BCM Demo - What I think!

Supreme Cmdr

Guess which sim is still installed on my computer after 2yrs. Not Freespace 2, not I-War. Oh thats it! BC3000AD.

The B.C.M Demo is better. great work guys.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have to say that I reckon that BCM is a pretty major upgrade to an already great game. The new features on the Demo like the on screen Icons are no problems, the mission coming up in the mission control part of the comlink instead of the normal com is great. Great graphics, game physics. Only miss on the demo was turnig off the Z buffer (wow that was hard)I actually read the files for installing the game so had no problems installing and running it. Looking forward to the next episode of the demo and the full version.

Guest Gaidal

Well I just played a little bit but from a newbie to Battlecruiser, here are a few quick thoughts.

1) I agree with whoever said that the sheer number of acronyms is a bit daunting. But that comes with the territority, and considering the depth of this game, I'm looking forward to learning them!

2) Models and scale are AWESOME!

OK so I haven't played much. *g* I love the possibilities this game has so I'll be sure to post a more extended "review" later on.

I think I have found some unusual issues in the demo (unless someone else has already posted about them and I didn't notice).

First issue: Cloaking

Does the Warmonger have a cloaking device? If not, then I asked a silly question. If so, I can't cloak the ship. I just press SHIFT C, and nothing happens.

Second Issue: Docking

Is the Warmonger allowed to dock with Multinational Trading stations? If not, then I asked a silly question (again). If so, I can't dock with it. It just says "Invalid Dock Target".

Third Issue: Fleet Command and Control

Does Scenario 1 allow FC&C? If so, then there might be a problem. If not, then there might be two problems.

I click on the FC&C button at the start of the scenario, and it tells me that I don't have the rank. Then, I run the demo in debug mode (to avoid the crashes) When I use the Zoom To button to zoom in on an Alpha fighter and select it, the Orders menu appears, and the FC&C button works as well. Then I zoom in on Alderon Station, and I can give orders to it as well. That's the small issue.

The big issue is that I can also give orders to the Gammulan Station! I successfully ordered Salient to launch a transport and recall it, then I ordered it to shut down its weapons and launch systems, which it did. I just strolled in with my Warmonger and captured the station without being fired upon!

Is this normal for the debug mode?

[ 06-04-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

Another possible issue: Missiles.

When I fire a missile at a vessel that is within acquisition range, and my ship is travelling at a slow speed, the missile detonates itself before it reaches the target's vicinity, even when the target is a stationary object.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

You said "acquisition range." You can gain lock on any target pretty far away, but until the label in the HUD changes to "LOCK" the missile is just too far away to fire correctly. Acquisition range is just when the missile can "see" the target.

If that little label in the HUD says "LOCK" and you fire, but still no hit, then the target could have:

Shot the missile down with a PTA laser or missile (stations, usually; PTA beams are hard to see)

Moved out of range (if the target is mobile)

Used ECM until the missile exhausted itself trying to chase the target, thus self-detonating

...I hope that answered your question. If none of the above seems apparent, then, I don't know what is wrong with your missiles. Perhaps you can return your missiles to get a refund.

[ 06-05-2001: Message edited by: Delgard ]

quote:

Originally posted by Delgard:

Shot the missile down with a PTA laser or missile (stations, usually; PTA beams are hard to see)

I think Delgard is probably right here. If you say you were firing at a stationary target I'm guessing you were shooting at a starstation or ODS system (although they are not completely stationary, they're orbiting). The laser shots are often hard to see and stations have plenty of turrets to try and shoot down your missiles (trust me, I learned this the hard way).

quote:

Perhaps you can return your missiles to get a refund.

LOL!!

Guest emphyrio

I really like the way you get to see how your launched missile is doing on the bridge, is there a way to switch between launched missiles?

Only some missiles (Vagrants, Ralixes, and Questors, I believe) have telemetry data.

And no, I don't think you can switch between them, though I might be wrong.

I fired the missiles when the HUD said "Lock" and they weren't destroyed by PTA fire because they detonated outside of the station's weapons range. Not only that, but if my ship is moving at a slow speed, so does the missile. In some cases, it detonates less than ten kilometres from my position about twenty seconds after launch.

quote:

Only some missiles (Vagrants, Ralixes, and Questors, I believe) have telemetry data.

That would be missiles with a build in video camera (/V designated missiles)

quote:

And no, I don't think you can switch between them, though I might be wrong.

I think he means cycling through in-flight missiles. In which case, missiles can be selected in the Tacscan and observed in the F10 cam view, just like any other object.

quote:

Not only that, but if my ship is moving at a slow speed, so does the missile. In some cases, it detonates less than ten kilometres from my position about twenty seconds after launch.

Read the above posts again

*goes back a couple posts and posts his thoughts on the game* I was amazed SC! This looks like a GREAT game, it really puts alot of the space sims and trading games I've played to shame (if it was made after 1985, and is a space sim, chances are I've played it ) I loved the models too! Some of the ship designs are very creative. Anyways responding to the original question of what was your favorite thing to do in the demo. Well, in instant action 2, I captured all of the stations (except the neutral one) and ordered all of the carriers and cruisers out to fight each other in X3 :-) It was quite amazing, like a scene from a movie. Okay, I'm done. Back to BCM :-)