Install to drive other than c: ?

Guest Mike Laskey

Guest Mike Laskey

Hi,

Is there any way to install the demo to a drive other than C: ? I only have sufficient space on my D: partition, but even though I have the BCM file on D: and the temporary files are expanded there, the install complains of insufficient space. Can I edit the setup.ini or somehow force the .msi file to expand itself to D: ??

Thanks,

Mike.

Guest Mythandryll

You must ensure that you have enough space on the c: drive for temporary files generated by the installation: Free up as much space on c: --> deleate everying thing in windowstemp, and everything else you can lose. Had the same problem and this solved it.

------------------

The wise man who said that the pen was mightier than the sword, never rode in this Battlecruiser: Commander Mythandryll Atreidies, GCV Katana

Guest Mythandryll

Ps --- > I think you need just over 500 megs on c: for the install to be successful, so hopefully you will be able to free up that amount. Could be wrong about the number, but you need the space when the files are decompressed when you run the setup program.

------------------

The wise man who said that the pen was mightier than the sword, never rode in this Battlecruiser: Commander Mythandryll Atreidies, GCV Katana

I've never understood why people partition drives. You're just cheating yourself out of drive space.

Buy a cheap 4 gig hard drive and plug it in, that D: drive would be your best backup/pron drive you will ever have.

Ewps, my secret is out... wink.gif

Why partition drives? Because having 200 folders on c: is too much. And when one has some problems, you have a part of the stuff on your computer that is right (My friend had to backup 12 gigs when his D had problems).

Of course, partions of less than 10 gigs are useless

Hey, the installer had problems the first time on his p3: it said to need 800 gig (he counted the numbers) of temp space on C biggrin.gif

------------------

Commander Epsilon 5

GCV - StalkerIV, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Wraith liason officer, Deterrence Battle Group

www.orionfleet.com

'This Far, No Farther!'

Guest DustBuster

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

I've never understood why people partition drives. You're just cheating yourself out of drive space.

Thats not really true. Larger drives have larger virtual sektor sizes, this means that files takes up more space. By deviding it in partitions, the sector sizes for these will become smaller and therefore saving space.

This may also be a reason for creating partitions.

Partitioning can also be a safety feature. Say you completely screw up the FAT beyond all hope on one of the partitions and are forced to reformat. You only lose data on that one partition. The remaining partitions are unaffected.

It can also be used for disk fragmentation control. Some put application installations on one partion and one only. Since these files rarely get written to, that partion stays relatively unfragmented. On the other hand, data goes into a separate partition. Data is always changing and gets fragmented quickly. Why defragment your WHOLE disk (data + apps) when you can arrange things so you only need to defragment PART of it (data)?

------------------

Cmdr Alan Mach

GCV Cavanagh

Disk fragmentation control:

format C:

answer yes to the onscreen prompts.

Make sure you have backups.

------------------

Commodore Kyle Antilles

ICV-Eclipse, Destiny Starstation (Nevuela)

Commanding Officer, Destiny

Spectre Fleet

External Beta Tester

Battlecruiser Millennium

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

Ggh, don't tell me about partitioning! I'm the guy who let the automatic program set up his 40 gig HD and ended up with 20 2 gig partitions!

....Stop laughing damnit! cwm10.gif

So, anyways, to get slightly back on topic here, did Mike get his problem solved? Haven't heard back from him yet smile.gif

------------------

Commodore. Parias

ICV-Galatae, Sanctuary Storage Facility (Sygan)

Balor Fleet

External Tester

Battlecruiser Millenium

ICQ 1293359

Staff member at HardNews