Misc. Tech Issues

aramike

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

OK, the problem with the assert error has been found and fixed. This fix will also be in the E2 demo.

HURRAY!!!!!

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

GCV Falcon, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/S.O.G.

Hard, Fast, Furious... FIRST!

Official BCM Beta Tester Team-5 Co-Leader

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chrysaeor

First off, great demo, prelude to a great game. Looking forward to the following episodes.

I did notice some odd behavior when going into first person mode. When exiting first person mode using the "/" key (switch to targeted ship) the commander disappears but does not regain control of the CC. However, using Alt-D, boarding and return to the bridge are instantaneous.

I probably goofed somewhere, but I've found the error persists every time I attempt to reboard using the slash.

Oh...forgot to add: the camera centers on the CC and refuses to recenter on any other object, and the controls maintain the "spacewalk scheme." The commander even grunts from time to time as though bumping into the CC, though he's nowhere to be seen.

[This message has been edited by Chrysaeor (edited 03-23-2001).]

Guest Silencer

Hi SC

I had the same problem as CMDR Nova and DnoyeB.

adding /d1 fixed it. Have played it for 5 hours without a single crash! Excellent.

have a few questions,

1. when in C&C, you order the captured station to return all craft (which you had send out from the station to defend the station), they don't come available anymore after docking.

even after several hours of refitting and repairs, even if it wasn't necessary, you cannot see them anymore in the list. bug?

2. is it possible to capture cargoboxes with your carrier/cruiser with a tractor beam and get it into the ship? (not using a shuttle)

3. I have noticed that sometimes fighters, who have been given a halt command, just stay at that halt command, drifting in space, even when given other orders, they still keep having the order "halt".

4. is it possible to capture other enemy fighters, shuttles? (when you lost some of your own and have free fighter/shuttles bays), without going to a starbase.

(ie tractor a dissabled fighter into your bay. --> I know you can with your own dissabled fighters).

thanx in advance,

Silencer

specs:

Intel 815EEA board

PIII 866

256 RAM

Geforce 2 ultra (3D Prophet II ULTRA) , 6.50 driver

Fresh install of Win ME

Quantum 20GB ATA5

SBlive! soundcard.

quote:

Originally posted by Silencer:

1. when in C&C, you order the captured station to return all craft (which you had send out from the station to defend the station), they don't come available anymore after docking.

even after several hours of refitting and repairs, even if it wasn't necessary, you cannot see them anymore in the list. bug?

Alex, I'll pass on that one and take tractor beams for 200... smile.gif

quote:

2. is it possible to capture cargoboxes with your carrier/cruiser with a tractor beam and get it into the ship? (not using a shuttle)

In short, no. The question you must ask yourself is this: Do I want to get caught with my pants (shields) down when a BC decloaks next to my CC? wink.gif

quote:

3. I have noticed that sometimes fighters, who have been given a halt command, just stay at that halt command, drifting in space, even when given other orders, they still keep having the order "halt".

Two things can cause this: Dead pilots and damaged craft. Terribly unfortunate but not an impossibility.

quote:

4. is it possible to capture other enemy fighters, shuttles? (when you lost some of your own and have free fighter/shuttles bays), without going to a starbase.

(ie tractor a dissabled fighter into your bay. --> I know you can with your own dissabled fighters).

Nope, you can't replace your own support craft with captured ships.

------------------

Commander Tyrn Marcel

GCV Falcon, Wraith HQ (Lyrius)

Wing Leader - Wraith Fleet/S.O.G.

Hard, Fast, Furious... FIRST!

Official BCM Beta Tester Team-5 Co-Leader

We're not taking bug reports nor QA sessions on the demo. Just play and have fun. If the other Beta testers want to chime in, thats fine. But please don't direct questions at me, hoping that I'm going to respond - as I probably won't.

Thanks

Guest Silencer

thanx for the answers.

on that halt command, they where on full health. They hadn't yet met any opposition.

sc, I'm playing and having fun. I have been waiting this super game since I first played it in 95 and afterwards version 2.0.

thnx

S.

Hey, SC,

That's a very important point you make about the difference between us demo guys and your beta team -- one I didn't pick up on right away and so got some posts deleted smile.gif

Just a thought...it might be worthwhile having that little tidbit up at the top of the various threads to clarify their purpose, just so newcomers see it and are *clear* that these aren't meant to be your "report-any-and-all-broken-features" type deal.

Or might that confuse them into not reporting any problems at all?

Or am I just dense and the only one (well, besides one or two others out of everyone else here who made the same mistake) who overlooked that distinction?

Ah well. My $0.02, take it or leave it.

