Installation issues

Supreme Cmdr

If you have an older version of the Windows Installer on your machine, Installshield will upgrade it. This will result in a system reboot.

If you have any virus checker or other programs running during install, they could cause a problem with Installshield, causing the installer to hang or take a while to complete. You are advised to terminate any and all such programs before attempting to install BCM.

BCM is designed to run under WIN98/WIN98SE/WINME/WIN2K. WINNT and WIN95 are NOT supported.

I have a solution to Thanatos's problem with the install. That is the exact problem I had when downloading the first versions of the demo that were released early at voodooextreme.com. It doesn't surprise me that there are still a few of those floating around.

It is DEFINATELY a corrupt install. Get the demo from another site. www.demonews.com or www.fileplanet.com

- Advil

-------------------------------------

Posted Earlier by Thanatos:

"...Installation Problems - Internal Error 2355

Downloaded the demo three different times from three different sites over the past four days from DSL Internet connection at work; downloaded to a Zip 100 disk and then installed on PC at home from the disk. Always the same problem: once the Windows Installer gets about 20% into "Copying new files,.." I receive the fatal message "BATTLECRUISER MILLENIUM Demo Installer Information" indicating "Internal Error 2355". Installation stops, and when I click "OK" on the error box, what installation has occurred is undone..."

I have tried to install on Low, Medium and High Skybox settings, with no success.

Download on the Zip disk indicates download size/properties of "91.7MB, (96,245,273 bytes), 96,245,760 bytes used".

POS System:

Micron Milleniun PII 450

Win 98 OS

64MB RAM

DirectX 8.0

VooDoo 3 PCI; drivers v1.07

Desktop set to HighColor - 16bit

800MB free diskspace

Norton AntiVirus disabled

(my other PC is a Porsche)

If I am guilty of not reading the FAQs properly, or if this problem has been asked and answered, I will run, not walk, to the nearest airlock and self-impose a read only exile.

Thanks for any light that can be shared in my installer-challenged dark cave. Maybe I need that new TetraHertz PC with 2gig videocard, huh?

Sleepless and sad in South Bend,

Doc Hoover

[This message has been edited by thanatos (edited 03-20-2001).]

Different system config. Exact same error. Got the game to run by renaming the 3000ad folder before ok'ing the error message. Then the uninstaller won't remove what it's already loaded. Ok'd the error. Then renamed folder back to 3000ad. Game runs fine so far?! Don't know what if anything is missing. I tried several different downloads at all resolutions and tweaked all the video settings per faq and discussion board. Oh well, as long as everything runs! cruise on!!

------------------

Cmdr Amadeus

GCV-Zarathustra, GENESIS (Moon)

Prime Fleet, Gamma Wing

Advil and Amadeus,

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I'll give them a try. Interesting Internal Error 2355 hasn't shown up before in any earlier discussions that I could find in other Demo posts/threads. I see Echo had some problems with this in the Beta version. Appears to be a local PC-OS thingie, unrelated to BCM.

Rick Hoover

[This message has been edited by thanatos (edited 03-21-2001).]

Guest Nanga

I ran into what seems to be the same problem and posted a workaround on the wrong topic. (Apologies)

Demo: HC

The installer does not work if the target directory is a junction. A junction is a directory entry that maps onto a separate partition (a shortcut to a different drive letter).

An odd occurence is the fact that the Installshield does not update the Windows installer after flagging it as old. This might be liked to a permission problem. Still looking...

Hope this helps.

---------

quote:

The installer does not work if the target directory is a junction. A junction is a directory entry that maps onto a separate partition (a shortcut to a different drive letter).

Good job! Looks like this one should go to the FAQ

------------------

See you out there, among the stars

Cmdr Nava, GCV Nemesis (Official BC3k tester)

I have a friend who had a weird problem. Here it is:

-----------------------------------------

p3 533EB

192mb sdram with i820 memory hub

ATI rage fury MAXX 64mb

40gigs HD

dx7 (dx8 not yet installed)

Win98SE french

no antivirus

DSL

Apache server

network+ICS

1- He starts the installer, start checking the computer.

2- High speed internet is closed (not him)

3- He is asked to reboot the computer, but apps are already being closed (the install haven't started to copy stuff)

4- The computer crash when windows 98SE in being closed, the hard-drive is going crazy.

5- The computer resets before the "closing computer" screen appears

6- Restart in safe mode without asking, do some vxd errors, ask to continue of reset... but the conputer crash again

7- restart windows, vxd error again (BSOD (?)), but can continue

8- copy some corrupted windows files from another computer via network

9- Restart. Seems alright after.

-----------------------------------------

cwm3.gif

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

GCV - StalkerIV, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

E5, remember, DirectX 8 is required for the game. You can choose what direct x 8 version you need here: Direct X EndUser Downloads

#1: Tell him to try closing everything else off before starting the install. Close everything other than windows, and press Control-Alt-Delete and end every task except for explorer and systray. Also, since he is running a server, tell him to either exit the program (and take down the network) or if it's important, MAKE SURE TO NOT CLOSE IT.

