam my marines aboard and enemy ship when they can come on board mine his @$$ is toast!

Derek has some cool plans for this, but it's probably not gonna make it in time for the release. Boarding other ships is a feature that will hopefully be implemented in a patch shortly after the game release. But again, this has been explained somewhere else.

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

Guest Mythandryll

Just like to pass on the some comments on the demo. I was part of the beta team, but because of school (c++, DBMS and Oracle stuff) I couldn't keep up with it, as well had some hardware changes to my computer, and I didn't want to harass Derek for a new code. The good news is that I now have a 1000 MHZ T-Bird and A G-Force 2 GTS and the demo runs exceptionally smooth anywhere between (35-40 FPS in full combat to 90-120 FPS during normal space flight) @ 1027x768 32 bit. Adding more RAM (from 256 to 384 gave me about 10 FPS increase accross the board. Anyway I am rambling so here my thoughts:

-Love the new Perscan Screen and the Tacops menus

-Laser beams are amazing (really enjoy watching the battle unfold via tac-ops screen and see the various weapons being deployed)

-kind of wish the ship collision sound was more earth shaking (bout my only complaint) although I know some of the sounds are not finalized.

-can't wait to see the new terrain engine, and the next demo parts to see how the rest of the game has progressed.

Great job Derek and team, and the beta testers of course, just placed my order at EB World May is just around the corner.

------------------

The wise man who said that the pen was mightier than the sword, never rode in this Battlecruiser: Commander Mythandryll Atreidies, GCV Katana

SC-Thanks for the demo, After my motherboard fried I had to get a new computer, If you have any time at all drop me a e-mail and let me know if I can rejoin the beta. Had no trouble with the demo. See you all out there smile.gif">....<P>

------------------

Cmdr. Maxamillian (MAX)

GCV-Dreadnaught, GALCOMHQ (Earth)

G2 Intelligence/Security; G3 Tactics (Acting)-Prime Fleet

Hey i've been around the boards and looking at all the folders in the bcm demo directrory and have some cool stuff to do. Be sure to add as you like.

Here it is:

1: Try BCStudio.exe (its in the folder where you install the demo, usually "C:Program Files3000adBattlecruiser Millennium Demo"). You can view the 3d models adnd rotate them and stuff. You can even map ship textures onto the Personel Models (be sure to not save the files or change them back before using bcm; OR ELSE POSSIBLE ERRORS).

2: Listen to your own MP3s! If you've got some mp3 files you'd rather hear than the regular in-game music, copy them to the soundfxmusic subdirectory of your BCM demo folder, and then you can hear them by changing the in-game song # (alt-, or alt-.).

------------------

Commander Alec Nova (Terran/Mercenary)

UCV Dark Outlaw (SpaceStar Class), Pixan Raider Starstation (Lennen)

-Independent Outlaw/Mercenary/Assasin For Hire

Will take most jobs from Covert-Ops, and Assasination,

to Recon, Trading, and Security Detail. Will Work for any Race/Caste/

Fleet, if you've got the cash. "Always want a challenge....."

"To me, luck is useless in life; especially if you've

got a bigger gun than the guy next to you."

Guest Macon De'Witt

I still think the ship needs a rear view mirror so I can hang shrunken insurgent heads from it ....

[This message has been edited by Macon De'Witt (edited 03-25-2001).]