------------------

Cmdr Alan Mach

GCV Cavanagh

• 1 month later...
Guest Apollyon

Hallo

I have been having some problems with the targeting system in the BCM demo. I just started using the /d1 assertion, but they happened before I did that too. Sometimes when I just start out a mission I am unable to target navigation objects in the region. Then sometimes that changes to where I can only target navigation objects (i.e. no craft/stations... it's really annoying trying to take a station when you can't tell how much damage it has taken ) And I think that may be related to the problem I've been having with the jump gates. I was playing the second IA game and I couldn't jump anywhere because I couldn't target the navigation objects. I have some screenshots of my CC half in/half out of a jumpgate. Is there something I'm missing or is anybody else getting this problem too? If this is just a problem with the demo that's cool.

Only 23 more days till the game ships!!!!

quote:

Is there something I'm missing

Yes. Read the manual.

The NID and TACSCAN both handle different targets. If the NID is the current system in scope, those are the only targets that you will be able to select. The current in scope system is the one that is highlighted.

Ok, I have kinda of a problem too, if I play the game without the /d1 parameter, everything is peachy except after 30-40 minutes goes on and the game just crashes. If I play with the /d1 parameter, when I switch to external views ex.F9 or F10, there's a whole bunch of text, and it's hard to look through it all to see what's going on, also the docking to the station distance is messed up, I can basically dock from pretty much anywhere. Is there a way to get rid of all that text, or any other way I can play without /d1 so that the game wouldn't crash after some time goes by?

One more thing, in the second scenario (havn't tried it in the first), if I send my AE to the shuttle and launch, after the screen switches to the shuttle view the game just hangs.

quote:

The /d param is for debugging. Thats what produces the text. Its a demo. Live with it.

And no, you cannot run the demo without it.

That would be my misunderstanding there then. That's what comes from not actually checking out the demo myself

• 2 weeks later...

Shall we try find a solution to this?

A dogfight occurs. A space object, from fighters and shuttles to station-sized, explodes.

If there is anything within the blast radius, I'm looking at my windows desktop within a couple seconds.......

This is the only joy-spoiler for me, but it does that job well

My problem appears

without "/d",

with "/d1",

"/d2",

"/d3",

and "/d4".

In fact it also happened when I tried /d4 /w, not that I'm very probable to do that again. (And I think SC will let that stay unsupported, since he's got his wits around)

Dunno what you're going on about. If the game crashes after an explosion, its a problem and not a feature.

.....and you haven't even posted your system specs yet.

To run the demo, you MUST be using either /d1 or above, in the shortcut - or when the game needs to write to a non-existent debug file, it will crash.

More on my problem:

This problem hasn't always been around, I think. In the beginning things worked out ok. I think.

I think I'll try re-installing. It's amazing what kind of problems that has solved before.

It's a rather clean dump to desktop. Once the explosion takes place (within or without my sight) the harddisk begins working and my fps drops (of course, with that much hdd activity) and after some random number of frames (less than 10, up to 2.5 seconds)it begins drawing my desktop instead of updating my game screen.

I can try recreating the debug logs with another such crash, and store them for later in case you want them. I couldn't find much of interest in them since they weren't anywhere near verbose enough.

*eagerly awaiting episode 2*

btw, aren't the rest of the episodes coming fairly fast, if they are gonna end with the gold release?

Yeah sorry, I didn't realize it had gone onto a second page yet...

Here goes:

Intel P3 450 MHz

128 Mb RAM

ati rage pro lt

ensonic-based soundblaster soundcard

Windows M.E.

DirectX 8

I cannot think of anything else that might have relevance.

If I do the second IA mission, I can blast orion 1 out of space, and at least sometimes orion 2 (don't know 'bout always), but when orion 3 goes, I'm at a blank desktop again.

Almost looks like there is specific items that cannot be allowed to blow up, if I'm to stay in the game.

quote:

Almost looks like there is specific items that cannot be allowed to blow up, if I'm to stay in the game.

Thats not true.

Use the /d1 flag and you'll be fine. Then again, you already knew this, right?

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Sometimes it shows the error, other times it just goes back to the desktop, and yet again, there are times where my computer locks up, and I am forced to hard reboot (pull the plug and put it back in, because my power button only turns on the comp and is controlled by bios).

Try pushing the power button and holding for five to ten seconds. It will then reboot oops turn off

[ 05-23-2001: Message edited by: Falcon ]

I have similar problems with the demo:

Sometimes the game freezes my system

Specs:

AMD Atlon 750

via based board

NVidia GForce 2 MX

296 MB RAM

Ethernet no name dual speed

2X IBM HDD

Trust 4D Soundcard

Win 98 SE

(System fresh installed, IE, Outlook Express and Demo, thats all)

First I Thought freezing only occours at exiting demo but then this does work.

Sometime in game I hear the "critical error" sound and my system freezes. Only thing I can do is reboot.

While rebooting windows starts and the system reboots a second time. then it works properly.

don't know why.

Cmdr Thorgan

GCV Dark Flame

Prime Fleet, Delta Wing

quote:

Use the /d1 flag and you'll be fine. Then again, you already knew this, right?

Yeah. And If you read what I wrote once more (I'm aware it's a lot!) you might find I dropped without /d and with /d1 and with /d2 and with /d3 and with /d4 - It happens anyway...