#2: The restart screen is required, because bcm needs to install a newer version of windows installer on most computers. After pressing that restart button on the win install updater, the computer should restart and continue with what is a traditional install, after booting up to windows.

I run ICS on win me, and its okay.

I'm not sure about the french windows version, but everything else should be working. Maybe tell him to go to Microsoft Windows Update

and downloading all the required and important updates (there are some updated hard drive windows drivers there and direct x updates) Check with him, and post some update if it worked or not.

------------------

Commander Alec Nova (Terran/Mercenary)

UCV Dark Outlaw (SpaceStar Class), Pixan Raider Starstation (Lennen)

-Independent Outlaw/Mercenary/Assasin For Hire

Will take most jobs from Covert-Ops, and Assasination,

to Recon, Trading, and Security Detail. Will Work for any Race/Caste/

Fleet, if you've got the cash. "Always want a challenge....."

"To me, luck is useless in life; especially if you've

got a bigger gun than the guy next to you."

Sorry, the link tags didn't work at first

[This message has been edited by Cmdr Nova (edited 03-24-2001).]

Dx8 is not need FOR the installation, it's needed ofr the game.

I haven't had time to check your anwser, but he put some windows files to read only and the installation was successful. We think it's about the microsoft installer upgrade.

The game rocks!!!

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

GCV - StalkerIV, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

Hey, E5, I clearly said that Dx8 was needed for the game (check above if you don't beleve me).

Well, glad to help, and yes I think this game rocks too.

Cool things to do:

1: Try BCStudio.exe (its in the folder where you install the demo, usually "C:Program Files3000adBattlecruiser Millennium Demo"). You can view the 3d models adnd rotate them and stuff. You can even map ship textures onto the Personel Models (be sure to not save the files or change them back before using bcm).

2: Listen to your own MP3s! If you've got some mp3 files you'd rather hear than the regular in-game music, copy them to the soundfxmusic subdirectory of your BCM demo folder, and then you can hear them by changing the in-game song # (alt-, or alt-.).

Guest Patgod

help me obi-wan-kenobi your my only hope

the windows installer doesnt seem to be updating itself(im not asked to reboot) i have downloaded the HC version twice(on a 56k that is hellx2)

when i install it get to 30ish % then i get internal error 2355.

running win2k sp1

Do you have enough disk space?

Did you defrag your disk?

Are you sure the download is not corrupt?

Installshield won't update the Windows Installer unless it finds an older version. Its the first thing it does.

Guest Patgod

caught your post on the taldren forums, good stuff smile.gif

anyway, ive got a good 20 gigs left, the disk is quite new, so defrag isnt a problem.

ive downloaded the file twice, and recieved the exact same error. the windows installer detects an outdated version, and after hanging for a good while(seems to be installing something, as the hard drive is working quite hard) then proceeds to the installation. then gets the 2355 error.

complete system specs:

Tbird athlon 900

128 of pc133 sdram(by crutial)

30.7 gig Maxtor hard drive-7200rpm, ata/100 support

voodoo 3 3000 agp vid card-16mb ram

SB PCI128 soundcard

56k pci modem

Windows 2000 Profesional SP1(loged in as admin with full priv)

no antivirus/firewall software running durning install.

[This message has been edited by Patgod (edited 03-26-2001).]

Thats very odd. This is the first time someone has reported such a problem with Installshield. You may want to go over to www.installshield.com and browse their support forums for that error code.

Also, clean out your C:WINNTTEMP folder as well.

AND you can also try going to www.microsoft.com and downloading the latest Windows Installer and upgrading it manually in WIN2K. This way, the Installshield in BCM, won't bother trying to upgrade it.

Let us know how it goes.

ps: as for those ladies over at Taldren, they have no clue who they're dealing with, do they? biggrin.gif

Guest Patgod

i would think EVERYONE on the net at least knows of derek smart.

but anyway, ill go look arround for the latest version of the installer. be back when i find it

God SC, You kill me!!

I just follow the links around and just laugh til I'm hoarse!! That was indeed GREAT STUFF!!!

cwm11.gif

------------------

CMDR Jaguar

GCV Armageddon, Starpath (Mars)

Prime Fleet, Delta Wing

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millennium

quote:

Originally posted by Patgod:

ive downloaded the file twice, and recieved the exact same error. the windows installer detects an outdated version, and after hanging for a good while(seems to be installing something, as the hard drive is working quite hard) then proceeds to the installation. then gets the 2355 error.

Patgod,

Where did you download that from? I recall the day the beta was released, there were a couple sites that had a corrupted version of that file. I got the HC version off of FilePlanet and it works fine. You're experiencing the same error I was getting when I downloaded from a site I'd never heard of before. The 2355 install error.

------------------

Guardian

Commander Greg Graham

UCV Devil's Advocate

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millennium